Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage Car Owners Support Group.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As my MS85 is unsupported my certs are out of date and I have no app access. I have root and a NanoPi installed into the car.

Now that it has turned cold here, what commands can I use to precondition the cabin through the NanoPi? Is there a way to activate the climate control remotely through the shell?

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I have been driving a salvage model x 100d for the last 19 months that I repaired, the car is unsupported, no software updates or supercharging
a few months ago I took it to tesla to get the ccs2 retrofit installed, expecting them to say this cant be done. they fitted it and then it could ccs charge on third-party chargers! (but supercharging was still blocked) also after they were done installing the ccs upgrade, the car started to software update as well and has been receiving regular updates since!
a few days ago I noticed that the "trip planner (beta)" option reappeared under the navigation tab, this was previously not there, so I just went to the supercharger and it worked for the first time! it even auto-billed my card for the session. I'm not sure why this is, but now my car seems to do everything a normal tesla should apart from the warranty!
Has anyone experienced anything similar?
Hi Alecxander, this is wonderful. Did they tell you something about the official Tesla policy (at least in the UK) regarding 3rd party DC charging of salvage vehicles? Do you think you can contact them and ask them about this?

I have been driving a salvage model x 100d for the last 19 months that I repaired, the car is unsupported, no software updates or supercharging
a few months ago I took it to tesla to get the ccs2 retrofit installed, expecting them to say this cant be done. they fitted it and then it could ccs charge on third-party chargers! (but supercharging was still blocked) also after they were done installing the ccs upgrade, the car started to software update as well and has been receiving regular updates since!
a few days ago I noticed that the "trip planner (beta)" option reappeared under the navigation tab, this was previously not there, so I just went to the supercharger and it worked for the first time! it even auto-billed my card for the session. I'm not sure why this is, but now my car seems to do everything a normal tesla should apart from the warranty!
Has anyone experienced anything similar?
I’m interested to know whether this is still the case for you? Perhaps they have reverted their stance on banning supercharging for salvage models?

Picked up a savage Model 3 Performance which apparently still has the free supercharging for life enabled, and I’m wondering…if supercharging does in fact work with this car, is there any downsides to me just keeping the car in valet / guest mode rather than adding the car to my Tesla account? I understand that the free supercharging only applies to the 1st owner, but since I haven’t actually added the car to my Tesla account will I still be able to get the free charging?

To me it would be much more beneficial to have free supercharging than to have the personalisation of the car being under my Tesla account. But I guess there will be some things I have to compromise if I have to keep the car in some sort of guest mode going forward?

Picked up a savage Model 3 Performance which apparently still has the free supercharging for life enabled, and I’m wondering…if supercharging does in fact work with this car, is there any downsides to me just keeping the car in valet / guest mode rather than adding the car to my Tesla account? I understand that the free supercharging only applies to the 1st owner, but since I haven’t actually added the car to my Tesla account will I still be able to get the free charging?

To me it would be much more beneficial to have free supercharging than to have the personalisation of the car being under my Tesla account. But I guess there will be some things I have to compromise if I have to keep the car in some sort of guest mode going forward?
Would leave it off any account for now but eventually the car will get flagged..

I now have a t-can pro and full toolbox access. I'm happy to loan either out for a small fee.

Tcan works well for mcu2 hardware if it does what you need...it's a bit limited but does do some basic crash data resets and trouble code reading. Toolbox is reserved for mcu1 cars unless you have a way (or know a person) to root mcu2 but I haven't found a source for mcu2 root yet.

I now have a t-can pro and full toolbox access. I'm happy to loan either out for a small fee.

Tcan works well for mcu2 hardware if it does what you need...it's a bit limited but does do some basic crash data resets and trouble code reading. Toolbox is reserved for mcu1 cars unless you have a way (or know a person) to root mcu2 but I haven't found a source for mcu2 root yet.
Would the tcan pro allow reading cid data from an mcu1 to write onto an mcu 2 as part of an mcu retrofit?

Wanted to know its capabilities before investing in the license.

