Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage Car Owners Support Group.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla plans to launch such a “basic toolbox” next year. Is no excuse for leaving us high and dry until then. Least they could do in the meantime is offer programming services for those of us that need them...

Even with this though, I feel like there will be a lot to be desired. MCU dies out of warranty? I should 100% be able to pull a compatible unit from a junkyard and flash it to work with my car. We’ll see what they give us.
Really? Well that's promising.

I agree with your that it needs to enable anything that's required for "repair" of the car. Examples:

- Tesla wouldn't sell me a 12V battery because the newer model requires that the car configuration be changed to reflect a newer replacement battery model

- I have a repaired charger sitting on my shelf I can't reinstall, because when it died I didn't know it was repairable (just a blown fuse actually), and had my car converted by the service center to a single-charger car. They won't re-install a repaired charger, and I don't have the tools to reconfigure it.

- Somebody online just posted they scored some fog-lights from a salvage. Despite being installed, they can't tell the car configuration that, so they have no way of being turned on.

- In order to do a basic coolant air purge, you need to command the pumps/valves for specific action

There are a myriad more... I have a service manual for the car, but can't accomplish a myriad of the procedures, not because of mechanical issues, but because of computer configuration issues. And none of those are exotic or involve the high-voltage stuff...

Attachments

• 80B312CC-1F63-47BB-BC34-25CE8F4A3998.jpeg
    80B312CC-1F63-47BB-BC34-25CE8F4A3998.jpeg
    284.4 KB · Views: 159
  • 98C8BE0B-12FC-4B30-A3E3-DB61648E8760.jpeg
    98C8BE0B-12FC-4B30-A3E3-DB61648E8760.jpeg
    476.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 489724E1-64BB-49F0-BB30-F772A46A7FCE.jpeg
    489724E1-64BB-49F0-BB30-F772A46A7FCE.jpeg
    371.2 KB · Views: 133
  • 3CD60B82-5740-4FF1-9E5A-283BD8044E65.jpeg
    3CD60B82-5740-4FF1-9E5A-283BD8044E65.jpeg
    398.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 0FC9A1F2-CE5E-49FE-899E-4DCA6A4AC896.jpeg
    0FC9A1F2-CE5E-49FE-899E-4DCA6A4AC896.jpeg
    269.8 KB · Views: 148
  • F64CB74F-F285-4117-899E-E2A1A456FF5B.jpeg
    F64CB74F-F285-4117-899E-E2A1A456FF5B.jpeg
    387.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 9D807377-C509-441F-8961-CACF6A1147B6.jpeg
    9D807377-C509-441F-8961-CACF6A1147B6.jpeg
    339.4 KB · Views: 122
  • A23312CD-75AC-44FA-B084-7D0FB7844121.jpeg
    A23312CD-75AC-44FA-B084-7D0FB7844121.jpeg
    342.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 54EE6A12-9032-4C89-A4E1-EF73DFD03DA2.jpeg
    54EE6A12-9032-4C89-A4E1-EF73DFD03DA2.jpeg
    544.4 KB · Views: 129
  • DD9A20AB-9E03-44E1-BAB7-94FA2DC5CABC.jpeg
    DD9A20AB-9E03-44E1-BAB7-94FA2DC5CABC.jpeg
    416.8 KB · Views: 137
They started to tear off the skin and realized somewhere in there there was an issue that ended up totaling the car. Proceed with caution. You have a rivet job on your hands with the rear QP at least, and Tesla wont sell you the part, so you'll need to find an intact one.. which i personally dont think exists (in a form that can be put back on a car after being taken off one).

FYI pre bids arent even close in terms of a reflection of ending bids. Ive seen bids nearly double the prebid for exotics and other high priced cars

• Informative
Reactions: albatore
1st experience with Tesla on my recently purchased salvage car.

Car is showing 12v battery needs replacing soon. I don't have any shops local to me. 1st shop I called in Atlanta told me they ca't ship the battery at all since its hazmat. I argued saying that unless it was manufactured in Atlanta it must have been somehow shipped to him. I explained any ground service (UPS, FEDEX ground) will ship batteries no problem. Nope won't do it. (got disconnected not sure if it was my cell or he hung up)

Called jaksonville. This guy was a bit more helpful and willing to ship but then asked for my VIN to "check and make sure its the right battery." I asked if he had other model S batteries and he said yes there are two kinds. I told him exactly what I needed the C&D battery an he said he needed to VIN for the sales order. Fine I gave it to him and he said he would call back with the total after shipping. He calls back with "do you know this car is salvage?" And I cannot sell you the part. after a little back and forth said fine an hung up. Unbelievable they won't even sell you a 12v battery.

Reactions: albatore
Tesla calls back with "do you know this car is salvage?" And I cannot sell you the part. after a little back and forth said fine an hung up. Unbelievable they won't even sell you a 12v battery.

Battmobile sells MUCH longer-life, lighter weight lithium 12V battery replacements to everyone. They're referenced many places here on TMC forum and I've seen one in person and what I will buy in the future, but I can't recall their website for sure right now. Probably battmobile.com or some variation. Definitely worth the time to look it up!

Good luck!

Really? Well that's promising.

I agree with your that it needs to enable anything that's required for "repair" of the car. Examples:

- Tesla wouldn't sell me a 12V battery because the newer model requires that the car configuration be changed to reflect a newer replacement battery model

- I have a repaired charger sitting on my shelf I can't reinstall, because when it died I didn't know it was repairable (just a blown fuse actually), and had my car converted by the service center to a single-charger car. They won't re-install a repaired charger, and I don't have the tools to reconfigure it.

- Somebody online just posted they scored some fog-lights from a salvage. Despite being installed, they can't tell the car configuration that, so they have no way of being turned on.

- In order to do a basic coolant air purge, you need to command the pumps/valves for specific action

There are a myriad more... I have a service manual for the car, but can't accomplish a myriad of the procedures, not because of mechanical issues, but because of computer configuration issues. And none of those are exotic or involve the high-voltage stuff...

Totally agree. I pulled a charger from a wrecked car, but it was lacking the wiring between the chargers and HVJB, it probably went with the HVJB which was already gone. Those tiny wires cost "almost nothing", but they are restricted parts, so I can't buy them. And, if I could (and I will probably somehow, sometime find them in another wrecked car), I would still be stuck with the 2nd charger needing to be programmed with the Toolbox software. Of course they won't install the charger themselves either, as long as it is not bought new through them. So, right now I am stuck, but I still bought the charger, in hope that it will at some point be possible to solve.

I was also the "fog light guy". Even such a minor, totally harmless item is out of the question for Tesla to enable using the diagnostic/programming software. Other brands will do this without a question if you pay half an hour labor or so.

I like the car, but I am starting to hate the company policies more and more.

Nope, there is damage to the high strength steel "B" pillar. You would have to replace the entire passenger side of the cars unibody.
This is what I thought and the reason I did not buy it. I was not comfortable since I do not know a good body shop to perform the repair yet.. also I was not sure of how much I would need to pay to find the B pillar and rear fender.
The car got sold for $38,500, maybe the people you bought it believe it was just going to be the doors that needed to be replaced.

By the way, I used to go a lot to Greenville... very nice city !

Reactions: jelloslug
This is what I thought and the reason I did not buy it. I was not comfortable since I do not know a good body shop to perform the repair yet.. also I was not sure of how much I would need to pay to find the B pillar and rear fender.
The car got sold for $38,500, maybe the people you bought it believe it was just going to be the doors that needed to be replaced.

By the way, I used to go a lot to Greenville... very nice city !
Changes are that that particular car will be used as parts to fix a front end damage car and then parted out.