Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good luck to all who are trying. We tried for a bit but driving around downtown Los Angeles and the surrounding 15 miles its impossible to avoid forward collision warnings. You have multiple car lengths and the person brakes hard to take a right turn or something and "ding" is over.

I mean, it sort of borders on unfair, you would have to leave like six car lengths on a 40 mph street.

Well, it will get down to those with 85s at some point. I can't believe the fleet average for forward collision warnings is so low.

Reactions: d21mike
I am OUT. I give up...

I thought I'd go for a drive at lunchtime to see if I could get my 97 up to maybe a 98. I drove gingerly for the 1 mile it is to the interstate, got on, got into position and put on AP. I drove for 35 miles on AP in light traffic, got to an exit ramp and disengaged. At the end of ramp is a traffic light that of course turns yellow as I approach - was about to go through (probably would have been red if I did), but I see a cop in the crossing lane, so of course, I hit the brakes. I knew I'd get a ding for that.

So I pull into a parking lot and figure I'd do OK since most of the 40 mile drive was on AP (they're basically free miles, right?). I was shocked to see I scored my worst ever - 84, dinged for hard braking and unsafe following. Other than the 30 seconds I wasn't on AP, there wasn't a car around me. I don't get it and frankly, I'm tired of caring. This was the second time I went out specifically to raise my score and ended up lowering it. I opted out then and there, cranked up the tunes and drove that car like a scalded cat on the way home. God, it felt good to get my car back!

Good luck to all of you still in the game! Anyone who's thinking about quitting, join me on the dark side. I may opt back in just to see how low a score I can get!

ME too! Autopilot seems to slam on the brakes. I am much less aggressive on the brakes than my Autopilot....

Also, Bumper to bumper traffic at 10-15MPH on the freeway dinged me for unsafe following distance the other day. Sitting at 97% at the moment.
Some people are reporting that you can reset your score.

- Opt out of Beta
- Wait for the safety score be removed from your mobile app
- Opt back in
- Drive 100 miles on 100

It does work. I was a 98 score, opted out yesterday lunchtime. Safety score disappeared from app by around 4pm and I re-opted in. This morning safety score was back in app. My 45mi drive to work this morning yielded a 100 overall score

Its hard to believe Tesla leaves this backdoors wide open to game their system. Hard to take this scoring system seriously and as nothing else but a way to throttle the widespread distribution. This method here, and the reboot your car to clear a drive from logging.

I am OUT. I give up...

I thought I'd go for a drive at lunchtime to see if I could get my 97 up to maybe a 98. I drove gingerly for the 1 mile it is to the interstate, got on, got into position and put on AP. I drove for 35 miles on AP in light traffic, got to an exit ramp and disengaged. At the end of ramp is a traffic light that of course turns yellow as I approach - was about to go through (probably would have been red if I did), but I see a cop in the crossing lane, so of course, I hit the brakes. I knew I'd get a ding for that.

So I pull into a parking lot and figure I'd do OK since most of the 40 mile drive was on AP (they're basically free miles, right?). I was shocked to see I scored my worst ever - 84, dinged for hard braking and unsafe following. Other than the 30 seconds I wasn't on AP, there wasn't a car around me. I don't get it and frankly, I'm tired of caring. This was the second time I went out specifically to raise my score and ended up lowering it. I opted out then and there, cranked up the tunes and drove that car like a scalded cat on the way home. God, it felt good to get my car back!

Good luck to all of you still in the game! Anyone who's thinking about quitting, join me on the dark side. I may opt back in just to see how low a score I can get!
Welcome!.. yes, I think there are examples like this that in the context of GAMEFICATION make us, WORSE drivers. I can’t wait to getting BACK to being a GREAT driver.

It was about a week ago, I was following about 3 lengths behind another car that went up and over a railroad crossing. Of course, THEN the LIGHTS went on for the RAILROAD crossing. Normally, there would be ZERO hesitation, assuming that there wasn’t a car following ME too close behind, I would lift off and BRAKE (god forbid) to stop before the lines or at worst, before the gates that were coming down. And, in that split second I thought and was pretty darn certain that there was NO question I could “make it” with a squirt of the GO peddle.. but in those few MILISECONDS yes, I lifted off and did what I was sure to be a HARD BRAKE situation to SAVE MY A.S! IF I hadn’t quit this Hunger Game the week prior (for an FTC that I missed since there were NO OTHER CARS ON THE ROAD), this would have been my last straw. Of course, I boinked it, and it wasn’t more than a few miles, but still - its broken and frankly not a true validation of driver competency and risk profiling.

Ah, but there's the rub - 'Drive 100 miles perfectly to score 100'. As several have noted, this is not a trivial exercise for many of us, depending on where we live.
Drive to an empty highway - reset before you park and get out of the car. After that drive 50 miles out and come back on AP. Park and make sure you got that 100 miles of 100 score. Rest of the drives you reset before parking, until you get FSD.

" We combine your daily Safety Scores (up to 30 days) into a mileage-weighted average to calculate the aggregated Safety Score, which is displayed on the main ‘Safety Score’ screen of the Tesla app."

