Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage cars: Tesla permanently disabling SC from supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be straight up, I really like Tesla and fully believe in their mission statement. They actually combine two of my favorite things together computers + cars! However one thing that I absolutely despise about them is their anti right to repair stance on things.

As Tesla seems more and more units and plans to become a 20,000,000 cars per year auto maker will their flip on their stance on supercharging or DC charging salvage cars?

Lets think practically, if they sells at least a million cars a year, chances are at least 1% of them will be salvaged. Think about it that literally 10,000 cars basically being left to rot! All those precious materials in the battery gone to waste.

Or if we go to 20 million cars a year, then around 200,000 cars are going to waste. Which to me sounds extremely unpractical and wasteful.

I do get there Tesla is coming from about the media being hyper focused on them and putting it all over the news when their cars crash. But cant Tesla come up with a recertification process for the car? I know they used to have one but the recertification program stopped.

Think about it that literally 10,000 cars basically being left to rot! All those precious materials in the battery gone to waste.
What are you talking about? Totaled vehicles either get rebuilt and are used or are scavenged for parts. (To keep other Teslas on the road, to convert other ICE vehicles, energy storage projects, etc. or are recycled.) Nothing is left to rot or goes to waste.

What are you talking about? Totaled vehicles either get rebuilt and are used or are scavenged for parts. (To keep other Teslas on the road, to convert other ICE vehicles, energy storage projects, etc. or are recycled.) Nothing is left to rot or goes to waste.
Right, this thread exists literally because people are taking salvage vehicles, repairing them and driving them. Sure, it sucks that it doesn't have supercharging, but it can still drive fine on home charging (and CHAdeMO still worked last I checked, although haven't been following if this had changed).

Reactions: Rocky_H and MP3Mike
well yeah you do have a point.

I meant to say that many repaired salvage Tesla's cannot really supercharge or DC charge which like makes them much less practical.

We all know that Tesla's have extremely high repair cost, so it doesn't take alot of damage to declare one "salvaged. I don't think that for example a Model S that has a huge bump which it got totaled for is going to be a parts car.

Tesla should at least reinstate an "inspection" that if passed, will re-enable SC
You can search for it but it's been talked about ad nauseum on other threads. Tesla refuses to reinstate SC even after a battery inspection. It's a scam they cut SC anyway and everyone should realize that. They did it by changing a feature, remotely, without your (the owner) permission, to your car. The BS argument that it's for safety has no basis. My 3 can still DC fast charge. I'm not compelled enough to take the matter to court that Tesla intervened in my car after I outright bought it as is where is and removed/changed a feature without my permission or knowledge. I'm confident any owner can show harm for not being able to DC fast charge and that the harm was conducted by Tesla when Tesla did not own the car. If you're not aware, the SC feature is in the car, not the station. They are welcome to put a guard out in front of all their SC stations to check VIN and deny entry accordingly but they cannot remove features, limit speed, limit power, etc... when they do not own the car.

Additionally removing SC removes the ability to pre-condition the battery prior to DC fast charging and that is again another harm by Tesla against an owner.

Last edited:
In the meantime my friends in the Tesla Clinic in Prague downgraded the firmware, and blocked Tesla from OTA manipulations. I sold my Tessy about a month ago, to a knowlegeable member of this site, for 1/2 of the going rate because of Teslas manipulations. So I took the damage of about 15.000,- EUROS. I am cured from my Teslka- hype.
What happened to your car that caused you harm from Tesla and what made you feel at risk of future Tesla manipulations? I'm only aware of removing SC here in the US. I still get software updates from Tesla and aside from no warranty, which I think everyone in the US is aware of when purchasing salvage, I don't find any other harm.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Moderator note: This post plus the approximately 15 posts following originally existed in a different thread.