That isn't consistent with their policy: Additional Resources | Tesla

Actually, having owned 2 salvage teslas, it is (and is spelled out in the fine print of the link you provided). You have to go through an expensive HV certification process in order to get Tesla to then touch anything with the car. And the warranty is voided on everything with the salvage title, so if they will touch things, it's all billable. The only exception I've ever encountered were NTHSA-mandated recalls.

You have to go through an expensive HV certification process in order to get Tesla to then touch anything with the car.
First, last I heard, it is only, so not that expensive. Second they will work on non-HV related items without the HV certification. (So for example you could pay $200 to upgrade your cell board from 3G to LTE without having to go through the HV certification process.)

First, last I heard, it is only, so not that expensive. Second they will work on non-HV related items without the HV certification. (So for example you could pay $200 to upgrade your cell board from 3G to LTE without having to go through the HV certification process.)

This is extremely service center by service center, even if you give them their website. Some simply won't do it. I have 5 services centers within an hour drive, and only 2 of them will "accommodate my requests". Mind you, that's even with me knowing someone that was VERY high up in Tesla's legal department (VP level - since moved on).

Hello everyone. I am hoping this is a good spot to get some advice. I met a guy selling a 2018 model S with a salvage title (licensed and titled in California). He is looking to sell and I am interested but have ZERO experience with salvaged cars. The car drives and operates normally, supercharges currently with no issues, has FSD and that works as well. I currently have no information on why the car was totaled or who did what repairs. The car is a steal based upon current prices (not too good to be true type numbers but enough to make me think twice).

I am wondering if me buying it and moving the title/registration to Washington will cause it to be flagged by Tesla as being salvaged and create issues? Overall, if the vehicle works the way it should and I can substantiate the repairs that were done why should I not buy it (other than the obvious, no warranty, no way to confirm the earlier work, etc)?

Thanks all for any help/support you can provide!

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Hello everyone. I am hoping this is a good spot to get some advice. I met a guy selling a 2018 model S with a salvage title (licensed and titled in California). He is looking to sell and I am interested but have ZERO experience with salvaged cars. The car drives and operates normally, supercharges currently with no issues, has FSD and that works as well. I currently have no information on why the car was totaled or who did what repairs. The car is a steal based upon current prices (not too good to be true type numbers but enough to make me think twice).

I am wondering if me buying it and moving the title/registration to Washington will cause it to be flagged by Tesla as being salvaged and create issues? Overall, if the vehicle works the way it should and I can substantiate the repairs that were done why should I not buy it (other than the obvious, no warranty, no way to confirm the earlier work, etc)?

Thanks all for any help/support you can provide!

As with any salvage title, you need to do your homework to find out why the car was deemed a total loss. Googling the VIN is usually a good start as you can often find images of the car when it was sold at auction after the damage.

A Tesla can be deemed a total loss for a number of reasons. Can be something as simple as minor body damage due to hail or severe as a serious collision. That does not mean the car is not worth it as there are many people who own/drive salvage Teslas.

Here are some considerations:
1. Flagging for supercharging - this is a question of when - not if. Tesla will eventually find and flag the VIN for this car to disable supercharging. Might be today, might be tomorrow, might be next year. As long as you are okay with not being able to supercharge, that should not deter you.

2. Tesla will not work on a salvage car unless you go through their recertification process where they inspect the car and confirm that it is in safe condition so if you want to be able to bring the car to a service center, be prepared for that.

Good luck with your search and purchase.

Reactions: FlatSix911
As with any salvage title, you need to do your homework to find out why the car was deemed a total loss. Googling the VIN is usually a good start as you can often find images of the car when it was sold at auction after the damage.

A Tesla can be deemed a total loss for a number of reasons. Can be something as simple as minor body damage due to hail or severe as a serious collision. That does not mean the car is not worth it as there are many people who own/drive salvage Teslas.

Here are some considerations:
1. Flagging for supercharging - this is a question of when - not if. Tesla will eventually find and flag the VIN for this car to disable supercharging. Might be today, might be tomorrow, might be next year. As long as you are okay with not being able to supercharge, that should not deter you.

2. Tesla will not work on a salvage car unless you go through their recertification process where they inspect the car and confirm that it is in safe condition so if you want to be able to bring the car to a service center, be prepared for that.

Good luck with your search and purchase.
I thought they were allowing salvaged cars to supercharge now? Did that go away again?