Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

saw a mustang ev on road today- YUKKKK what a disgrace to mustang!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may be an outlier but I am far from impressed by the looks of the model Y
I think the Mustang MME exterior looks better than the Y from the factory. But that isn’t enough for me to consider the MME since I have actual long term experience with Tesla...and Ford.

Also there are some pretty slick body kits for the Model Y that change the look significantly.

The Mach E name come from the Mach 1. Mach E car and name looks good to me, and I owned a Mustang. I really like how my Model Y looks, but it is a bit weird.

abf55ca4412891425fa7e192d8789fc26276f8d0.jpeg

I think the MME looks better too. I do wonder whether the MY look is just "stale," because it's the same look as the M3 that's been around for some time now. Tesla seems not to be inclined to "update" the body of its cars. The MS and MX are pretty much unchanged from a looks perspective. Perhaps it's a cost issue (new tooling for manufacturing body panels?) - but I think it's a liability in the end. With the new offerings, MME, Ioniq 5, EV6, eTron, etc. - Tesla may need to start thinking about body refreshes too.

Reactions: BooMan and FordMME
I think the MME looks better too. I do wonder whether the MY look is just "stale," because it's the same look as the M3 that's been around for some time now. Tesla seems not to be inclined to "update" the body of its cars. The MS and MX are pretty much unchanged from a looks perspective. Perhaps it's a cost issue (new tooling for manufacturing body panels?) - but I think it's a liability in the end. With the new offerings, MME, Ioniq 5, EV6, eTron, etc. - Tesla may need to start thinking about body refreshes too.
The market for EVs and Teslas is expanding faster than the supposed MME and eTron Tesla killers are taking away. So don’t look for massive external body changes anytime soon.

The market for EVs and Teslas is expanding faster than the supposed MME and eTron Tesla killers are taking away. So don’t look for massive external body changes anytime soon.
Yeah - so - I wasn't looking at it from a "Tesla killer" perspective. I was really thinking in terms of EV options and market segment growth. And - I'm not even talking about "massive" body panel changes - just some freshening up a bit of the fleet.

The MME is evolutionarily far beyond the current Tesla offers except for charging network (a critical miss), especially the directly competitive MY. I have owned Teslas since the getgo, currently have a MX, but the competition is leapfrogging. I don't get the OP's view - reads as fanboi hating on anything that might affect his shares.

• Funny
Reactions: JVINFL and SO16
Body refreshes are SUPER expensive. You have to remodel safety features, tooling, and likely new suppliers. Very difficult for essentially a start up automotive company

It confounds me how often corporations will dilute their brand names and message by trying to instantly boost a new product and capitalize on a known brand
Mustang=muscle car/sports car
Whether or not this EV is a good car, USE A DIFFERENT NAME and build a new brand and message instead of muddying what you have built up and implemented for decades
“Mustang = muscle car/sports car” huh? Oh how people seem to forget that the Mustang II Pinto exists. No one seems to care that all the muscle cars have V6 engines and now little 4 bangers in them. But a cross over electric is an abomination to the muscle car?

Reactions: Big Earl
The good news in all of this is that FORD is taking a stab at EVs. Not bad for a first shot. Congratulations to all of the other car companies that are seeing the light of EVs. They knew that if they didn't get on board Tesla would eat their lunch. To me, it is amazing to realize that if it weren't for Musk, one man, and his dream, NONE of this would be happening. Hats off to Musk and Tesla. Go at throttle up!

As I have said many time before, think about what was going on when Tesla first started. Not only did Elon design from the ground up an all electric vehicle but a nice looking all electric vehicle. Oh, by the way let’s install fast chargers all over the world to allow buyers of our cars to travel anywhere they want.

