Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S85 Battery Degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I lost 20 rated miles about a year ago, and the service center chalked it up to new software, but don't buy it. Im going to have my car serviced soon, so I want to be armed with as much information as possible before I bring it up again to service. That is my thoughts behind this thread.
You likely have a bad battery module and you need to insist that service check out your battery in greater detail.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Will be interesting to see how the new Tesla Battery Cell 2170 hold up.

I wonder if Tesla will offer a 2170 cell battery packs for those who will be willing to pay for out of warranty battery replacement. Or even better, for those who qualify for warranty replacement the option to upgrade to a 2170 battery pack if willing to pay the difference.

When can we expect to see the new 2170 cell battery showing up in Model S & X vehicles. Shortly after the Model 3 is available in AWD?

What size battery packs & ranges can we expect to see?

• Funny
Reactions: Brass Guy
90%: 234 rated miles
almost 100% (still charging): 261+

Dec 2014 build - 54K miles

1hobM-vvaSxiQSq6n9Z28s021RvmPQmijHe3QkVPp42BfjjDLHNn7LVUmDUG8oS3-3wavfXVM7tRhiV0F6PFDcv9nWlPeehHKlu-bPGHMVICWF9Y3CjKSUOMUqyHZ2pfimzRgbjddCv4tSZ-z0tF9On9x95Fb75ME_rfsIZdmz3ysniPb6oNL5WuaAz72vmV9dvozxqWYpDgE8G83HWYGpuu6p7q79pLaC2pUR1MQdw-woYHKwSQjoPmB_N-nnjV2wOgoAA_IVFWRZ7R7TZb99aGhP4P7sYCLWIPX9g56sMF4Em2jkuYPQAVewJxpOye_OIYNepP_20sxMTResXcFHzeQDgyrb8YcbydbTPqMzZM8r7sp0Oi_zG7jq4R8t6yxBeVTBzE8owA1XgQZoq2wyru5CSV4u7zbm5yjqHyWX8oHgBe2mcf9Bu69x4iTS6e9MpaE0YGU_BRB8T7puVuukVd0ddDHQ3VYqIVwbGKEY9WhMHNfbIczOFtH4IbvD6_dIMhF_HbcAbQf4Wv8DXx6GcPIEWunyYsBh6T7gDhuUnBMQdV7rdsU9Wrmiis_lNUpjgmvIAnD2fON5bxWlWGy-wBVQ8oM7vqUj-KNzZe=w786-h1283-no-tmp.jpg

Reactions: David99
So I re-checked today since I realized it has been longer than I thought since I last checked (I use the energy and not the distance option in Settings).

Curiously, I have the same level of degradation with an S90D after ~1 year and 26K Miles as I did with an S85 after ~2 years and 63K miles. The latter noted upthread.

3.75% in both cases.

I was told to expect ~5% or worse at 100,000 miles, so we’ll see.

In this case, it’s a moot point as I don’t plan to keep this AP2 car experiment/mistake a day longer than it takes to replace it with an AP1 S85 (RWD, full-sized frunk) similar to what I had before. There is a great example of the latter for sale now on this site with low miles, but it’s got a solid roof and I seem to have become somewhat of a pano ho it seems.

All in good time.

..but but but.. the panel gap on the left rear bumper is 2mm more than BMW. Tesla can't even make a car with Hundai/Kia quality. For a $100k car this is unacceptable.. they are a PoS.. blah blah blah..

Take a look at what Audi can manage when making an EV, bare in minds its still not in production, we are 6 years in from when the S launched, and Audi have had the opportunity to rip apart as many S/X cars to copy from....

250 miles range from the European WLTP cycle on a 95kWh pack!!!

For reference the new 40kWh Leaf has a WLTP range average of 177 and EPA of 151!!! I wonder the range would be like with 150K on the clock!!

Great work Audi all that effort in getting panel gaps right has produced probably the most magnificent world class leading EV when it comes to poor energy consumption:).

Audi confirms more ‘realistic’ range of ~250 miles for the e-tron quattro, puts car in a Faraday cage

• Funny
Reactions: Piney999
That’s not bad.
We have the 85D, with a "B" battery. It was ordered May, 2015, finished in July but wasn't delivered till August.
That was due to our request, anyway, our 100% at that time was 267.
The car currently has 23,000 miles on it and has never a major fault.
(minor issues like low heat, armrest loose)
The last time I did a 100% was on 12/2017 and it showed a loss of 1.8 mile.
Our average top charge is usually, 85% and our daily charge is 60%. My chart shows that the battery has an overall loss of 1.6 mile.
We basically only SC when on a trip and that makes our SC habit, a quarterly event.
Not sure if all of this is due to our charging habits being home based or not.

Last edited:
That’s not bad.

I consider it OK. I'm a little below the average but I also live in a relatively warm area.

One effect of degradation most people do not know about is reduced charging speed at Superchargers. Compared to when my car was new, I have to wait about 15-25% longer at each Supercharger. The range loss doesn't affect me in daily driving as I still have way more range than I need in a day. On road trips though it adds time.

• Informative
Reactions: Electroman