Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage cars: Tesla permanently disabling SC from supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I usually find myself agreeing with you, and I'm not questioning the experiences you had, but I have free supercharging and free premium connectivity on mine after the inspection.

I mean, it's specifically in their policy that both become pay-to-use things after the recertification... so anyone getting them left alone is fine by me, but that's not how they're supposed to be doing it per their own policy, and I've not dealt directly with any vehicle that this has gone any other way on.

If they mess up and give you back free charging, hey good for you. Mum's the word.

It also wouldn't surprise me if they eventually just run a script to get that evil bot of theirs to fix this on all affected cars.

Anyway, it doesn't cost anything for me to charge. It appears not to be free at first, the amount you're going to pay rises as it charges, but as soon as you unplug, it goes back to zero.

This is unusual. I can't recall if I've monitored this on any of my cars, but I never recall ever seeing a $ amount rise on a free supercharging car. Going to have to make it a point to check this.

Reactions: henderrj
I mean, it's specifically in their policy that both become pay-to-use things after the recertification...
I didn’t find it anywhere in the TN 18-00-001 R3, which is the relevant doc. The service center ensured me that I would keep FUSC if I passed the inspection.

This might depend on the year of the car, since the FUSC part might have differenr wording. I think this discussion happened before here in TMC.

For instance, as far as I understand FUSC is associated to my car, and by wording of the contract, there is no way to remove it, so if Tesla got it and resold it, it should keep FUSC. But I think that’s not the case with more recent cars.

Reactions: henderrj
I didn’t find it anywhere in the TN 18-00-001 R3, which is the relevant doc. The service center ensured me that I would keep FUSC if I passed the inspection.

This might depend on the year of the car, since the FUSC part might have differenr wording. I think this discussion happened before here in TMC.

For instance, as far as I understand FUSC is associated to my car, and by wording of the contract, there is no way to remove it, so if Tesla got it and resold it, it should keep FUSC. But I think that’s not the case with more recent cars.
SErvice CEnter here in SoCal told me they would disable FU from SC even though its a 2015 with FUSC after salvage recert FWIW. They were adamant they wouldn't let me keep it

• Informative
Reactions: cleverscreenam
SErvice CEnter here in SoCal told me they would disable FU from SC even though its a 2015 with FUSC after salvage recert FWIW. They were adamant they wouldn't let me keep it
Mine was not disabled, and I don't believe they have a legal leg to stand on. Still, that doesn't mean they wouldn't try. Not sure how to advise you. I don't think a service center close would do anything different.

While they will re-enable it now after passing the somewhat expensive "safety" inspection, they enable it as pay-per-use. Never back to free supercharging, even if the car originally had it. They also disable free premium connectivity and you have to pay for that if you want it, even if the car originally had that included also.
One of my Teslas had re-enabled SC after inspections and free premium still continues. It would be a blatant violation to start charging a customer after they bought the vehicle as-is, where-is. That's common law. There's precedent. Manuf can't change their contract to the car if ownership changes unless the contract was only with original customer. Some lawyers might chime in on that.

This also rolls into my frequent argument here that Tesla can only block you from using their SC, physically, or via the supply equipment, but they can't change your car software to not accept SC because it violates bought as-is, where-is.

So far, it seems to be a loaded dice roll. Especially on S's, they seem to find very minor things to use as an excuse to fail the inspection. I've stopped recommending customers with salvage cars go through with it unless they absolutely must have supercharging and are willing to pay potentially insane amounts to get it.

The biggest issue seems to be that most salvage cars are handled by heavy equipment at one point or another while inoperable. This tends to leave purely cosmetic scrapes and scratches under the car from handling. You'd never even see them normally nor do they matter or affect anything whatsoever. Well, Tesla can disqualify a vehicle from the safety inspection for scrapes on the bottom of the battery pack. These have zero impact whatsoever on safety, but it's an excuse they have in the paperwork for rejecting the car which effectively gives them an out on almost any salvage vehicle they want to reject. We've had customers contact us looking for replacement batteries on perfectly functional cars in order to try and pass this arbitrary inspection Tesla wants. They either want you to pay them for all repair services right then and there ($15k+ for a replacement battery, for example), or you can go elsewhere and pay them to again to re-inspect the car afterwards (another expensive gamble).

