Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage Car Owners Support Group.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Changing drive units can be complicated. Also, if you change a small one for a large one (making a performance version out of the AWD version), you might want to change the battery pyrofuse to allow higher current. I don’t know the details, but I guess you need to change the configuration, since the car is aware of which drive units are installed.

@wk057 figured everything out regarding drive units, but he might be difficult to reach…

• Informative
Reactions: Wim_V and henderrj
I don’t want to upgrade. I have a RWD with a small internal coolant leak (the famous PTFE seal). It drives perfectly, but I noticed some condensation on the encoder.

Since it’s my daily driver (and I wanted to buy a LDU for another project anyway), I wanted to buy a second hand LDU, rebuild it and swap it in my car.

I’m sure wk057 knows the answer to this, I’ve read a lot of his postings. I do understand that he is very busy and probably gets a lot of questions daily, therefor I haven’t try to reach him.

Wk057: if you perhaps read this and could give my an answer, I would really appreciate it! :D

I don’t want to upgrade. I have a RWD with a small internal coolant leak (the famous PTFE seal). It drives perfectly, but I noticed some condensation on the encoder.

Since it’s my daily driver (and I wanted to buy a LDU for another project anyway), I wanted to buy a second hand LDU, rebuild it and swap it in my car.

I’m sure wk057 knows the answer to this, I’ve read a lot of his postings. I do understand that he is very busy and probably gets a lot of questions daily, therefor I haven’t try to reach him.

Wk057: if you perhaps read this and could give my an answer, I would really appreciate it! :D

Go to 057 Technology, offer to pay for their time and they will help you. This is a business, so they do need to make money.

Reactions: bkp_duke and Krash
I did a swap about 3 years ago on the P85 in my sig. It required a firmware re-deploy for the car for the drive unit to talk to the car properly because the drive unit was from a car with a different firmware version. I didn't do the re-deploy myself, I had the guy that rooted my car log-in remotely and do it, took him about an hour.

This was a like-for-like drive-unit swap, just a revision number change.

Sounds like a Full Software reinstall which you can do if you can get your car in Service Mode. Friend connected his laptop to my MCU then put my car in Service Mode using Toolbox then disconnected and I was able to reinstall on my own and exit service mode. He also showed me how to disable the service mode speed limiter so I can drive it home first to do reinstall because it takes awhile.

• Informative
Reactions: brainhouston
I did a swap about 3 years ago on the P85 in my sig. It required a firmware re-deploy for the car for the drive unit to talk to the car properly because the drive unit was from a car with a different firmware version. I didn't do the re-deploy myself, I had the guy that rooted my car log-in remotely and do it, took him about an hour.

This was a like-for-like drive-unit swap, just a revision number change.
Thanks for the information!
Are you sure that it was only a redeploy or did he need to do more?

Not to overly complicate things, but cars with LDUs installed after mid June 2017 carry the DU01 option code.

Don’t spend too much time searching to determine what the difference is. I don’t think anyone knows. Maybe inverters. But if anyone has trouble putting a post June 2017 in a pre, or vice versa, that would be a place to start.

Pretty sure there is no gateway config code for DU0x.

Last edited:
So I've discovered that my FDU right rear mount is cracked but i can't seem to find the part anywhere n its restricted in epc
There're couple on eBay but they look different...
Anyone had any experience with this?
Also strange that this item is not in service or collision documents...

1660233378730.png

I do not recommend you take the MCU apart unless you have extensive experience with electronics. Several forum members here have permanently damaged the MCU doing this. You also usually damage other parts of the car getting it out. (Such as the upper dashboard pad) If Tesla is going to do something to the car, they likely already have, so going to all that trouble usually doesn't do any good. If you still feel you must do this, the quick way is to unplug the antenna connections (one in each side-view mirror), these connectors are accessible behind each door panel.

I can assist with diagnostics, and I have a remote access app that gives you full control of the car, everything Tesla's has but more options and access to all diagnostic data anytime you like. This is essential for when you have problems. I can also disable Tesla's access but preserve the internet connection and allow navigation to work properly.

I can also restore any options Tesla may have disabled, such as Supercharging. I also will explain all the faults and alerts to you so you know what they mean.
Hi I just got my super charging turn off and trying to see if anything can be done I also got the module installed for ccs charging but it says I need some software configuration can you help I got an Ethernet cable but really need some help figuring out how to fix everything please let me know

Reactions: Ebkbk