Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Per TeslaFi there was a burst of 10.3.1 downloads on the 25th and another on the 29th. Each release takes a couple days for everyone to actually install it as you can see below. When TeslaFi showed 250 downloads of 10.2, Elon said it was ~1000. So maybe 4,000 downloads 10/25 and 1,000 on 10/29? There are not the same number of downloads each day.:

Install History​

Date10/3110/3010/2910/2810/2710/2610/25
Installs41625596123939

I'm really interested to see how long it takes me to get in. I opted in last night for the first time, drove 102 miles, arriving home at 1:48am PT on October 31 (today), with a 100 score. I'm now not going to drive my car until next weekend (thanks, jury duty!).

We'll see what happens.

That’s nuts who drives like that long term. First FSD driving should not get scored at all. The algorithms should factor in the occasional bad driver who cuts in front of you. That’s the magic of Tesla’s data set. Each instance can be examined by AI and determine who‘s at fault. If the feature is not ready for prime time it should not be used to to calculate insurance rates or provide drivers who have paid for FSD access The ability to use it.
Fortunately, it is not long term. Just need enough to get FSD beta. I am glad I don't have to anymore. It was unsustainable since my wife cannot do it. She was banned for a while there.

• Funny
Reactions: dillon and lUtriaNt
We've been long proponents of FSD and were hoping to get the Beta. We are cautious drivers, and while we use NOP and Autosteer regularly, we keep a very attentive eye on things since we've seen many instances where NOP made bad or stupid decisions.

Our Safety Score is sitting at 96% because NOP keeps creating hits on our score. All of our hits have come while NOP was active. We've gotten two "hard brakings" when NOP "saw" a non-existent hazard and applied the brakes. Over time we've seen this behavior before...driving along with nothing on the road ahead of you and the car suddenly brakes and slows for a moment, before apparently realizing that there was nothing there and resumes operating normally. My wife also got a hard braking hit when NOP was failing to decelerate for stopped traffic ahead and she took over and braked.

Seems that the Safety Score is deeply flawed if the object is to identify careful attentive drivers if you get dinged for taking over when NOP makes poor decisions. Being attentive so you can take over seems the whole point.

We also keep getting hits for "following too close" while on NOP with the car spacing set to 4 and in heavy urban traffic where you need to tuck up close to others at lights and at very low speeds.

At this point I am pretty much resigned to never getting the Beta if the car keeps generating hits that prevent it anyway. Bah Humbug!

We've been long proponents of FSD and were hoping to get the Beta. We are cautious drivers, and while we use NOP and Autosteer regularly, we keep a very attentive eye on things since we've seen many instances where NOP made bad or stupid decisions.

Our Safety Score is sitting at 96% because NOP keeps creating hits on our score. All of our hits have come while NOP was active. We've gotten two "hard brakings" when NOP "saw" a non-existent hazard and applied the brakes. Over time we've seen this behavior before...driving along with nothing on the road ahead of you and the car suddenly brakes and slows for a moment, before apparently realizing that there was nothing there and resumes operating normally. My wife also got a hard braking hit when NOP was failing to decelerate for stopped traffic ahead and she took over and braked.

Seems that the Safety Score is deeply flawed if the object is to identify careful attentive drivers if you get dinged for taking over when NOP makes poor decisions. Being attentive so you can take over seems the whole point.

We also keep getting hits for "following too close" while on NOP with the car spacing set to 4 and in heavy urban traffic where you need to tuck up close to others at lights and at very low speeds.

At this point I am pretty much resigned to never getting the Beta if the car keeps generating hits that prevent it anyway. Bah Humbug!
Understand where you're coming from. I think it's important to remember it's not about being a good driver in general. It's about being a good driver in the way the system accounts for. And to that end, it's worth taking a minute to read exactly how the Five Safety Measures are calculated--if you haven't already.

It is frustrating but the best thing to say is it's a big like a game. And after a while you will get the hang of it as @mltv outlined below.

Toward the end I was pretty good at getting 100. I did not feel like I was driving like a grandma, speeding is OK
  • Keep a good distance from the car in-front. If in doubt go to autopilot and set to 7. What ever the distance is, I add a car length.
  • Always stop a car length from the car in-front
  • Never use the break, anticipate breaking situation and use regen.
  • Finger on the Autopilot trigger. I anticipate cars cutting in-front of me, trigger AP before they get to my lane.
  • Turn approximately 20-23mph or slower.

The thing that was the hardest for me--until I read the criteria in detail was the Unsafe Following, for example that it only kicks-in over 50mph. All that being said there is an element of luck to it; I had the same FCW in the beginning but they stopped after a while. If you believe you have a drive that includes a hard breaking event or a FCW then you can follow instructions to delete the trip by resetting when you come to a stop before parking and getting out of the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: K5TRX
My safety score is grading me on my autopilot drives. My 2018 model X has a radar sensor and continues to false forward collision warnings. Autopilot also breaks hard and irrationally at stop signs and stop lights. AP regularly takes turns at a high rate of speed and skews my high turn score.

The safety score app continually scores AP as following too closely? I assumed that AP would only allow the car to follow closely enough to enable braking that would prevent a collision.

Is AP following too close or is Safety Score scoring AP incorrectly?

Is anyone else having this problem. And does anyone know how to contact tesla support?
How much is it dragging the score down?

Anyone know of a database where users that made it into the Beta reported their specific hardware? The way my vehicle is scoring doesn't pass the sniff test. Had a hard braking (while on AP??) Anyway, Needed to get from .7 to .2 to end the day at 100 instead of 99. Got from .7 to .3 and no matter how much more the car experienced the lighter G's it would not go any lower. Very odd.

Just curious if any vehicles manufactured mid 2021 that reportedly sourced "alternative chips" fall into a pattern with safety score metrics.

Just opted in to the FSD beta tonight on my refresh S here in Seattle, - drove 102 miles. Score 100. Wonder how long I’ll have to wait for the FSD software to pop up. Will I have to wait (at least) 7 days if I just opted in?
Opting out and back in didn’t clear it for my wife’s 3 that has a 94.

I was trying her car since my S is an early 2017 that, while I have a 99 safety score, is disqualified due to the old cameras :(

Is there a trick? I opted out this morning. Then drove 177 miles round trip to a kid school activity and had a 99 fir that drive… but the average is still 94.
Did you wait for the safety score section to disappear from the Tesla app before re-enrolling?

Got from .7 to .3 and no matter how much more the car experienced the lighter G's it would not go any lower
You indeed want to get to 0.2% hard braking for 100 score (actually 0.26% rounded to displayed 0.3% would be enough). But if you started with 1 second of hard braking over 150 seconds of braking (0.66%), driving extra to get to 150 more seconds of braking reduces the factor to 0.33%. You would need to actually increase total braking time to 385 seconds -- 2.6x the original braking time -- to get the 100 score. So it's possible to increase the score to 100 by fixing hard braking, but it gets much harder to go from 99 score to 100. I've gone on empty streets accelerating to 25mph then slowing down to 0. Good thing the car is fast to accelerate; although I got motion sickness several days I needed to do this -- the things we do for FSD Beta…

I get "Unsafe Following" and "Hard Braking" hits all the time on AP... I had AP disengage tonight for a non-existent obstacle in the carpool lane and the big red steering wheel warning when a motorcycle cut me off...I figure there's no hope for me to get FSD Beta any time soon, especially since it looks like early AP 2.0 HW3 cars need camera changes, too....But it would be nice if they would release the new updates and new other features as a consolation prize to those of us who won't be Beta Testing lol...