Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage cars: Tesla permanently disabling SC from supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn’t realise the super chargers that non Tesla vehicles are using go through a different protocol! Does that mean a salvage Tesla can supercharge on a Tesla Supercharger that has been opened up to all vehicles? Has anyone tried this?
The question is how do you get a Tesla to report itself to the supercharger as a non-Tesla? I presume if the supercharger station identifies you as a Tesla it'll go back to using a supercharger protocol, instead of a CCS protocol.

The other assumption is your car doesn't have CCS charging disabled on the car side (apparently older Model S/X may have all DC charging disabled on car side).

Reactions: Boeingpilot
The question is how do you get a Tesla to report itself to the supercharger as a non-Tesla? I presume if the supercharger station identifies you as a Tesla it'll go back to using a supercharger protocol, instead of a CCS protocol.

The other assumption is your car doesn't have CCS charging disabled on the car side (apparently older Model S/X may have all DC charging disabled on car side).
You tell the app to activate certain SC post for charging a non-Tesla car. But the car must be connected prior to asking the app. My car can’t SC anyway, so I’ll try after getting an error.

• Informative
Reactions: brainhouston
i doubt Tesla will ever change their stance on Salvage, multiple ppl have tried to no avail...
but honestly, as long as there're hackers that can unlock DC charging n lock Tesla out, that's all we need
hope Tesla will never find out how its done!
salvage cars lose warranty anyways so i don't see much need for Tesla, just need more ppl/shops get familiar n work on these cars
might start something myself since i like to do it as a hobby already :)
If you hear of someone who can make a 3 supercharge again, I’m interested.

Reactions: brainhouston
Same. 2020 M3P here and keen to use SC network again. When I got the car back on the road in January I was supercharging al the time with no issues, until end of August when it suddenly got disabled. I still don’t know what triggered it. Does anyone have details on exactly how it gets disabled? Is there a team that go through and make sure any salvaged cars have had their SC disabled? Could it have been due to a recent software update I installed? Could it be because I only did a reset of my centre screen (two steering buttons held down) for the first time ever in August? I’d love to know what triggered it to be disabled.

will keep an eye out but my guess is no loophole found to get into gateway...

Same. 2020 M3P here and keen to use SC network again. When I got the car back on the road in January I was supercharging al the time with no issues, until end of August when it suddenly got disabled. I still don’t know what triggered it. Does anyone have details on exactly how it gets disabled? Is there a team that go through and make sure any salvaged cars have had their SC disabled? Could it have been due to a recent software update I installed? Could it be because I only did a reset of my centre screen (two steering buttons held down) for the first time ever in August? I’d love to know what triggered it to be disabled.
Tesla reconciles their 'blacklisted' database regularly with something like Carfax, information on salvage status is widely available.
Its just a matter of time till they disable it, some ppl get to use SC longer some don't. Its nothing u did.

Why not just get CCS working? For model 3 it should be easy

will keep an eye out but my guess is no loophole found to get into gateway...

Tesla reconciles their 'blacklisted' database regularly with something like Carfax, information on salvage status is widely available.
Its just a matter of time till they disable it, some ppl get to use SC longer some don't. Its nothing u did.

Why not just get CCS working? For model 3 it should be
CCS1 or CCS2? I’m based in UK so have always used CCS2 anyway, and I’m blocked from using SC via a CCS2 connector (haven’t tried the other connector that comes on SC chargers, assume it’s CCS1? How does it differ?)

Is there something I’m missing?

Model S owner who just bought a car, unknown it was salvage. SC all the way home 300 miles and just got cut off 2 days ago after 3 weeks of charging. Can anyone help?

6 years ago you could call Tesla, before buying a car from a third party, and they would answer your questions. I was assured that the car was under full warranty and had super charging for life no problem. For 5 years they did give me all sorts of warranty repairs as well as the free supercharging. We moved to a new state, and without any sort of warning, we were suddenly cut off.

After more than a year of study and going back and forth, it turns out it was legitimately a salvage vehicle. Was a strange circumstance, and wasn't recorded properly by my state. I believed Tesla should take some responsibility, they disagreed. I've gone through our state's attorney general, written all sorts of lawyers at tesla, all to no available. When they offered to reinstate the supercharging for a fee, I paid the fee and everything's worked fine since then.

I thought I'd take them to court, but didn't. Not worth the hassle in my life. We are retired now, and I did lose a good $20,000 in value in the vehicle. We were going to upgrade from an S to an x, but now we will not be able to afford to. That's life, and I like the car, and I don't really care. At least, not enough to burn my life away in a courtroom.

Pay the fee, buy the warranty from 057 tech, and get on with life.