Reactions: SO16
er, wouldn't a startup be starting from scratch?
Tesla is still in startup phase relative to the major OEM’s if you are looking at scale production. Despite what you may have heard size matters. Second order impact of smaller scale is more limited ability to make substantial refresh of designs and bring a to scale production as supplier cost is more of an issue. Especially for regulated products that involve safety (like a car for example).

manufacturing 101

I've been looking at both the MME and MY. The MME in my view is much better looking, rides better, and yes I've driven both, and for me have CarPlay. I think Ford made a very nice first EV and fit & finish is not an issue. However some of the tech is not very solid, which is one reason I prefer the MY. Like Tesla it could take a model year or more to get things working as they should. Still it's heart to have competition which hopefully will keep pricing increases lower.

I've been looking at both the MME and MY. The MME in my view is much better looking, rides better, and yes I've driven both, and for me have CarPlay. I think Ford made a very nice first EV and fit & finish is not an issue. However some of the tech is not very solid, which is one reason I prefer the MY. Like Tesla it could take a model year or more to get things working as they should. Still it's heart to have competition which hopefully will keep pricing increases lower.
I agree with your comments. However consider this. The Mach-e is a nice car, from my test drive there was nothing fun about it. It drove nice, quiet, but there wasn't anything that blew me away. The user interface and over all interface design is already outdated, in my opinion. Ford is a truck/suv company and not a software company and it shows. Don't get your hopes up to getting regular software updates. You might get some bug fixes, as there are plenty at the moment.

There are zero entertainment options. No games, and no farts. I don't care what anyone says, farts are funny :) I love that I can sit waiting for someone and throw on a quick game of solitaire, or watch Netflix. I like knowing when I park somewhere sentry mode has my back. These are features Mach-e owners are wishing for on their forums.

After I drove the Mach-e and got into my Model 3, it was instantly fun again. I know I'm getting more updates that better the overall experience, I know I have way more charging options.

Dave Grohl says it the best here on Jimmy Kimmel

Reactions: alexgr and SO16
I think M3 looks better than MY, but both M3 and MY look better than Mach-E. The design of the Mach-E is too much alike a now-dated design (that never was very good anyway) of Infiniti small SUVs with a hint of Ford Escape and too many tricks needed to hide the battery and the not-so-sexy C pillar. I saw one Mach-E (in white) on the road once and I was surprised how small it is and the look of uber-thin tires didn't help. Basically, I first thought it is some kind of Honda HR-V. And the absence of door handles reminded me of some hairless monsters.

1620001430951.png

I think M3 looks better than MY, but both M3 and MY look better than Mach-E. The design of the Mach-E is too much alike a now-dated design (that never was very good anyway) of Infiniti small SUVs with a hint of Ford Escape and too many tricks needed to hide the battery and the not-so-sexy C pillar. I saw one Mach-E (in white) on the road once and I was surprised how small it is and the look of uber-thin tires didn't help. Basically, I first thought it is some kind of Honda HR-V. And the absence of door handles reminded me of some hairless monsters.

View attachment 659014
I looked closely at a Model Y again recently after looking at the Mach E. I now DEFINITELY like the Model Y better. Especially the interior. Tesla has refined it recently and I’m impressed. I really like the new center console and the door trim. And the amount of utility space is hands down night and day different between the Mach E and Model Y. Like twice as much for the Model y.

I was also really impressed with all the voice commands like even down to “split vent air”. I was really surprised that worked.

I find it hilarious when reviewers of the Mach E compliment that big dial on the screen. I’d rather use the steering wheel. And the passenger in a Tesla can easily adjust the volume on the screen without worry of being distracted. That big dial is just a way to “be different” for no good reason.

Then you add on the entertainment like Netflix, it’s a no brainer. And yes, you can use an iPad instead but you would need a really good data plan.

Last edited:

View attachment 659014

How about the Y Plus?

A little nose candy
and a pillar delete?.

Attachments

• 20210314_145610_resized.jpg
    20210314_145610_resized.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 39
  • Y Pillar Delete .jpg
    Y Pillar Delete .jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Pillar delete Model Y.jpg