Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Scan My Tesla, a CANBUS reader for Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the cheap adapter, kanweigh. Basically does nothing useful, very hard to connect, and data display is frozen.

I will stick with the MX.

However, both cause problems with pairing my phone to the Tesla. It is as if the BT signals are interfering. Has anyone else had problems?

Got the cheap adapter, kanweigh. Basically does nothing useful, very hard to connect, and data display is frozen.

I will stick with the MX.

However, both cause problems with pairing my phone to the Tesla. It is as if the BT signals are interfering. Has anyone else had problems?

Which phone do you have?

Could you give a more detailed report on what you're seeing, does the app not want to connect at all if you're in a call for instance? We have some scattered problem reports, trying to find the common denominator.

Which phone do you have?

Could you give a more detailed report on what you're seeing, does the app not want to connect at all if you're in a call for instance? We have some scattered problem reports, trying to find the common denominator.
Which phone do you have?

It's an Android Moto G7. The phone won't connect with the BT in the car. I deleted the phone to car BT connection, then repaired the phone to car with the MX disconnected, that seemed to work. I rarely use the phone in the car so I do not know about calls.

2015 with orig MCU1, hope it is not dying on me. It is giving some warning signs...

@amund7 Apologies for not having read all 27 pages. I read 3 or pages total and just had a question or two before I get into this.
  1. Can your app measure max power output of the Model S? I'm specifically interested in this as my car is a 2016 S75D and according to Tesla when I bought the car, they "uncorked" it for me. If in fact it is uncorked, it should be developing 330KW on full acceleration and if it isn't, then its 270KW. That's the main reason why I've considered going down this route with your app.
  2. Is the recommended OBD2 dongle still the OBDLink LX ?
  3. Does anyone have any directions on how to plug it into a 2016 Model S? I have the refreshed front end (no idea if that makes any difference or not).
  4. Any other tips/suggestions you can share please?
Thanks in advance!

I will answer since the developer has answered some before in this thread.
1) Yes, and it will also record speeds ans acceleration under performance tab. You can also look at the max power available without even being in the car, mine is 322 Kw at my current temp and SoC.

2) Yes. or you can do the MX. I tried a cheaper make (Kanweih) and it did not work well. Don't forget the adapter cable!

3) Yes. several posts here. I suggest mine (#513) as it does not require holes or non-reversible modification of the car.

4) Yes, a few, Search or read this thread, and visit the vendor Website. it will be worth the time, IMO.

I highly recommend this app to monitor your performance and battery, Tesla is lying to us about rated range, this app will let you see the actual usable pack, as well as the unusable buffer, which Tesla is using to report RR!

Reactions: SilverGS
1) Yes, and it will also record speeds ans acceleration under performance tab. You can also look at the max power available without even being in the car, mine is 322 Kw at my current temp and SoC.

2) Yes. or you can do the MX. I tried a cheaper make (Kanweih) and it did not work well. Don't forget the adapter cable!

3) Yes. several posts here. I suggest mine (#513) as it does not require holes or non-reversible modification of the car.

4) Yes, a few, Search or read this thread, and visit the vendor Website. it will be worth the time, IMO.

I highly recommend this app to monitor your performance and battery, Tesla is lying to us about rated range, this app will let you see the actual usable pack, as well as the unusable buffer, which Tesla is using to report RR!
Thanks!
  1. Do you have a link to the adapter cable?
  2. I actually read your post about connecting the dongle to the car, but noticed yours has the yacht floor. Mine has the console, so I wasn't sure if it would be the same as mine, that's why I asked.

