Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scrolling wheel on steering wheel easily breaks. Is the part available separately?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My volume wheel just broke as well, looked the same as what @Pedro.Tx posted a while back. I ended up using the end of the 1.5mm bit (measured 1.7 across the flats) from my mini-screwdriver set (Amazon.com). It pained me to take the bit, but for $14 it's a lot cheaper than buying the parts from Tesla.

Steps I took after disassembling the assembly with the wheel in it:
1. Drilled out the broken hex with a 3/32" bit. I went deeper than necessary to give excess epoxy a place to go.
View attachment 706637
2. Cut the end off the bit where it starts to taper down to the 1.5mm end
View attachment 706635
3. Coated the inside of the scroll wheel with epoxy and inserted the bit.
4. After the epoxy started to gel up (I used a 30 minute work life epoxy) I carefully aligned it to make sure it was perpendicular to the face of the wheel.
5. Cured overnight and reassembled.

View attachment 706636
I just wanted to say thanks for posting this guide! This worked great for me. Seems like it should hold up better than the original.

The new scroll wheel is more robust and the pushbuttons have also changed to a new improved design.
The original buttons (2012-2015) were a 2-piece design and the new design is a 1-piece rocker design.
I had both replaced recently under the ESA extended warranty. ;)

I bought a new-design but broken unit off EBay for $25 to repair and install rather than doing the whole repair all in one sitting. The buttons are a new simpler design but the plastic axle for the scroll wheel is the same. So it will have a similar lifetime before failing.

Reactions: David.85D
I posted it to Thingiverse if you have access to a good printer. I used a Formlabs Form 2. The one I've been playing with is still holding up... I've got nine more sitting on my desk that I printed in the first test batch, so feel free to PM me if you want to be a beta tester (isn't every Tesla owner a beta tester...)

Do you have any of the prototypes left? Sorry my access is still restricted from PMs.. No worries if not, I can print from Thingiverse.
Question: have you determined that the steel wire is no longer required for support? Noticed the Thingiverse part is solid.
Thanks!
Rob
2016 S70D

Do you have any of the prototypes left? Sorry my access is still restricted from PMs.. No worries if not, I can print from Thingiverse.
Question: have you determined that the steel wire is no longer required for support? Noticed the Thingiverse part is solid.
Thanks!
Rob
2016 S70D
I can send you some. I’ll pm you.

The version without the wire seems to be holding up. At least, I haven’t heard back from anyone yet.

Reactions: uscgreel
I can send you some. I’ll pm you.

The version without the wire seems to be holding up. At least, I haven’t heard back from anyone yet.
I’m in the same boat. I successfully drilled out the broken scroll wheel, added the 1/16 hex bit and now have a mostly functional scroller, but scrolling is not smooth, so I think the hex bit axel is not well centered in the plastic wheel and is creating resistance.

Would be excited to pay for S&H to replace my attempt with one of yours, David.85D, if you’re able to PM me? I’m unable to PM you.

Cheers 🍻

I’m in the same boat. I successfully drilled out the broken scroll wheel, added the 1/16 hex bit and now have a mostly functional scroller, but scrolling is not smooth, so I think the hex bit axel is not well centered in the plastic wheel and is creating resistance.

Would be excited to pay for S&H to replace my attempt with one of yours, David.85D, if you’re able to PM me? I’m unable to PM you.

Cheers 🍻
Will do

After YouTubing fixes, eBay searches for “better” fixes and shopping for straight up plug and play replacements, none of them seem like they would hold up in the long run and would require fixing it again in the near future. If possible I would love to buy your printed version if you have any left David.85D
I can’t pm you because I haven’t posted enough, any way you can pm me? Thanks in advance!

After YouTubing fixes, eBay searches for “better” fixes and shopping for straight up plug and play replacements, none of them seem like they would hold up in the long run and would require fixing it again in the near future. If possible I would love to buy your printed version if you have any left David.85D
I can’t pm you because I haven’t posted enough, any way you can pm me? Thanks in advance!
@David.85D I hope I tagged you properly!

Thanks to @David.85D and his 3d printed scroll wheels. I’m back in business. The fit is perfect and the metal rod inside guarantees this will never break! I took the money I would have spent on the the entire scroll wheel and spent it on a new steering wheel

Attachments

• IMG_6947.jpeg
    IMG_6947.jpeg
    603.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_6946.jpeg
    IMG_6946.jpeg
    478.2 KB · Views: 42