Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Scan My Tesla, a CANBUS reader for Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may have found a few more bugs in the latest beta Android app.

1 - The trip counters are reset every time the app is closed. I never tried using it on the stable version so perhaps that's how it's supposed to work.

2 - Maximum charging amps and maximum charging power appear to report incorrect values. See attached screenshot. Actual battery amps/power is higher than maximum amps/power. Battery power matched the value shown on the cars charging screen so it seems that the error is with the maximums. I noticed this during several different charging sessions, so it was not a one-time fluke. Again I never looked at it during a supercharging session on the stable version so I don't know that the problem is with the app. It might just be that the CAN data is faulty.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200620-083018.png
    Screenshot_20200620-083018.png
    495.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot_20200620-083338.png
    Screenshot_20200620-083338.png
    492.4 KB · Views: 49
Here's the issue reconnecting I was talking about on MCU2 with the MX Bluetooth module on my Model X.

The only way to get it back is to disconnect the unit, wait a moment and reconnect it. But that's tough to when putting the cubby back in place.

Try the latest firmware for the obdlink. They have 3 or 4 new firmware versions in a row, all claiming to fix canbus issues. I have not tried them myself yet, so not sure it helps, but I figure it's worth a try. Please report back if it fixes it or not.

Reactions: Kacey Green
I may have found a few more bugs in the latest beta Android app.

1 - The trip counters are reset every time the app is closed. I never tried using it on the stable version so perhaps that's how it's supposed to work.

2 - Maximum charging amps and maximum charging power appear to report incorrect values. See attached screenshot. Actual battery amps/power is higher than maximum amps/power. Battery power matched the value shown on the cars charging screen so it seems that the error is with the maximums. I noticed this during several different charging sessions, so it was not a one-time fluke. Again I never looked at it during a supercharging session on the stable version so I don't know that the problem is with the app. It might just be that the CAN data is faulty.

1. That's a solid bug, I remember seeing it but didn't connect the dots. Thanks for reporting.

2. This was always like that, from what I hear the MCU decides the supercharger speed regardless of these signals. AC charging and regen obeys the limits however, and when they are lower than say 60 kW, that is useful information, because it will affect your AC charge or regen speeds.

I would love to see the option to show both. Same with temperature. Not two different scales, just show both numbers. But I understand this might take up extra space and mess up some of the UI.

It will probably be better to show these numbers differently, maybe more like the old UI, and not on a scale.

A few thoughts for temperature display.

Battery temperature can vary quite a but forcing you to have a wide scale. It can be -25 C up to 56 C (the highest I have ever seen in my car in the desert). Having such a wide scale will make cause the size of the bat min /max and inlet very small and clumped together. So they become useless. Let's take a step back and think about why you want to look at temperature. There is really no point in having the entire range of possible temperature visible. It doesn't provide any information. What a driver is interested in is what is my battery currently at and in which direction does the car want to adjust it. What changes are happening when I accelerate or supercharge and so on. The three value that are most important are the bat min and max and the inlet. That's where the battery is at and the inlet tells me what the car is going for. Having the gauge scale showing just this range will zoom in and allow me to see changes very well. On the right and left side of the scale you can show heating or cooling targets. There is no benefit to zoom out to have a target visible on a scale. Now there is a benefit see where the battery is on the entire scale visually. After all the entire purpose of the tool is to visualize data, not just numbers. So here is my suggestion: Have two options. Show the entire scale (all the way 'zoomed out') and a way to switch to a zoomed in that shows the range just of the three numbers mentioned above. How to switch? Just double tap on the scale.

Voltage:

There are two different things you want to visualize. The total voltage (cell and pack) and the difference (balance). So those are two entirely different scales. For the balance/difference, you don't want an absolute scale. You always want to zoom in from min to max. Basically you just want to see the spread. The other one is the actual battery voltage. That scale should not zoom. For that it's important to see how the voltage is compared to the entire range! You might want to cut the scale from 2.2 to 4.3 Volt because the cell voltage never goes below 2.5 or higher than 4.2. Basically limit to the relevant range, not start from zero.

One other thought about voltage. Cell voltages come in rather slow from the BMS. The bricks are measured one after another. So looking at brick voltage gives you a delayed number. It misses the quick changes when you suddenly accelerate. The pack voltage comes in in realtime, though. Pack voltage depends on the battery size, though. Long Range or Standard Range, 60/70/85/100 batteries have different number of bricks. So how about this. Take the pack voltage and divide it by the number of bricks in that car and show that number. This way we get a realtime voltage displayed as cell voltage number which is more useful. I hope this makes sense.

