Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self /Auto Park sucks!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
all of you are lucky. i'm 2 months in and i parallel park 5 days a week at my kids school and have only seen the P icon on two occasions. and both times i was still rolling forward and didn't stop in time to activate it.

i really don't know how to get it to find a parallel parking space. i have tried pulling up farther, using my blinker, being super close to the cars on the right, etc etc. it hasn't picked up a space since like week 2. what am i doing wrong?

From the Owners Manual (P78):

1. When driving slowly on a public road, monitor the instrument panel to determine when Autopark has detected a potential parking space. When Autopark detects a parking space, the instrument panel displays a parking icon. Autopark detects parallel parking locations when driving below 15 mph (24 km/h) and perpendicular parking locations when driving below 10 mph (16 km/h).
  1. Note: If the Autopark icon does not appear at potential parking spaces when driving at the indicated speed, it is possible that Autopark is calibrating. Autopark requires a calibration process when Model S is new, or when tires are changed (see Calibration on page 79).

Calibration

During a parking sequence, Autopark must maneuver Model S with a great deal of precision. Therefore, before it can be used, Autopark must complete a calibration process. Calibration can take anywhere from 30 minutes to several days, depending on driving behavior. When Autopark is calibrating, a note displays on the Driver Assistance settings screen indicating that calibration is in progress. When calibration is complete, this note no longer displays and Autopark is available for use.

Note: Autopark repeats the calibration process whenever tires are changed.

And, anecdotally, I think driving too slowly causes problems in detection but I cannot find that written anywhere.

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele
Well, I had my first perpendicular auto-park fail last night.
Car went back and forth 4 times at a whopping 1km/hr (I did see the speedometer hit 2km/hr at one point), never managed to get lined up with the stall, and I eventually aborted it because people were starting to stare (and not in the usual "I'm impressed that the car is parking itself!" way, more in the "where'd that idiot learn to drive?" way)

That said, although it registers parallel stalls about 25% of the time (that's 25% of the time that there's a perfect stall with a good curb and a car ahead and behind) it seems to register perpendicular spots only about 5-10% of the time. In fact it registers those stalls so seldom that the techy geek inside me almost has to use it each time it does, even though I know it's always faster to just do it myself.

Used the Self / Auto park yesterday. I pulled up next to a car and put the car in reverse. I selected the auto park button and let the car parallel park. The car proceeded to back up into the space. It then pulled forward to straighten out but came too close to the curb and the front right rim rubbed ... luckily i hit the brakes and stopped the car. i now have about 4 inches of curb rash on my rim. Thanks Tesla!!!

I feel your pain. It happened to me as well. I use auto-park after each update, hoping for an improvement. Unfortunately, I get upset and feel dumb to expect something different.

What does ultrasonic detectors respond with? A simple fixed distance to nearest point reflecting back? Or can they create a fancier picture?
basically each sensor just gives a fixed distance, multiple sensors give a fancier image, but there's only 2 on the side of the car (1 front, 1 rear). In the case of curb rash the problem is that the sensors can't see the curb once you're in the stall because it's too low, so they have to rely on guessing the car position based on what it detected when the car was further away, and based on how far it thinks the car has moved. If it gets either of these wrong, it has no way of knowing until you hit the brakes.

I gotta say this is one of those "are you driving the same car as me" threads. I don't parallel a lot but when I do it works awesome. Had a few passengers in the car last time and they thought it was pretty cool as well.
It's like any Tesla feature, it's intermittent. I find parallel parking has always worked great for me, but I'm also not at all surprised to hear it occasionally fails miserably. The issue is that the sensor suite isn't actually enough to properly do what it's doing. So it ends up using a bunch of dead-reckoning in the process. Most of the time that will yield excellent results, but it doesn't take much to mess it up just enough to hit something. I recommend that no matter how great it works for you, you hover your foot over the brake pedal and watch carefully, just in case.

basically each sensor just gives a fixed distance, multiple sensors give a fancier image, but there's only 2 on the side of the car (1 front, 1 rear). In the case of curb rash the problem is that the sensors can't see the curb once you're in the stall because it's too low, so they have to rely on guessing the car position based on what it detected when the car was further away, and based on how far it thinks the car has moved. If it gets either of these wrong, it has no way of knowing until you hit the brakes.

