Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Satonic Soft Close Frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody have experience with the new Satonic Soft Close Frunk kit? From what I can see, the soft close mechanism doesn't involve the latch spring or cable. Supposedly, the mechanism closes the hood and then releases. I would assume this would reduce any issues about the hood getting stuck.

And now Hansshow has their version which also includes a manual release cable.

Upvote 0
And now Hansshow has their version which also includes a manual release cable.

I’d like to see a video review if anyone get this. I’d like this over a power frunk

Reactions: no_latency
Upvote 0
I just finished installing the Tlyard soft closing frunk lock on my 2022 MYP. The install is simple and I think anyone who can use a socket wrench can do the whole install in less than 30 minutes. It is simple. I would suggest marking the position of the OEM latch bracket first before removing it. This makes the reinstall easier.

The most important aspect to using the new lock is to let IT do the closing and latching of the hood. Just gently drop the hood from about 2-4 inches onto the latch and watch it close the frunk for you. No more pushing down onto the top of the hood to force the latch closed. No more Tesla hand prints or dirty hands.

Reactions: audiohs and Sai Ko
Upvote 0
I just finished installing the Tlyard soft closing frunk lock on my 2022 MYP. The install is simple and I think anyone who can use a socket wrench can do the whole install in less than 30 minutes. It is simple. I would suggest marking the position of the OEM latch bracket first before removing it. This makes the reinstall easier.

The most important aspect to using the new lock is to let IT do the closing and latching of the hood. Just gently drop the hood from about 2-4 inches onto the latch and watch it close the frunk for you. No more pushing down onto the top of the hood to force the latch closed. No more Tesla hand prints or dirty hands.
Nice! Do you have any concerns that you wouldn't be able to open the hood should the motor fail or something gets stuck while it's operating?

Upvote 0
Yes, I still have concerns. The design of this locking mechanism is similar to all the others I've seen including the power frunk versions. It uses a motor to pull a cable to engage the OEM latch. The Tlyard as well as the others depends on the OEM latching mechanism to release the latch. Failure anywhere in this system where the latch can't be released will likely cause the hood not to open. This is a flaw in the Tesla design. There is no simple manual external release mechanism to disengage the latch. So, if the Tlyard fails in a manner that prevents the OEM latching mechanism to disengage the latch then you are in a world of hurt.

I did do some simple testing of the Tlyard when I installed it. I had it close the latch and then pulled the power to the Tlyard. The OEM latch opened each time I tried. I made sure all the screws on the Tlyard were snugged tight. I may go back and silicone the seams to help prevent some water seepage.

Interestingly, included in the Tlyard kit was a funny-shaped flat metal piece that I originally thought was some type of tool. After viewing the current Tlyard installation video, I think Tlyard has included some type of manual release mechanism (see timestamp 00:17-00:37). They call it a metal patch but don't explain it and you don't see it anywhere in the rest of the video. I haven't installed it yet because it would be useless unless you can get to it. I've emailed them for an explanation.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0
Jhom: I was also curious about the "metal patch", as there was no further description in the video. The video itself wasn't exactly inspiring, with awkward camera angles. It didn't give me confidence in the install procedure, and I'm usually pretty handy with this sort of thing. It's probably easier, and more obvious, once everything is opened up.

Edit: I just looked again at the video: Is the hole in the "metal patch" meant to attach a manual release cable to be routed down to the circular bumper plug?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jhom: I was also curious about the "metal patch", as there was no further description in the video. The video itself wasn't exactly inspiring, with awkward camera angles. It didn't give me confidence in the install procedure, and I'm usually pretty handy with this sort of thing. It's probably easier, and more obvious, once everything is opened up.

Edit: I just looked again at the video: Is the hole in the "metal patch" meant to attach a manual release cable to be routed down to the circular bumper plug?

Ed: That's exactly what I thought. But, they don't show the latch being released by the patch. Instead, they released the latch with the OEM spring catch. No cable was included in my kit. I think this is a product in evolution and may see a cable in a later version.

Nice to hear from you. I hope all is well.
Jim

Edit: On further thought, if this indeed is for a manual cable release. Then they may be providing a simple solution to the Tesla design flaw.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think if the motor fails then only the soft close portion will be lost. You will not lose opening the frunk. If low voltage battery fails then you have to just follow Tesla manual to release frunk
The soft close portion (same on auto frunks) is what pulls the hood down the last inch. If that motor freezes up, i don't think you can release the frunk.

All auto frunks have manual releases for that reason and the only difference from them and "soft close only" are the powered struts and control module. You still install that same mechanism by the latch and that's where the manual release is.

Reactions: KevinT3141
Upvote 0
The soft close portion (same on auto frunks) is what pulls the hood down the last inch. If that motor freezes up, i don't think you can release the frunk.

All auto frunks have manual releases for that reason and the only difference from them and "soft close only" are the powered struts and control module. You still install that same mechanism by the latch and that's where the manual release is.

It depends on the powered frunk kit, some replace the entire locking mechanism.

Upvote 0

This kit piggybacks original latch and it doesn't replace the entire latch

Upvote 0
Tlyard support says the "metal patch" that is now seen in the current install video is a new improvement to the lock. Other sites describe it as a limiter and as a minor optimalization.

I haven't installed it yet since my lock is working well without it. However, I can see how it may improve the capture of the hood.

My initial thought that the metal patch was a manual release part is wrong. I may try and fit a bike cable to the OEM release catch to provide an emergency manual release that would be similar to the ones used in the power frunk versions.

Upvote 0