Lots of good ideas here. The current temperature 'scales' were to try to understand the temp limits/targets (because they were new, and I didn't think they made much sense in the regular Temps tab of the old UI) and how your current state is within/outside these limits, and if the car then is doing something to remedy it. I agree it could be interesting just to remove the limits and have a more zoomed view of the temperatures. The long-term plan is to make all dashboards editable, sharable, uploadable, but to hard-code new dashboards like the one you mention is quite quick for me in this state, I will see what I can do to add some of your suggestions. But none are permanent as the layouts will change and other custom dashboards will come soon. Only problem I see is if there are too many to scroll through, the list gets too long and it's hard to find the one you're looking for.

About calculating a fast cell voltage, I have thought about it. The problem is, I don't know the number of cells for all cars. We can sort of get them from Model S, but that requires the app to listen to the cell voltage packets 'for a while', then guess when more are not coming in... also S60/70/75 does not report the last cell group for some reason. Model 3 does not report individual cells, just the max and min. Even if we hard-coded the number of cell groups, you would only get the average, not the max or min. So in my opinion, a lot of work and pitfalls for a limited result. But the idea is good, I have thought of it many times.

PS. Built a pack voltage + battery power screen with the same layout, will be included in next beta. I think you'll like it :) It also has a 12v systems screen, even for model 3.

@David99 , that is a great (right) perspective to take I think. What are the reasons (uses cases) for wanting to visually see the numbers. What useful 'story' do you want to 'tell'? Also what is useful at some short term viewing/glances as you are driving vs sitting still in the car (ie. while supercharging).

I have thought of this before, should split dashboards into 'charging' and 'driving', maybe some other scenarios ('bored'? 'road trip' etc)

I think I won't go bananas with lots of dashboards now, will rather try to get them editable so you all can put your ideas to life, share them, and submit them to me to become standard dashboards. First I need to implement some important features such as Teslalogger support, 0-60 timers, trips, and hopefully a render of the Tesla factory screen thermal dashboard. Trips and 0-60 should have custom dashboards with their own reset buttons, results list, pulldown for different trips etc, stuff that I wanted in the old app but couldn't due to the basic nature of the old list-based UI.

• Love
Reactions: David99
Here's the issue reconnecting I was talking about on MCU2 with the MX Bluetooth module on my Model X.
The only way to get it back is to disconnect the unit, wait a moment and reconnect it. But that's tough to when putting the cubby back in place.
FYI, I'm having similar issues on the beta but did not have them on the non-beta. I have a MCU2 (upgraded) MX as well. I had to leave my cubby out as I have to physically unplug it as well. I have had mixed (mostly bad) luck force closing the app and restarting. Phone is Pixel 2. Timing issue of some sort. It does seem if I scroll thru the new screen that it adjust filters (msg is shown) related to the data graphs/scales I'm scrolling thru.

FYI, I'm having similar issues on the beta but did not have them on the non-beta. I have a MCU2 (upgraded) MX as well. I had to leave my cubby out as I have to physically unplug it as well. I have had mixed (mostly bad) luck force closing the app and restarting. Phone is Pixel 2. Timing issue of some sort. It does seem if I scroll thru the new screen that it adjust filters (msg is shown) related to the data graphs/scales I'm scrolling thru.

The response I gave Kacey Green was for when the obdlink hangs, and the app actually gives the timeout/socket closed error.

Can you do a little more testing the next time you see this problem? Do you get an error, or just a dead dashboard while everything seems to work? If you change dashboards after that, will it start working again? If so that is the dash change not registering correctly/wrong filters being set. WIth this I am trying to distinguish between a UI bug (backend getting the wrong message about which dashboard is showing) and the obdlink firmware bug.

The strange thing is I very rarely see the obdlink hanging, only if I'm doing can dumps (which I do sometimes to collect logs for testing & analyzing). Otherwise this rarely happens to me. I have a theory that in my model 3, the obdlinks (I have two on a Y splitter) lose power when the car sleeps. So every day they are freshly booted. I think a lot of model S/X cables are wired so that the obdlink is always powered, that doesn't help the hanging, I think it is a memory leak that happens after a long time with lots of data. If you have an obdlink too, you could try the latest firmwares and see if it helps.

