Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Scan My Tesla, a CANBUS reader for Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My guess its a 3/Y feature and as someone pointed out above possibly available in Refresh S/X but maybe SMT didn't catch up to it yet...

For kicks, i switched mine to 3/Y and got CAC to show up but obviously with bogus/unavailable data...

View attachment 947947
To add to this, info is definitely there on Legacy S/X if i go into Diagnostic mode but i'm not sure if its not a standard CAN data or SMT just didn't add it in or decoded...

1687036491971.png

I used to use KWH to Charge Complete View attachment 948181
on my in car display but that signal seems to be broken now in both CanServer and TesLax, don't even see it tracked in SMT. I guess no one is updating the .dbc signal list for Teslas anymore, wish *I* knew how to update it.
I'd post over on this more active thread. Doesn't seem like @amund7 is responding. @JWardell or others there could answer about the .dbc under his github.

• Informative
Reactions: brainhouston
I used to use KWH to Charge Complete View attachment 948181
on my in car display but that signal seems to be broken now in both CanServer and TesLax, don't even see it tracked in SMT. I guess no one is updating the .dbc signal list for Teslas anymore, wish *I* knew how to update it.

Mine isn't being updated, but there are folks keeping up with updates. Best I can point you to is the signal list in the TesLax app.

I just need to learn how to use the TesLax app better, I modified the latest 3&Y EVs preset to include the BMS_energyToChargeComplete signal and it worked correctly, so you are right, the TesLax signal list is more up to date.

I hope there is a way to update my previous presets with that signal list. Now I need to explore other signals that have been set to multiplex and complain about them, I think the 12v Amps is one that jumps around too.

Also curious how to get the CANServer to recognize these new signals, I don't see a setting for multiplex like I do in TesLax:

IMG_0153.jpeg

Do you have to UnRoot to take your car in for service? Do you have to avoid updates to keep the car rooted? What's the biggest benefit of having the root done?
Theoretically yes, since Tesla's access has been removed after root, which also stops updates. App works just fine tho.
But unless u do it urself, it'll be expensive to root/unroot by someone else all the time (i'm not that smart)
Not a problem for me, i fix it myself n never take it to Tesla.

Main reason for root is to enable CCS/SC. Diagnostic mode came with it which is really nice for troubleshooting.
Keep in mind this was done before CCS was available as retrofit or even adapter itself.. I had to source parts from Korea n Ukraine..
Neither the Salvage HV inspection was available when i did it, although seems it still unavailable for X...
Additionally with root u can get P2D/glovebox codes.

Reactions: israndy
Mystery solved regarding Android and CAC values, thanks to @BrownOuttaSpec
You just need beta version

Here's mine:
1688228358712.png

Also, for some reason it didn't work on the first try for me...

Mystery solved regarding Android and CAC values, thanks to @BrownOuttaSpec
You just need beta version

Here's mine:
View attachment 952392

Also, for some reason it didn't work on the first try for me...
Didn't work for me, but only tried once... sat in car for 30min and nothing. Will try another day. Going out of town for a while tomorrow.

95.4/99.4 gives u 4% degradation but i'm not sure if "full new pack" value SMT uses is correct
best way is to charge to 100% n look at rated value on dash vs advertised rated miles
Yeah, not buying the 4% degradation 😃
TeslaFi shows me 0.71%.

(The drop in the picture is change from 19" to 21" and TeslaFi does not correctly show it or compare to the fleet, it is a "bug".)

IMG_8719.jpeg

Yeah, not buying the 4% degradation 😃
TeslaFi shows me 0.71%.

(The drop in the picture is change from 19" to 21" and TeslaFi does not correctly show it or compare to the fleet, it is a "bug".)

View attachment 992066
Just look at rated mile loss for minimum loss percentage. It’s likely a bit higher than that, but S owners would have to let you know what a typical starting point is for a new pack. Can vary a bit and take a while to dial in.

@AAKEE ’s started around 95kWh estimate but after a while the BMS figured it out and displayed 98kWh (presumably has decreased since then).