The purpose of this thread is to find like minded Tesla owners with salvage titles who have been banned from using Superchargers. As a group of Tesla owners banned from Superchargers, we may be able to have more leverage and clout with the management at Tesla to change this policy. Please post or text me if you would like to join me in convincing Tesla management to change this policy.
Background:
I have a 2018 M3 Performance with a salvage title due to a minor accident that did not deploy air bags. During its salvage life, it has used Superchargers 100's of times without any problem or incident. Two nights ago, coming home from a long trip, I pulled into a SC station, and upon connection, no charge but my screen rebooted. Tried several other stations and same thing. Called Technical Support and was told that my Tesla was banned from using SC and that after all these years, they finally got around to making the firmware change. I was stranded! No warning! I managed to find a 3rd party low wattage charger and limped home, in a state of shock that Tesla would treat me that way.
Reasons why this is so wrong:
1. Not all salvage titles are the same. One size does not fit all. My salvage title was for a minor accident, no air bags deployed. Many cars by luck of the draw, have accidents but don't get branded and others by luck of the draw, get branded. Some are lucky, others are not. Some get to use SC, others do not. Not fair, not right.
2. Many years of using SC with no safety issues. That should mean something. No safety or regulatory justification.
3. I have been a strong advocate and promoter of Tesla. I have campaigned against the O'Dowd senatorial campaign to ban FSD. Now Tesla is doing to me the same thing that O'Dowd is doing to Tesla. Banning me from using SC and banning me from long road trips.
4. Tesla is opening up its charging stations to other EV makes and brands. There is no safety guarantee with them, especially with Chevy Bolts. But I, as a Tesla owner, am banned from using a Tesla product while other brands are not.
5. When I was told I was banned from SC by my local service center, no reason was given why salvage titles are singled out. Safety was not given as a reason, probably because it is not a reason. I was simply told, "It is the policy, tough luck".
6. Treating salvage title Tesla owners as third class citizens, is not in the best interests of Tesla, Inc. Giving all Tesla owners access to charging stations promotes the wider acceptance of EV's. Additionally, Tesla, Inc. has a lot of enemies such as O'Dowd, and ICE car manufacturers. Alienating a group of Tesla owners creates the risk that those owners will speak negatively of Tesla.
7. The Supercharger network that Telsa, Inc is creating is what differentiates Tesla from other EV manufacturers. Banning salvage titled Teslas from that network takes away a big chunk of why owning a Tesla is special.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: cleverscreenam
So there is this:

”the insurance company may decide to sell the vehicle at auction with a salvage title. Salvage titled cars aren’t road legal, but with a little wrench work, some of them will ride again.”

So setting aside greed, I can understand Tesla not wanting to allow cars that are no longer ”road legal” to utilized the SuperCharger network. On the other hand, severely wrecked cars can be repaired and thus remain road legal. What I think Tesla should do is to define an inspection process to allow salvaged cars to be re-admitted to the supercharge network once they are otherwise road legal.

Reactions: Boeingpilot
So there is this:

”the insurance company may decide to sell the vehicle at auction with a salvage title. Salvage titled cars aren’t road legal, but with a little wrench work, some of them will ride again.”

So setting aside greed, I can understand Tesla not wanting to allow cars that are no longer ”road legal” to utilized the SuperCharger network. On the other hand, severely wrecked cars can be repaired and thus remain road legal. What I think Tesla should do is to define an inspection process to allow salvaged cars to be re-admitted to the supercharge network once they are otherwise road legal.
These vehicles are not considered roadworthy or street legal, but there is a process by which they can be restored and re-registered with what's known as a rebuilt title or restored title.

Reactions: Boeingpilot
I wonder how prevalent this is. How does Tesla find out the car is salvaged? Do they use the DMV database? This is definitely a concern and something to consider for future and current Tesla owners.
It's 100% prevalent. You can get a history report on any VIN. It'll show brand or no brand on the title. Tesla combs through VINs of theirs and modifies, illegally, OTA, without permission of the owner, to a car they have not ownership entitlement to, the owner's car's feature to turn off SC.

So there is this:

You are wrong.

If a car has a title (clean title or salvage title) it is registered - registered or registered non-operating. Ins companies don't sell cars at auction with a salvage title. The car receives a salvage certificate when it's a total loss that gets issued to the dismantler. That certificate can be used to title and register the car with a branded title that's called a salvage or rebuilt title depending on state if it passes state inspections.