So I interpret this to mean they are not simply going to look at all the data on say, unsafe following, and figure out that overall percentage, and incorporate that (and the same for the other elements) into the formula.

This makes for some interesting optimization strategies. For example, let's say you had some very bad hard braking, 5% or something, on your first drive of the day. Subsequently, you would not just want to do a lot of miles on that day on AP at a consistent speed - you'd also want to make sure you got a lot of good braking (presumably you could not use AP for this braking improvement process, since those events are masked, whether good or bad, when AP is "used appropriately") on that day to bring down that % number for that day. Otherwise you'd be in a situation where just a very small number of events gets inflated by all those AP miles (with no braking) when it comes to the mileage-weighted Safety Score . If it's a very bad result, and you really don't think you'd be able to get the number down even with some more driving, you might well want to avoid driving for the rest of that day, to avoid having the weight of those mistakes be high in the aggregated safety score. Whatever you do, you have to make sure that you bring down those percentages, and the more miles you've got on that day, the more important that those % numbers are low.

If they were just doing the aggregate of each event type over the entire window the result could be very different. In that case, the only thing AP miles would do is help with overall masking of events, and also bring down the FCW number.
Can anyone out there explain how I could possibly get a "1" Safety Score? I'm not perfect but all other days are about 95! Has this happened to anyone else?

Attachments

• 080CB706-49C5-4DAA-BC07-ABF8F4D1C94A.png
    080CB706-49C5-4DAA-BC07-ABF8F4D1C94A.png
    203.6 KB · Views: 81
Can anyone out there explain how I could possibly get a "1" Safety Score? I'm not perfect but all other days are about 95! Has this happened to anyone else?
If it hadn't been for your single FCW you would have had an 88.

EDIT: Actually, looks like 3 collision warnings (3FCW/30mi*1000mi/1000mi = 100FCW/1000mi). Best to avoid those.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: n.one.one
I'm new to this group but like you, have been struggling with the idiosyncrasies of the Safety Scoring algorithm. I have two questions:

1. Has anyone received the beta? How long did it take? What was your score?
2. My understanding is that 5 days of consecutive driving are needed to get started. If you unenroll/reenroll to reset your score, does the 5 day consecutive period need to be repeated?

Thanks to all,
Marcus
2020 S LR (96%)

I'm new to this group but like you, have been struggling with the idiosyncrasies of the Safety Scoring algorithm. I have two questions:

1. Has anyone received the beta? How long did it take? What was your score?
2. My understanding is that 5 days of consecutive driving are needed to get started. If you unenroll/reenroll to reset your score, does the 5 day consecutive period need to be repeated?

Thanks to all,
Marcus
2020 S LR (96%)
Right now you need a 100 score to get the Beta, Elon tweeted this weekend they will roll it out to people with a 99.

If you runenroll and reenroll you will need to get at least 100miles of driving to be considered for the beta. Unsure of how many days they will make you wait also...

Right now you need a 100 score to get the Beta, Elon tweeted this weekend they will roll it out to people with a 99.

If you runenroll and reenroll you will need to get at least 100miles of driving to be considered for the beta. Unsure of how many days they will make you wait also...
Really? A 99 gets it. I am mostly 100 with 2 99s. I’m hopeful.

I am OUT. I give up...

In fact, only that half mile count and that’s why you have a bad score. Because you had one or two things they don’t like in such a short distance. The AP miles are neutral, if you did good on your manual miles, they became added good miles for the day, otherwise they became bad miles for the day. This also means it is easy to fix within the day but after today, your are truly done for. Exact same thing happened to me last Sunday. 49 miles with one mile manual driving, got hard braking and aggressive turning due to fixing AP errors. That gave me 49 miles of <90 scores. My total score went from 100 to 95 after that drive. I fixed it the same day running circles for less than 10 miles and did some accer and decer maneuver (search my earlier post). At the end of the day I’m 99 with 52 miles to go for 100 (in the later days)

If it is still time today for you, don’t give up yet.

I am still trying to get back up to 99%. I had a couple bad days, and I learned that for me, don't use AP cause there is too much risk of it doing something to mess my score up.

The biggest issue that I can't figure out is how to get my Unsafe following score back down. I don't see AP even helping there because even on 7 it will follow too closely depending on traffic conditions. I did a 35 mile trip on my way home from work today and I was constantly counting seconds to the car in front of me and I still got a 9% unsafe following for the trip. I just don't understand how they are measuring that metric.

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I am still trying to get back up to 99%. I had a couple bad days, and I learned that for me, don't use AP cause there is too much risk of it doing something to mess my score up.

The biggest issue that I can't figure out is how to get my Unsafe following score back down. I don't see AP even helping there because even on 7 it will follow too closely depending on traffic conditions. I did a 35 mile trip on my way home from work today and I was constantly counting seconds to the car in front of me and I still got a 9% unsafe following for the trip. I just don't understand how they are measuring that metric.
Unsafe following is not even counted when on AP. You have to be off AP and within 1-3 seconds for to be considered good following.