Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Scan My Tesla, a CANBUS reader for Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding the app's option to stream data to Teslalogger -- are the data sent in real time, or can data be cached on the device and sent later?

I'm asking 'coz I'm running ScanMyTesla on a tablet without mobile data connection while driving. And I cannot try it myself yet, 'coz I'm running TeslaMate instead of Teslalogger at the moment. If the data are sent to Teslalogger in real time, then I'll need to setup a wifi hotspot for the tablet and also a VPN connection to my home Teslalogger installation; if the data are cached then I can let the app upload the data when I get home (easier).

Thanks!

If you run the iOS version on a 12.9" iPad is it going to look ridiculous? Not sure I like the three multi-value gauges. I have the cable, MX+ and android license but did not want to hook anything up until I got my HW 3.0 installed which I did last month. Is there a site that has more detailed shots of what the iOS version can do?

If you run the iOS version on a 12.9" iPad is it going to look ridiculous? Not sure I like the three multi-value gauges. I have the cable, MX+ and android license but did not want to hook anything up until I got my HW 3.0 installed which I did last month. Is there a site that has more detailed shots of what the iOS version can do?

I think it will look great. I developed on an older ipad, not sure what size that is, smaller than yours, but it looks good.

Currently no documentation, feel free to ask. There are constant Testflight versions out and will be for a while, they are free, try them if you are unsure.

Per now you have dashboards with 1, 2 or 3 gauges next to eachother. The plan is to make it more customizable in the future, both the number and placement of gauges, more dashboards and gauges-pre made, and to be able to edit the gauges and make new ones. That last part could take a while though.

First beta of version 2.0 for Android is out!

New dashboards

Still beta, some functionalitiy is not yet complete:
- Welcome pages
- File recording
- Teslalogger integration
- Some menu items are redundant, or missing
- Settings are not working the same across both old and new UI

Please report any crashes, and overall usability and understandability

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.emon.canbus.tesla

You can also try the UI demo app, this just plays back a log, but will give you an impression of how the UI looks and feels.

https://play.google.com/a…/testing/com.emon.canbus.teslademo

Reactions: bedoig

New dashboards

- Welcome pages
- File recording

You can also try the UI demo app, this just plays back a log, but will give you an impression of how the UI looks and feels.

Amund, how does it integrate with Teslalogger?
I already have SMT and i'm waiting for the Teslalogger Raspberry

New dashboards

- Welcome pages
- File recording

Congrats! Eager to try it out later today.

Reactions: amund7
Amund, how does it integrate with Teslalogger?
I already have SMT and i'm waiting for the Teslalogger Raspberry

The beta version does not support it yet, but the production version does it full-fledged. You can select which signals to log, the default signals are set up in cooperation with the Teslalogger developer, so the defaults should give the best experience for Teslalogger.

Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.

New dashboards

- Welcome pages
- File recording

Using version 2.0.B1 on Android

Here's some initial observations.

Would it be possible to have the battery gauge stretch to fill the screen in landscape 1-guage view? And for the round gauges center them horizontally in landscape 1 gauge view.

There are some text overlap issues on the battery gauge both in landscape and portrait mode.

The top of the Temperature gauge clips in certain views.

When switching between landscape and portrait, it does not remember which view at was in.

I'm also curious how you detect original battery size? Do you just assume anything longer than short-range is a long-range? If so, what will happen when degradation reaches the point that battery is less capable than the next size battery down.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200513-103759.png
    Screenshot_20200513-103759.png
    310.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20200513-103732.png
    Screenshot_20200513-103732.png
    238 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20200513-102541.png
    Screenshot_20200513-102541.png
    124.8 KB · Views: 32
I'm looking to set up TeslaLogger as well based on the integration with SMT. Really cool.

Tried out the Android beta. It honestly took me a few minutes to figure out the dashboard was scrollable, LOL. I opened it, saw the two initial gauges, saw all the rest of the tabs with the old UI, and was thinking this is nice, but not really anything earth shattering....

It's actually really cool! Nice work! Maybe you could bounce scroll the initial panes of the dashboard or something to make it obvious there's more here? Or some kind of ShowcaseView or something (if that's still a thing... haven't done any Android work in a long time)? Great job again!

I'm looking to set up TeslaLogger as well based on the integration with SMT. Really cool.

Tried out the Android beta. It honestly took me a few minutes to figure out the dashboard was scrollable, LOL. I opened it, saw the two initial gauges, saw all the rest of the tabs with the old UI, and was thinking this is nice, but not really anything earth shattering....

It's actually really cool! Nice work! Maybe you could bounce scroll the initial panes of the dashboard or something to make it obvious there's more here? Or some kind of ShowcaseView or something (if that's still a thing... haven't done any Android work in a long time)? Great job again!

It is kind of earth shattering, isn't it? :D This is just the start, now that all the boring stuff in the background is starting to work, I can really let loose designing some heating/cooling system schematics with live values. I also plan to make all gauges editable, so you can build your own, export to XML and share online. But that will take some time to complete.

There were supposed to be 2 welcome screens showing on the first run, where the 2nd shows you (with a finger and some arrows + text) how you can scroll around. Didn't they work, or you probably just closed it, as would I! You can find them again in Settings. But yeah, to have them bounce a bit would be cool, and very illustrative.