Probably the closest object until it can't detect it anymore either from out of range or out of sight.

Makes sense. I had a 1x4 flat on my garage floor to tell how far to pull my regular car in. The demo Model S would always flag it as "STOP". Thinking back, interesting that it never flagged the lip of the garage.

The issue is likely a combination of dead reckoning - getting off by a touch having large differences in the result. And various curb & car shapes.

I did find it funny that the back in parking always offered to park me on my lawn between two trees.

I would hope camera based parking could solve it. But the missing license plate level camera would put that in doubt. Would love to see the view from the AP2.0 cameras.

Once cars rely on AI, perhaps there will just be A students and D students.

I don't trust it in tight spaces. This thread justifies my concerns for the latter.
This thread is talking about tight side-to-side. I'm fairly confident it won't hit front-to-back, so it is actually pretty good at getting into tight parallel parking spaces (assuming traffic is light enough to not make that too stressful). I've always found it does a pretty good job with
perpendicular parking, if you ignore its randomly pessimistic judgment about where it can park. But, again, traffic needs to be light
enough that the time and extra maneuvering involved don't get on other drivers' nerves.

My wife and I just bought our ModelS 75D and we are/were diehard fans of Tesla. We used Autopark once and it seemed to work fine despite the car moving in and out of the spot multiple times to get it right (no assistance needed by the driver).

However, 3 weeks ago Autopark slammed the car into a concrete column in our parking garage. Absolutely no time to even react to stop it and I'm not exaggerating when I say that. We (Tesla owners) know machines, programs don't have user comfort in mind when it comes to cars coming dangerously close to you while Autopilot is active or the car coming close to obstacles you 'think' are about to hit, but the readings show it won't and everything is fine- it's marvelous engineering and science work. I'm sure it has predicted accidents beforehand and helped prevent them as many videos show, but all it takes is ONE collision and who knows how much in repair costs for a driver to question, whether it's worth the risk.

Bye bye Autopark feature.

We contacted Tesla immediately. Took measurements, pictures, noted time of incident to the best of our knowledge. We don't have a dash cam, so all we had was the visible damage and the data collected by the car itself.

3 weeks later, Tesla gets back to us with 'Autopark worked as intended' and then pointed us to excerpts from their manual on how the driver has to always be ready to stop the car.

Here is their response:

"Reviewed the data from the time of incident, Autopark was working as expected. You may want to refer to the warnings listed in owner's manual: Warning: Many unforeseen circumstances can impair Autopark's ability to park Model S. Keep this in mind and remember that as a result, Autopark may not steer Model S appropriately. Pay attention when parking Model S and stay prepared to immediately take control. Warning: During the parking sequence, continually check your surroundings. Be prepared to apply the brakes to avoid vehicles, pedestrians, or objects.”"

Makes sense of course- until your car crashes into a column and all you can do is either suck it up and get it repaired and never use Autopark (a feature you pay for) until it's 100% functional or spend countless hours and money trying to find justice in other ways. We're afraid to find out repair costs. I guess since we can still drive it and charge it things aren't that bad right? Well do you want to drive around an $85k car with gash on the bumper and a busted tail light?

I am convinced that people are psycho about Tesla and will do everything they can to give them the benefit of the doubt and just plain assume that everything they do and make is sacred and flawless, while the driver is a complete idiot who basically didn't do it right.

I was a fanboy myself, but after this experience I'm more afraid of the Tesla Cult members than anything. It took a lot of courage to share this, but after the shoddy service and lame response I'm not sure about things with this car anymore and if people want to just blame me without knowing any facts then I'll know who to ignore.

IMG_2565.JPG

My wife and I just bought our ModelS 75D and we are/were diehard fans of Tesla. We used Autopark once and it seemed to work fine despite the car moving in and out of the spot multiple times to get it right (no assistance needed by the driver).

However, 3 weeks ago Autopark slammed the car into a concrete column in our parking garage. Absolutely no time to even react to stop it and I'm not exaggerating when I say that. We (Tesla owners) know machines, programs don't have user comfort in mind when it comes to cars coming dangerously close to you while Autopilot is active or the car coming close to obstacles you 'think' are about to hit, but the readings show it won't and everything is fine- it's marvelous engineering and science work. I'm sure it has predicted accidents beforehand and helped prevent them as many videos show, but all it takes is ONE collision and who knows how much in repair costs for a driver to question, whether it's worth the risk.