So most likely 2-3% which is normal. Will gradually go to 6-10%, depending on many factors, over the next year or two, and then slow down considerably.

Reactions: Dave EV
I am a bit confused about these numbers and can't figure out the degradation. Any help? Thanks.

MS LR 2023.

View attachment 992025
Just a comment...it appears @AAKEE and others are correct, the buffer is exactly 4.5% of the NFP, at least for 2023 LR.

I recall it was reported to be much less, 1-3 KwH, at least on the early refresh.

I have 2.25% degradation as reported by Teslafi. Tessie, which I just got recently, says I have 94 KwH usable.

My degradation seems to be normal and right in the middle of the fleet per the above apps.

One day I'm going get the cable and see SMT for myself, like I did with the old 85D

Just a comment...it appears @AAKEE and others are correct, the buffer is exactly 4.5% of the NFP, at least for 2023 LR.

I recall it was reported to be much less, 1-3 KwH, at least on the early refresh.

I have 2.25% degradation as reported by Teslafi. Tessie, which I just got recently, says I have 94 KwH usable.

My degradation seems to be normal and right in the middle of the fleet per the above apps.

One day I'm going get the cable and see SMT for myself, like I did with the old 85D
Early S/X had a fixed buffer (fixed in kWh).
Smaller packs had 2.X or so and above 70-75kWh it was 4kWh.

Im sure any S refresh has/had 4.5% since new. Model 3/Y use 4.5% since the intro of these.

Tessie reports the total capacity, until recently they called it ”usable” but I thought it was adjusted to ”capacity” only

Teslafi reports degradation from the first value at joining. For my MSP, which initially showed a nominal full pack of 95.7 kWh, it showed -3% degradation (negative degradation value) as the BMS adjusted to the real capacity.

99.4kWh is the Full Pack When New for the S refresh.

My 2023 is march built, delivered in june and has 9K km.
Nominal Full Pack is around 98kWh (jumping up and down a few 1/10’s).

Todays full charge had 98.2kWh nominal remaining and 97.9 nominal full pack.

Early S/X had a fixed buffer (fixed in kWh).
Smaller packs had 2.X or so and above 70-75kWh it was 4kWh.

Im sure any S refresh has/had 4.5% since new. Model 3/Y use 4.5% since the intro of these.

Tessie reports the total capacity, until recently they called it ”usable” but I thought it was adjusted to ”capacity” only

Teslafi reports degradation from the first value at joining. For my MSP, which initially showed a nominal full pack of 95.7 kWh, it showed -3% degradation (negative degradation value) as the BMS adjusted to the real capacity.

99.4kWh is the Full Pack When New for the S refresh.

My 2023 is march built, delivered in june and has 9K km.
Nominal Full Pack is around 98kWh (jumping up and down a few 1/10’s).

Todays full charge had 98.2kWh nominal remaining and 97.9 nominal full pack.

Thanks for the info!

Having an older MS before, I was used to the fixed buffer. Switching to percent makes sense.

Tessie does currently report the pack capability as "Capacity".

My car is a May 22 LR with 9.5k miles, 15.3k km.

The current report is 94.2 KwH. Correct for the 4.5% buffer gives 98.4 KwH Nominal Full Pack (NFP)

I added Teslafi on the new car a few months after purchase last year. Never saw more than 406 miles RR. Currently showing 2.25% degradation. The 7 years old car with 100k km was less than 3% degradation.

There are three things missing from Teslafi that make me want to use the other apps

Filtering out the 21" wheel fleet data.
Pack temperature
Seeing the NFP. If you know how to do this on Teslafi, let me know)

The current report is 94.2 KwH. Correct for the 4.5% buffer gives 98.4 KwH Nominal Full Pack (NFP)
Not sure about this, because not 100% sure what you are referencing…but…

If the report from Tessie says that, it includes the buffer. So 94.2kWh is 90kWh usable, 4.2kWh buffer.

But in the end you can just look at 100% rated range to crosscheck this (the degradation threshold and vehicle constant for Model S 2022 is provided elsewhere here, probably).

• Helpful
Reactions: aerodyne