TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

screen discoloration

Discussion in 'Model S' started by bktiger86, Aug 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. P100D_Me

P100D_Me Member

Unfortunately they keep pushing the ETA out, last year I was told first quarter of this year.

2. Pale_Rider

Pale_Rider Member

Had my touchscreen replaced last night. No idea if this is the “new” one or not, but I’ve been waiting since last summer.

New screens now available

3. ttripp1

ttripp1 New Member

I was at my SC today for another issue, and decided to just ask the question about when parts for the screen will be available. I was told that they plan on releasing a software update to fix the issue.

I honestly don't buy that explanation. Not sure how a software update can fix this, as it's visible when the system is powered down.

4. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

They might be rolling out a mask to pixel shift the colors where the burnin happens. It would require a user setting to be able to adjust the strength of the mask though.

5. ttripp1

ttripp1 New Member

True, and mine's actually getting thicker around the edges. I would not accept this as a "fix".

6. CK_Stuggi

CK_Stuggi Member

Please, finally, accept that the "software fix" is nothing but a cheap excuse to get customers off services' back.
    The glue does not discolor in a binary fashion in a predetermined area. So any idea of a color mask is bound to fail, which is why nobody would be stupid enough to even get started on it.

Software. Can't. Fix. This.

It's so painfully obvious it must hurt.

• Like x 3
  7. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

One can only hope that's not how they intend to fix it given that that claim is they had a software fix:rolleyes:

8. Jan Fiala

Jan Fiala Member

Anyone in Europe with the new replacement already?

9. KArnold

KArnold Member

Mine has been on order in the USA for 2 weeks now.

10. Tim-in-CA

Tim-in-CA Member

Does this issue affect the Instrument Cluster screen as well? I am seeing a yellow border on the top of the IC screen in front of the driver as well!!

• Like x 1
  11. vraev

vraev Member

I see it on mine. Especially noticeable if you have sunlight beaming in on the IC display. You can distinctly notice the yellow border.

12. powaking

powaking Member

Me as well although not as much as the center screen.

13. CK_Stuggi

CK_Stuggi Member

Aw guys, c'mon! Now I'll have to check and once it's seen it can't be unseen!

Good thing I can only check in another 2 weeks maybe I forget it by then...

14. Karl-Heinz

Karl-Heinz Member

I have the same yellow border issue one my 6/2017 S100D. For my understanding it is clearly a warranty relevant error. I am absolutely not in hurry, but will report the error to the SC before the end of warranty. As owner i am looking forward to a fix, as stock owner i can understand that Tesla is reluctant with short term actions and general replacement commitments, as even the number of Model S+X under warranty (2 years) can be close to 200.000, all produced S+x are around 400.000, with internal replacement costs roughly estimated with 1000 $, the bill would be 200-400 Mio €. And even if the screen supplier will pay for the replacement parts the costs of logistics and labor costs might still be the burden of Tesla.

What would be a great win-win solution from Tesla, would be a reasonable priced package of upgraded MCU and a screen with the bug fixed. Even if that one is only available at the end of this year (root cause analysis + new design of the screen might take some time), that would be ok, at that time they might already have a MCU2->MCU3 upgrade or could try to get one. And with such a attractive bundle offering a lot of us owners might be glad to pay some 1000-2000 $. It would be a win win situation, Tesla gets the yellow border bug concerning most of its S+X fleet fixed without the huge costs above, and owners are happy to have their cars updated to a decent processor level (+the screen default fixed).

We might make some publicity for such a option towards our Tesla service teams, Tweets to Elon, ... ;)

• Like x 1
  15. re04586

re04586 Member

Has Elon ever commented on this situation? During a interview? Invesor conference call? Social medial?

Anyone ever recall seeing him actually validate that the problem is real and being worked on?

16. whitex

whitex Active Member

Knowing Elon, he probably ignores any tweets about this, and his comment in a live conference would be "Booooooring, next question". His rationale - "who gives a *sugar* about yellow screens, I'll have tens of thousands of self driving robo-taxis next year, and each Model 3 we make will make us $250K, not what is what's not boring"

• Like x 1
  17. Michael Tapper

Michael Tapper New Member

Same thing started yesterday for my March, 2018 75D build. Contacting SC in Raleigh, NC. +ezSBrxGTnO6nkBvkV7KfQ.jpg

18. P100DHG.

P100DHG. Member

Model X in for service today to fix/ “heal” screen discoloring I’ll post pictures this evening

• Like x 1
  19. Mokuzai

Mokuzai Member

They have the tool now at Burbank? Mine was there last Wednesday and they didn't have the tool yet.

20. P100DHG.

P100DHG. Member

Yup in Uber on my way right now to check it out. Diana in service says she’s a believer after seeing the results. I’ll post a pic of the result.

Here is the before
    54EFDF2F-6BAB-4D5A-B9A9-31E2153DACF3.jpeg

• Like x 1