You are right, ultimately editable gauges is the way to go. Everyone has their own preferences.

I understand the problem with the cell voltage taken from the entire pack. Maybe make it simple and allow the user to enter a simple number as a divider. Just mention the different packs and their brick numbers in the documentation and users can experiment and find their correct number. Should be a simple task that takes just a minute to compare it to the actual cell voltages to find the right number and then that's it. No need to write an algorithm that does that.

Can you do a little more testing the next time you see this problem? Do you get an error, or just a dead dashboard while everything seems to work? If you change dashboards after that, will it start working again? If so that is the dash change not registering correctly/wrong filters being set. WIth this I am trying to distinguish between a UI bug (backend getting the wrong message about which dashboard is showing) and the obdlink firmware bug.
Good points. I'm sure I have seen at least 2 or 3 different sort of errors and it would have been much smarter of me to do screen captures and try to note about what I was doing when it happened. Sorry for lack of details. I'll pay more attention.

Hi all,

Just purchased the adapter cable and generic Bluetooth OBD Dongle from eMobility. I tried scanning through this forum, for an answer, and Googling, but didn't get a clear one.

My question is whether the OBD Dongle from eMobility works with the iOS version? I have some old iOS phones at home that I'd like to repurpose for the SMT app in the car and would like to know if I need to buy the more expensive MX+ dongle.

Appreciate it if someone could confirm. Thanks.

Hi all,

Just purchased the adapter cable and generic Bluetooth OBD Dongle from eMobility. I tried scanning through this forum, for an answer, and Googling, but didn't get a clear one.

My question is whether the OBD Dongle from eMobility works with the iOS version? I have some old iOS phones at home that I'd like to repurpose for the SMT app in the car and would like to know if I need to buy the more expensive MX+ dongle.

Android only, no iOS. To my knowledge the MX+ is the only one that supports iOS.

Hi all,

scan my tesla - Adapters

Currently only MX+ works with the IOS version. I hope to support BLE devices too some time in the future, but I can't promise. The good thing with the MX+ is it is super fast, and works with both IOS and Android, then you have all the choices going forward.

Hi, I noticed few days ago on YouTube a video with the SMT App having a "BMS" Tab, showing the voltage level of each Cell.

I don't see this Tab and I was wondering if there is a special setting to get this Tab of if this was a prototype SMT App under testing.
I don't remember in which video I saw this, but I will look at my Youtube history and I will try to find it and post a pic of it.

Note: I just got today the 2020.24.6.1 update on my Model 3, I have the SMT 1.9.2, and I use the ODB2 MX+ with Android Samsung Note 8.

Hi, I noticed few days ago on YouTube a video with the SMT App having a "BMS" Tab, showing the voltage level of each Cell.

I don't see this Tab and I was wondering if there is a special setting to get this Tab of if this was a prototype SMT App under testing.
I don't remember in which video I saw this, but I will look at my Youtube history and I will try to find it and post a pic of it.

Note: I just got today the 2020.24.6.1 update on my Model 3, I have the SMT 1.9.2, and I use the ODB2 MX+ with Android Samsung Note 8.
Suggest you put your car in your sig so it is clear.
This Google sheet shows there are diffs between S/X and the 3/Y. BMS I think is one.
Scan My Tesla readings

Correct as Scott says, Model S will give each cell module's voltage and temperature, while Model 3 only reports the current max and min values. The BMS tab on S or X shows each of these values.

This Google sheet shows there are diffs between S/X and the 3/Y. BMS I think is one.
Scan My Tesla readings

Model S will give each cell module's voltage and temperature, while Model 3 only reports the current max and min values.
The BMS tab on S or X shows each of these values.

Thank you so much for the quick answer.

What I am interested is to know if a tool similar to

This would be useful when buying a used Tesla to get more detail information regarding the battery cells status.
I wonder if fact if Tesla has a similar tool, so the Service Centers could perform some more thorough diagnostic?

So far using SMT I can access to the 'Battery Degradation' and 'AC/DC/Regen Total Charge'
but is there any additional information to look at when you want to sale your car or to buy a used one?

Note: Does the Model Y contains additional HVAC information because of the heat pump?

Has anyone noticed changes recently to displayed SMT data for the MS?

For instance, usable full pack has disappeared, even after a reset. Plus I have a bunch of I think new data fields.

Target batt, target PT. 4 new fields...