Thanks for helping out :)

Agree with the above, just want to add, if you are on the fence, have a look at our Youtube channel. Lots and lots of great videos I've collected from around Youtube into different playlist. Check especially Bjørn's videos, as they show many interesting ways to learn about your car from the app, and to customize the views and compare different data. We also have many many installation videos, in many languages:

Scan My Tesla (sorry about the stupid URL, they say I need a certain number of subscribers to change it. Please help by subscribing :)

Additionally, I'm (almost) always online, and happy to answer any questions, big or small. Most quickly reached through our Facebook page: Scan My Tesla

Oh, one more thing. If you haven't bought an OBD2 adapter yet, and you have some Apple devices, consider the OBDLINK MX+ (note the plus). I am working on the IOS version now, and it will only support the MX+, at least in the beginning. MX+ supports both Android and IOS, and is also blazing fast (well, same speed as OBDLINK LX, which is all you need if you're not interested in Apple stuff)

Oh and the official info page: scan my tesla

• Informative
Thanks for helping out :)

Agree with the above, just want to add, if you are on the fence, have a look at our Youtube channel. Lots and lots of great videos I've collected from around Youtube into different playlist. Check especially Bjørn's videos, as they show many interesting ways to learn about your car from the app, and to customize the views and compare different data. We also have many many installation videos, in many languages:

Scan My Tesla (sorry about the stupid URL, they say I need a certain number of subscribers to change it. Please help by subscribing :)

Additionally, I'm (almost) always online, and happy to answer any questions, big or small. Most quickly reached through our Facebook page: Scan My Tesla

Oh, one more thing. If you haven't bought an OBD2 adapter yet, and you have some Apple devices, consider the OBDLINK MX+ (note the plus). I am working on the IOS version now, and it will only support the MX+, at least in the beginning. MX+ supports both Android and IOS, and is also blazing fast (well, same speed as OBDLINK LX, which is all you need if you're not interested in Apple stuff)

Oh and the official info page: scan my tesla
Thanks for all the great info!

One last question - is this bundle the cable and the OBD2 dongle? ScanMyTesla bundles Archive - EMDS

The page is not very descriptive (only one pic) and I'm not sure if its actually a bundle (adapter cable and OBD2 dongle).

Thanks!
  1. Do you have a link to the adapter cable?
  2. I actually read your post about connecting the dongle to the car, but noticed yours has the yacht floor. Mine has the console, so I wasn't sure if it would be the same as mine, that's why I asked.
I think you can route the adapter cable the same way, but mount it to the side of the MCU housing.

I do not have a link to the cable, but you can get one from Europe, Canada or TX, plus the EVTV guys sell one. Info I am sure is in the Site and elsewhere on this thread.

Thanks for all the great info!

One last question - is this bundle the cable and the OBD2 dongle? ScanMyTesla bundles Archive - EMDS

The page is not very descriptive (only one pic) and I'm not sure if its actually a bundle (adapter cable and OBD2 dongle).

Yes - this bundle is for Model 3 - and it includes a paid copy of the app, plus the EMDS dongle. If you already bought it, or have a different car (your Avatar looks like a facelift S - you could get this, diagnostic adapter cable - FaceLift ModelS & ModelX - EMDS which includes the EMDS dongle. Which is good, but not as fast as the OBDLINKs. An great place to start still. (Without dongle here: diagnostic adapter cable - FaceLift ModelS & ModelX - EMDS)

Yes - this bundle is for Model 3 - and it includes a paid copy of the app, plus the EMDS dongle. If you already bought it, or have a different car (your Avatar looks like a facelift S - you could get this, diagnostic adapter cable - FaceLift ModelS & ModelX - EMDS which includes the EMDS dongle. Which is good, but not as fast as the OBDLINKs. An great place to start still. (Without dongle here: diagnostic adapter cable - FaceLift ModelS & ModelX - EMDS)
Thanks! Total is coming to 67,02 Euros. Is that 67.02 euros? Its strange how it has a comma there and not a period.

...If in fact it is uncorked, it should be developing 330KW on full acceleration and if it isn't, then its 270KW...
Uncorking is even more obvious from the torque. 470Nm vs 625Nm.

By the way, do the S/X CANBus DBCs have a System Torque Limit like the Model 3 does on ID 334 (hex)? I don't think this is the uncorking limit as this limit on the latest P3 firmware is 10300. In wheel Nm at 9:1 that would me 1145 motor Nm (higher with drivetrain losses) which is higher than the P100D at 933 ish.