Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

screen discoloration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at my SC today for another issue, and decided to just ask the question about when parts for the screen will be available. I was told that they plan on releasing a software update to fix the issue.

I honestly don't buy that explanation. Not sure how a software update can fix this, as it's visible when the system is powered down.

I was at my SC today for another issue, and decided to just ask the question about when parts for the screen will be available. I was told that they plan on releasing a software update to fix the issue.

I honestly don't buy that explanation. Not sure how a software update can fix this, as it's visible when the system is powered down.

They might be rolling out a mask to pixel shift the colors where the burnin happens. It would require a user setting to be able to adjust the strength of the mask though.

Please, finally, accept that the "software fix" is nothing but a cheap excuse to get customers off services' back.
The glue does not discolor in a binary fashion in a predetermined area. So any idea of a color mask is bound to fail, which is why nobody would be stupid enough to even get started on it.

Software. Can't. Fix. This.

It's so painfully obvious it must hurt.

Please, finally, accept that the "software fix" is nothing but a cheap excuse to get customers off services' back.
The glue does not discolor in a binary fashion in a predetermined area. So any idea of a color mask is bound to fail, which is why nobody would be stupid enough to even get started on it.

Software. Can't. Fix. This.

It's so painfully obvious it must hurt.

One can only hope that's not how they intend to fix it given that that claim is they had a software fix:rolleyes:

I have the same yellow border issue one my 6/2017 S100D. For my understanding it is clearly a warranty relevant error. I am absolutely not in hurry, but will report the error to the SC before the end of warranty. As owner i am looking forward to a fix, as stock owner i can understand that Tesla is reluctant with short term actions and general replacement commitments, as even the number of Model S+X under warranty (2 years) can be close to 200.000, all produced S+x are around 400.000, with internal replacement costs roughly estimated with 1000 $, the bill would be 200-400 Mio €. And even if the screen supplier will pay for the replacement parts the costs of logistics and labor costs might still be the burden of Tesla.

What would be a great win-win solution from Tesla, would be a reasonable priced package of upgraded MCU and a screen with the bug fixed. Even if that one is only available at the end of this year (root cause analysis + new design of the screen might take some time), that would be ok, at that time they might already have a MCU2->MCU3 upgrade or could try to get one. And with such a attractive bundle offering a lot of us owners might be glad to pay some 1000-2000 $. It would be a win win situation, Tesla gets the yellow border bug concerning most of its S+X fleet fixed without the huge costs above, and owners are happy to have their cars updated to a decent processor level (+the screen default fixed).

We might make some publicity for such a option towards our Tesla service teams, Tweets to Elon, ... ;)

Reactions: A-Wimoweh
Has Elon ever commented on this situation? During a interview? Invesor conference call? Social medial?

Anyone ever recall seeing him actually validate that the problem is real and being worked on?
Knowing Elon, he probably ignores any tweets about this, and his comment in a live conference would be "Booooooring, next question". His rationale - "who gives a *sugar* about yellow screens, I'll have tens of thousands of self driving robo-taxis next year, and each Model 3 we make will make us $250K, not what is what's not boring"

Reactions: P100D_Me
Same thing started yesterday for my March, 2018 75D build. Contacting SC in Raleigh, NC. +ezSBrxGTnO6nkBvkV7KfQ.jpg