BTW amazing new feature in Teslalogger released today: If you opt-in to share your data, you can compare your car with the 'fleet' of other Teslalogger users who are anonymously sharing their data. You can then compare your degradation, charge speed and other things.

Using version 2.0.B1 on Android

Would it be possible to have the battery gauge stretch to fill the screen in landscape 1-guage view? And for the round gauges center them horizontally in landscape 1 gauge view.

There are some text overlap issues on the battery gauge both in landscape and portrait mode.

The top of the Temperature gauge clips in certain views.

When switching between landscape and portrait, it does not remember which view at was in.

I'm also curious how you detect original battery size? Do you just assume anything longer than short-range is a long-range? If so, what will happen when degradation reaches the point that battery is less capable than the next size battery down.

They are supposed to stretch like you suggest, but with the IOS implementation it is a rare bug where they don't resize after rotating the screen. With the Android version, exact same code, it seems to to this always? I will fix it, but until then, if you start the app while in landscape mode you should get the full width.

Font sizes are tough, I thought I had managed them not to overlap in IOS, but with Android it's a new story again. Will work on it more. Same with the gauges moving on rotate, exact same code works as expected on IOS, I just noticed this today, will figure it out somehow. The gauge selection should also be stored between app restarts, but currently isn't.

Model 3 has a signal that we recently discovered, that reports the 'new' full pack capacity. Not sure how accurate it is yet, it seems to be a hard-coded number equal for all cars (of the same battery type), as we know the battery and BMS 'settles in' a bit the first few weeks of ownership, and then start reflecting the actual capacity. I am worried that the degradation numbers will show too much degradation with this method, I hope people don't freak out and go bananas. As they usually do when they realize their current battery capacity. If it causes too much drama, I will remove it.

I should also give something to the S and X guys, those cars don't report this number (that we have found). I thought something as silly as they having to enter that number manually. That way, I don't have the impossible task of combing the whole internet to try to find all the different Nominal numbers from the different batteries, trying to auto-detect which battery each person has, and end up in a crossfire of lawsuits when people go bananas and sue Tesla for the (potentially wrong) numbers I put there o_O I don't want to give people that ammunition, and if I do, I must be 100% sure it's correct, and aligned with the numbers Tesla see themselves. Which is why I'm slightly worried about this feature. We'll see how it goes :)

Reactions: cypho and bedoig
There were supposed to be 2 welcome screens showing on the first run, where the 2nd shows you (with a finger and some arrows + text) how you can scroll around. Didn't they work, or you probably just closed it, as would I! You can find them again in Settings. But yeah, to have them bounce a bit would be cool, and very illustrative.

Ah, I just went back and looked and I did see that page. I was just focused more on the buttons at the bottom and didn't grasp the meaning of the finger and arrows (too excited to get into the app, ha). The connection status also overlays your text description at the top making it more or less unreadable.

• Informative
They are supposed to stretch like you suggest, but with the IOS implementation it is a rare bug where they don't resize after rotating the screen. With the Android version, exact same code, it seems to to this always? I will fix it, but until then, if you start the app while in landscape mode you should get the full width.

Font sizes are tough, I thought I had managed them not to overlap in IOS, but with Android it's a new story again. Will work on it more. Same with the gauges moving on rotate, exact same code works as expected on IOS, I just noticed this today, will figure it out somehow. The gauge selection should also be stored between app restarts, but currently isn't.

Sounds like fun. Reminds me of web development from 10 years ago, where each browser and each browser version needed it's own code.

Model 3 has a signal that we recently discovered, that reports the 'new' full pack capacity. Not sure how accurate it is yet, it seems to be a hard-coded number equal for all cars (of the same battery type), as we know the battery and BMS 'settles in' a bit the first few weeks of ownership, and then start reflecting the actual capacity. I am worried that the degradation numbers will show too much degradation with this method, I hope people don't freak out and go bananas. As they usually do when they realize their current battery capacity. If it causes too much drama, I will remove it.

I should also give something to the S and X guys, those cars don't report this number (that we have found). I thought something as silly as they having to enter that number manually. That way, I don't have the impossible task of combing the whole internet to try to find all the different Nominal numbers from the different batteries, trying to auto-detect which battery each person has, and end up in a crossfire of lawsuits when people go bananas and sue Tesla for the (potentially wrong) numbers I put there o_O I don't want to give people that ammunition, and if I do, I must be 100% sure it's correct, and aligned with the numbers Tesla see themselves. Which is why I'm slightly worried about this feature. We'll see how it goes :)
I don't see how anyone could be mad at you for displaying a value the car reports.

For S/X you could prompt user to enter original battery capacity after they select car type. Of course most people would probably incorrectly enter the value Tesla advertises (100/90/75/85/60/40) instead of the actual battery capacity. But nobody can blame you for inaccurate data when you leave it up to the user to type in the number.

I ran to Best Buy and picked up a raspberry pi 4 to play around with TeslaLogger. Got that up and running and it's now churning through 19 months of historical TeslaFi data. I'm torn, but I think I'm going to hop back to the production version so I can play with the SMT logging to TeslaLogger. Can't wait for the update to the prod version with the new dashboards!