Salvage titled cars ARE most definitely road legal by definition of them having a title.

The purpose of this thread is to find like minded Tesla owners with salvage titles who have been banned from using Superchargers. As a group of Tesla owners banned from Superchargers, we may be able to have more leverage and clout with the management at Tesla to change this policy. Please post or text me if you would like to join me in convincing Tesla management to change this policy.
Background:
I have a 2018 M3 Performance with a salvage title due to a minor accident that did not deploy air bags. During its salvage life, it has used Superchargers 100's of times without any problem or incident. Two nights ago, coming home from a long trip, I pulled into a SC station, and upon connection, no charge but my screen rebooted. Tried several other stations and same thing. Called Technical Support and was told that my Tesla was banned from using SC and that after all these years, they finally got around to making the firmware change. I was stranded! No warning! I managed to find a 3rd party low wattage charger and limped home, in a state of shock that Tesla would treat me that way.
Reasons why this is so wrong:
1. Not all salvage titles are the same. One size does not fit all. My salvage title was for a minor accident, no air bags deployed. Many cars by luck of the draw, have accidents but don't get branded and others by luck of the draw, get branded. Some are lucky, others are not. Some get to use SC, others do not. Not fair, not right.
2. Many years of using SC with no safety issues. That should mean something. No safety or regulatory justification.
3. I have been a strong advocate and promoter of Tesla. I have campaigned against the O'Dowd senatorial campaign to ban FSD. Now Tesla is doing to me the same thing that O'Dowd is doing to Tesla. Banning me from using SC and banning me from long road trips.
4. Tesla is opening up its charging stations to other EV makes and brands. There is no safety guarantee with them, especially with Chevy Bolts. But I, as a Tesla owner, am banned from using a Tesla product while other brands are not.
5. When I was told I was banned from SC by my local service center, no reason was given why salvage titles are singled out. Safety was not given as a reason, probably because it is not a reason. I was simply told, "It is the policy, tough luck".
6. Treating salvage title Tesla owners as third class citizens, is not in the best interests of Tesla, Inc. Giving all Tesla owners access to charging stations promotes the wider acceptance of EV's. Additionally, Tesla, Inc. has a lot of enemies such as O'Dowd, and ICE car manufacturers. Alienating a group of Tesla owners creates the risk that those owners will speak negatively of Tesla.
7. The Supercharger network that Telsa, Inc is creating is what differentiates Tesla from other EV manufacturers. Banning salvage titled Teslas from that network takes away a big chunk of why owning a Tesla is special.
I had a similar experience wherein SC was shut down while I was on a trip and I had to spend money to spend the night. They informed me it was part of their TC. Here are some comments

1. Not all car accidents are the same but states and Tesla considers branded titles the same.
2. It should mean something but Tesla wants people to buy new Teslas, not rebuilt title Teslas. The safety issue is fake.

Tesla can do what they want but they cannot interject a software change that changes a vehicle feature to a vehicle they don't own and to an owner they don't receive permission from.

If a state has certified a car compliant to that states driving and safety requirements and Tesla sells cars in that same state and they don't honor the state's certification of salvaged cars then they are in conflict with state law.

You are wrong.

If a car has a title (clean title or salvage title) it is registered - registered or registered non-operating. Ins companies don't sell cars at auction with a salvage title. The car receives a salvage certificate when it's a total loss that gets issued to the dismantler. That certificate can be used to title and register the car with a branded title that's called a salvage or rebuilt title depending on state if it passes state inspections.

Salvage titled cars ARE most definitely road legal by definition of them having a title.
Depends on where you live, I guess. In any case the issue is Tesla and Tesla should provide a means to rectify for use on their SuperChargers.

Last edited:
Tesla can do what they want but they cannot interject a software change that changes a vehicle feature to a vehicle they don't own and to an owner they don't receive permission from.
You are right about the software change on the car. However, as they own and operate the SC network they can do whatever they want and deny the service to anyone for any reason.

Is the policy fair? That's a different question all together...