Schedule with Tesla to get the HV and Supercharging inspections.
Am I missing something new? As of 2022 there has never been a supercharging inspection, or a single instance of Tesla re-enabling supercharging on a salvage Model S/X. (3/Y salvage get supercharging, because they pay.)
Did Tesla change their policy in 2023? If not, then the HV inspection does nothing except permit a service center to work on your vehicle (excludes changing supercharging settings.)

@fangers Sell the car and buy a different one if you want supercharging. If it's salvage then you must unplug the maroon cellular antenna plug from the back of the MCU before you even turn the car on for the first time (and keep it disconnected forever, and never visit a service center). Hopefully no one else turned on the car after the salvage branding, because once it boots up and connects to the Tesla mothership, it's game over.

Am I missing something new? As of 2022 there has never been a supercharging inspection, or a single instance of Tesla re-enabling supercharging on a salvage Model S/X. (3/Y salvage get supercharging, because they pay.)
Did Tesla change their policy in 2023? If not, then the HV inspection does nothing except permit a service center to work on your vehicle (excludes changing supercharging settings.)

@fangers Sell the car and buy a different one if you want supercharging. If it's salvage then you must unplug the maroon cellular antenna plug from the back of the MCU before you even turn the car on for the first time (and keep it disconnected forever, and never visit a service center). Hopefully no one else turned on the car after the salvage branding, because once it boots up and connects to the Tesla mothership, it's game over.
Near the end of last year they started offering it:

While they will re-enable it now after passing the somewhat expensive "safety" inspection, they enable it as pay-per-use. Never back to free supercharging, even if the car originally had it. They also disable free premium connectivity and you have to pay for that if you want it, even if the car originally had that included also.

So far, it seems to be a loaded dice roll. Especially on S's, they seem to find very minor things to use as an excuse to fail the inspection. I've stopped recommending customers with salvage cars go through with it unless they absolutely must have supercharging and are willing to pay potentially insane amounts to get it.

The biggest issue seems to be that most salvage cars are handled by heavy equipment at one point or another while inoperable. This tends to leave purely cosmetic scrapes and scratches under the car from handling. You'd never even see them normally nor do they matter or affect anything whatsoever. Well, Tesla can disqualify a vehicle from the safety inspection for scrapes on the bottom of the battery pack. These have zero impact whatsoever on safety, but it's an excuse they have in the paperwork for rejecting the car which effectively gives them an out on almost any salvage vehicle they want to reject. We've had customers contact us looking for replacement batteries on perfectly functional cars in order to try and pass this arbitrary inspection Tesla wants. They either want you to pay them for all repair services right then and there ($15k+ for a replacement battery, for example), or you can go elsewhere and pay them to again to re-inspect the car afterwards (another expensive gamble).

To me, I don't think they should be allowed to change anything on a car without the owner's permission, and if the car came with a feature and had it when it was wrecked, it should have it when it's repaired regardless of who did the repair without any hurdles from the manufacturer... but I seem to be in the minority opinion on this somehow around here. I'm also not 100% sure how this is legal for Tesla to do at all (seems almost like extorsion), but IANAL.

While they will re-enable it now after passing the somewhat expensive "safety" inspection, they enable it as pay-per-use. Never back to free supercharging, even if the car originally had it. They also disable free premium connectivity and you have to pay for that if you want it, even if the car originally had that included also.
at least one confirmed case they kept the FUSC

Reactions: MP3Mike
at least one confirmed case they kept the FUSC
Fluke.

I've been directly involved with or otherwise in contact with people having the inspection done on at least 15 cars since they changed the policy to allow supercharging to be re-enabled on salvage cars. None of them have free supercharging anymore.

Fluke.

I've been directly involved with or otherwise in contact with people having the inspection done on at least 15 cars since they changed the policy to allow supercharging to be re-enabled on salvage cars. None of them have free supercharging anymore.

I usually find myself agreeing with you, and I'm not questioning the experiences you had, but I have free supercharging and free premium connectivity on mine after the inspection.

My S had been under warranty and using the supercharging for more than 5 years, all the time I owned it, (over 200k miles). And now I have your extended battery warranty.

Apparently it was erroneously not labeled as a salvage before I bought it (at 38K miles). Tesla has even given me quite a bit of warranty repair including two replacement drive units. It was tagged as salvaged when we moved to a new state and licensed it here.

Anyway, it doesn't cost anything for me to charge. It appears not to be free at first, the amount you're going to pay rises as it charges, but as soon as you unplug, it goes back to zero.

Oh, they've also done non warranty repair since I had the inspection done. Needed my air conditioning worked on.

Hope this helps someone.