Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SC01 FUSC not transferring??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thanks for the clarification.. it's not too hard to find the codes when you own a car (login on Tesla, check website coding)... if the sales guy is willing to make a video, he should be willing to send a screenshot of the codes... SC01 doesn't guarantee it transfers (some Tesla personnel have noted the code with an asterik meaning it will be removed soon), but combined with your other info, it would lead one to feel more comfortable about the sale.
another note: there are plenty of 2016's that were resold by Tesla with SCO5 (FUSC for the purchaser of the CPO, but non-transferrable)... the video of free supercharging only proves it's free now, not that it will transfer.
The sales rep who made the supercharging video for me said that they do not register thewir cars with Tesla when they take ownership to sell them, so he could not log in to Tesla to get the codes. Here's another catch which really took me back; the car was originally leased to the first owner, but the dealer who is selling it is the 3rd owner and it is still charging for free! The 2nd owner, who apparently would have bought it from Tesla and registered it on 03/10/2020 after the lease of the first owner ended) must have had free supercharging since the dealer who has it now has free supercharging

This one is really puzzling and at 60k I'm a bit scared to take this chance

hmm... the car went to Tesla after the lease expired. I know for certain that Tesla was selling used S/X's in March 2020 with SCO5 FUSC (as an incentive to get folks to break quarantine and buy a car). The dealer hasn't transferred ownership from Tesla's perspective (he told you in fact they do not register their cars with Tesla), so the purchaser from 3/2020 is still on Tesla's record and there is no change in supercharger status. I am pretty sure FUSC won't transfer for this car... Why don't you try another service center and ask one simple question: does this car have SC01 or SCO5 associated with the VIN?
If you end up purchasing, be sure to add language in the contract that FUSC is required to transfer. The dealer sounds like they know exactly what they are doing, you have every right to have that in writing.

hmm... the car went to Tesla after the lease expired. I know for certain that Tesla was selling used S/X's in March 2020 with SCO5 FUSC (as an incentive to get folks to break quarantine and buy a car). The dealer hasn't transferred ownership from Tesla's perspective (he told you in fact they do not register their cars with Tesla), so the purchaser from 3/2020 is still on Tesla's record and there is no change in supercharger status. I am pretty sure FUSC won't transfer for this car... Why don't you try another service center and ask one simple question: does this car have SC01 or SCO5 associated with the VIN?
If you end up purchasing, be sure to add language in the contract that FUSC is required to transfer. The dealer sounds like they know exactly what they are doing, you have every right to have that in writing.
thank you all! This is extremely helpful info. If I never register it with Tesla it appears that I can continue to avail myself of the FUSC the car currently has... is that what I'm reading from you guys?

No - because the car will know that it isn't linked to an account, and it will self-block from supercharging after a couple of times.

Unfortunately without having a previous owner to pull the information, the ONLY source of the option codes right now will be a service center employee who wants to be helpful.... And those are VERY few and far between. They frequently get purged out of the system in the quarterly bloodletting that the company does.

Reactions: LPEREZDANCER
ok, a helpful Tesla agent told me that it has SC01. I hope that means they can not remove it from the car and I have nothing to worry about.
Thank you all for this great source of info!

I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard of Tesla removing FUSC from a car with an SC01 code?

If not, then that sure is peace of mind...
but if so, perhaps it is time for a class action suit

Reactions: gaswalla
If it has SC01 right now, then it will continue to have that unless it is traded back to Tesla. So you should be good to go if you are about to buy it.

Things to do though: Take pictures of EVERYTHING. In the car, the charging screen, the software screen, the more info screen.
Get the car on the app on your account, save a screenshot of the info screens there, the warranty info screen. Then ON THE WEBSITE log in and click on "manage" and when the picture of the car comes up on the next screen, right-click on the image and save the image address.

Plug that address in on this page, and get the option codes: Tesla option codes
Take a picture of that, showing that you have SC01. All of this is dated and saved..... So if anything changes, you have the proof that it had it before.

Reactions: ShareLofty
And if for some reason Tesla takes away FUSC you’ll have zero recourse, but a lot of documentation

Sadly that is very nearly true. A few guys have taken Tesla to court and got them to agree to give them back their supercharging. But that's a lot of work and or lawyer cost. So you have to decide whether it's worth it to you. You could do small claims court, should they cut you off, and claim the maximum damage, Tesla values supercharging at $1,000 a year, so maybe that will help you. But, sounds like this car is okay.

THEY might value it at 1k per year.... I've owned my S for 9 months and put nearly 1k per MONTH average of supercharging on it! ($8000+ not spent at 45c/kWh according to Tessie). That's for nearly 50k miles.

Is it valuable? Hell-to-the-yes. Having documentation about having a feature and then them stripping said feature.... Can get it restored if you manage to show the right people and it starts a PR crapstorm aimed at Lord Muskrat. Happened to me with them nerfing my battery, so I know it can be done.

Reactions: gaswalla