Bye bye Autopark feature.

We contacted Tesla immediately. Took measurements, pictures, noted time of incident to the best of our knowledge. We don't have a dash cam, so all we had was the visible damage and the data collected by the car itself.

3 weeks later, Tesla gets back to us with 'Autopark worked as intended' and then pointed us to excerpts from their manual on how the driver has to always be ready to stop the car.

Here is their response:

"Reviewed the data from the time of incident, Autopark was working as expected. You may want to refer to the warnings listed in owner's manual: Warning: Many unforeseen circumstances can impair Autopark's ability to park Model S. Keep this in mind and remember that as a result, Autopark may not steer Model S appropriately. Pay attention when parking Model S and stay prepared to immediately take control. Warning: During the parking sequence, continually check your surroundings. Be prepared to apply the brakes to avoid vehicles, pedestrians, or objects.”"

Makes sense of course- until your car crashes into a column and all you can do is either suck it up and get it repaired and never use Autopark (a feature you pay for) until it's 100% functional or spend countless hours and money trying to find justice in other ways. We're afraid to find out repair costs. I guess since we can still drive it and charge it things aren't that bad right? Well do you want to drive around an $85k car with gash on the bumper and a busted tail light?

I am convinced that people are psycho about Tesla and will do everything they can to give them the benefit of the doubt and just plain assume that everything they do and make is sacred and flawless, while the driver is a complete idiot who basically didn't do it right.

I was a fanboy myself, but after this experience I'm more afraid of the Tesla Cult members than anything. It took a lot of courage to share this, but after the shoddy service and lame response I'm not sure about things with this car anymore and if people want to just blame me without knowing any facts then I'll know who to ignore.

As I read your post I wasn't going to reply until I got to the last 2 paragraphs... Your passive aggressive swipe at the community was absolutely unnecessary and uncalled for. But, since you did, allow me to retort. For the 100 millionth time, YOU are responsible for the car at all times, without question or discussion. While I use the parallel parking feature constantly, I rarely use the perpendicular feature because it's slow and I can do it much faster... I would NEVER use it in a parking garage with so many obstacles and such that the car is notorious for not seeing... The ultra sonics can only do so much.

So while I'm not going to insult you, you didn't do it right... Tesla's response is 100% consistent with how they respond to these situations and it's a very reasonable one at that... I find it awfully difficult to believe that you didn't see the car heading towards a giant concrete column without any time to stop. What's far more likely is you lost track of the objects surrounding you. That happens to everyone at some point.

Autopark works outstandingly far more often than it doesn't, but when it doesn't, you need to be prepared to take control in an instant. If you can't do that, or won't do that, then don't use the feature... Specifically for me, as I said before, I almost never use the perpendicular feature because it's simply too slow for my tastes... Apparently it's not slow enough for some...

Jeff

It sucks, I totally get the frustration (I don't agree with your assessment, but I get your frustration).

This is what insurance is for. Pay your deductible and get it fixed.

I wonder if these events will always be the drivers responsibility when we move towards FSD being activated. If FSD is turned on to self park your car in a private garage in a few years without you in it and the car hits the pole or clips another car's bumper I wonder how that will play out insurance-wise.

Reactions: kevinf311
This is what insurance is for.
While I feel for the OP, if I were his insurance agent my reaction would be: "You turned over the job of parking to a machine which,
in a written statement of limitations I have right here in front of me, explicitly requires you to retain full control and responsibility, and
then you allowed this machine -- while you were right there -- to run your car, at very low (but relentless) speed, into a pillar. And you
want us to pay for it?"

While I feel for the OP, if I were his insurance agent my reaction would be: "You turned over the job of parking to a machine which,
in a written statement of limitations I have right here in front of me, explicitly requires you to retain full control and responsibility, and
then you allowed this machine -- while you were right there -- to run your car, at very low (but relentless) speed, into a pillar. And you
want us to pay for it?"
Umn... yes, again, that's what insurance is for.

I could take my car and accidentally drive it into a brick wall because I wasn't paying attention, and my insurance should pay for it.

This is no different. The car is not autonomous. The driver did not turn over the job, he's still responsible. Self parking has been around for years.

• Disagree
Reactions: kort677