To me, I don't think they should be allowed to change anything on a car without the owner's permission, and if the car came with a feature and had it when it was wrecked, it should have it when it's repaired regardless of who did the repair without any hurdles from the manufacturer... but I seem to be in the minority opinion on this somehow around here. I'm also not 100% sure how this is legal for Tesla to do at all (seems almost like extorsion), but IANAL.
One of my cars has those dreaded scrapes. Are you suggesting Tesla will disqualify the safety inspection by that visual appearance?

You are in the majority here I believe with Tesla involving themselves with owners vehicles without their permission but those majority will not like the fact they paid a higher price for their car then you did so you should be punished - so that majority will tell you here "it's for safety" or some other bs and deflect from the common law of as-is, where-is common sense rational.

One of my cars has those dreaded scrapes. Are you suggesting Tesla will disqualify the safety inspection by that visual appearance?
For just a scrape they shouldn't. The tolerance for a gouge/dent is less than 8mm deep:

Recommend HV battery replacement if:
  • A dent or deepest point of gouge is 8 mm or more in depth (Figures 21 and 22).
  • If the HV battery enclosure fails leak down test due to impact.
  • The HV battery enclosure has low isolation due to impact.

Whenever they start doing it on X i'll go get it inspected n see what happens with my dented battery 😅
Not sure if its 8mm or not but it def not touching any cells n works just fine for the last 12k mi n counting...
I’ve seen the inside of the battery pack and the modules are on 1 ish inch standoffs so even a 12mm dent shouldn’t have any affect on them.

I’ve got my HV Battery check in a couple weeks. No visible damage to the underside of the car but you never know I guess…cost me £792. Im mainly doing it so that my vehicle is supported and I can get Tesla to do repair work on the car in future, but am I right in thinking that they will also reenable supercharging access?

Has anyone else done this check in the UK?

Model 3 Performance

I’ve been driving it 20,000 miles with no problems

I’ve got my HV Battery check in a couple weeks. No visible damage to the underside of the car but you never know I guess…cost me £792. Im mainly doing it so that my vehicle is supported and I can get Tesla to do repair work on the car in future, but am I right in thinking that they will also reenable supercharging access?

Has anyone else done this check in the UK?

Model 3 Performance

I’ve been driving it 20,000 miles with no problems
Ask your SC and get it in writing before proceeding (if it is in app, take screenshots because sometimes requests get deleted). The previous HV check was only to allow for repairing, not for enabling supercharging. It is unclear if they rolled out the enabling of supercharging in countries outside US.

Ask your SC and get it in writing before proceeding (if it is in app, take screenshots because sometimes requests get deleted). The previous HV check was only to allow for repairing, not for enabling supercharging. It is unclear if they rolled out the enabling of supercharging in countries outside US.
I think they did, but it is a separate inspection that can only be done after the HV inspection.

Any ideas how much that SC inspection is? And can I have both checks done at once or do they need to be separate?

The HV is costing me £792 🥹
Ylu should be able to do both of them (one after the other) during the same service appointment. The expensive part is the HV inspection, the other one might raise the total price to ~1000£, but this is my estimate.

So wait, @remilekun, you are in the UK and you have a salvage title Tesla that won't Supercharge currently? But don't ALL cars over there use the CCS2 standard? Can't you just DC Fast Charge at another network's station? Do they have CHAdeMO adapters over there? Surely that would work if CCS2 is bricked by Tesla after an accident

Annoying, I knew that they were a different adapter than the US one, wonder why the one made for that part of the world isn't compatible with the modern cars
Because in the "modern" Tesla vehicles they have the CCS2 inlet on the vehicle, and following the standard the pins in the top portion, Type 2, of the connector go to the onboard AC charger, and the lower DC pins go to the HV battery. On the old vehicles with the custom Tesla Type 2 inlet, the pins in inlet went to the onboard AC charger with a set of contactors to connect them to the HV battery as well.

So to support CHAdeMO on the new vehicles you would either need a new version of the adapter with a CCS2 plug on it instead of the Tesla Type 2 plug, or you would need an additional set of contactors in the vehicle to bridge the AC and HV battery lines like in the old vehicles. (Added parts/complexity.) Tesla saw no need to do that, and I agree, why would you need to be able to use a big bulky CHAdeMO adapter, when pretty much every CHAdeMO charger has a CCS2 plug on it that you could plug in to directly?

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H