Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Catches Hit in Parking Lot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not sure how my insurance company would identify her with just a plate number? Seems like something the police have to do. They took my report very seriously, so I’m hopeful.
I'm also hopeful.

There are many allowed uses for license plate lookup. It varies a bit by state, but insurance companies likely have access.

I was just thinking. I back in. This wouldn't have helped me.

I hate that this happened to you but LOVE that this is happening. My hope is that news will spread among the general population to be really careful around Teslas b/c they record you. Imagine one day walking out to a packed parking lot and finding every space around your Tesla empty! Also, as someone mentioned, after years of data this may lead to lower insurance rates for Teslas.

I really need to look into how to capture the video from Sentry mode. I activate it almost every time I park in a public lot but have never even tried to capture the video. Also, if it stops recording when the flash is full, there must be a way to purge old videos to enable more recording. Hopefully Tesla will enable a quick “purge the sentry flash” icon on the app to make that easy cheesy.

I say post it on Twitter and thank elonmusk and tesla in hopes that he replies or retweets to his 23M followers. While having the evidence is fantastic, the real win here is the potential for avoidance when the word gets out to the general public and everyone is just a little bit more cautious around Tesla's!

You probably want to pixalate her face (and her child's face) and the licence plate before tweeting that to Elon. ;)

You probably want to pixalate her face (and her child's face) and the licence plate before tweeting that to Elon. ;)

There is no expectation of privacy in a public place, so I don’t see any reason to waste my time blurring details of the video. If she didn’t want to be on the Internet, she should have left me a note and taken responsibility.

The odds of Tesla or Elon paying attention to something I tweet at him are infinitesimal, so I probably won’t bother.

There is no expectation of privacy in a public place, so I don’t see any reason to waste my time blurring details of the video. If she didn’t want to be on the Internet, she should have left me a note and taken responsibility.

There was another similar thread here recently. IIRC, the person who recorded the video was advised by the police and/or insurance company to not post the video publicly at all, or at least to pixellate identifying information like faces and license plates, for various plausible-sounding reasons. These included (from memory) the risk of extra-legal retaliation or harassment; the risk of a lawsuit (even if the plaintiff were to lose badly in court, being on the receiving end of a lawsuit would not be fun); and complications in getting the claim for damages for the current incident resolved.

IMHO, public shaming on a national forum (even one with limited appeal, like this one) for something that barely qualifies as a fender-bender is a bit dubious. Peoples' lives have been ruined when things like this have gone viral. Yes, the driver in this case didn't do the right thing. If the video were to be Tweeted publicly and go viral, though, she could conceivably suffer serious consequences, like losing her job. That might be OK if her job were as a valet or taxi driver, but not for most people. Worse, as noted earlier, there's a child involved who was blameless, and exposing the kid to this sort of thing is not cool. I understand the desire to extract a pound of flesh for damage done to a valuable asset, especially when the person doing the damage seems not to care; but the Internet can randomly amplify messages that spark outrage beyond the realm of reason. Thinking a bit before unleashing that beast is worthwhile.

The Ct Auto Retailers Association (CARA) won't be happy about this. Emboldens them to continue their Tesla sales ban crusade. Proof that Sentry Mode is likely a devious plot to make fools of their customers.

There was a real chance this year that CT would allow Tesla sales. Then Tesla said they’re moving all sales online and the CT legislators threw up their hands and said forget it. Really stinks.

There was another similar thread here recently. IIRC, the person who recorded the video was advised by the police and/or insurance company to not post the video publicly at all, or at least to pixellate identifying information like faces and license plates, for various plausible-sounding reasons. These included (from memory) the risk of extra-legal retaliation or harassment; the risk of a lawsuit (even if the plaintiff were to lose badly in court, being on the receiving end of a lawsuit would not be fun); and complications in getting the claim for damages for the current incident resolved.

IMHO, public shaming on a national forum (even one with limited appeal, like this one) for something that barely qualifies as a fender-bender is a bit dubious. Peoples' lives have been ruined when things like this have gone viral. Yes, the driver in this case didn't do the right thing. If the video were to be Tweeted publicly and go viral, though, she could conceivably suffer serious consequences, like losing her job. That might be OK if her job were as a valet or taxi driver, but not for most people. Worse, as noted earlier, there's a child involved who was blameless, and exposing the kid to this sort of thing is not cool. I understand the desire to extract a pound of flesh for damage done to a valuable asset, especially when the person doing the damage seems not to care; but the Internet can randomly amplify messages that spark outrage beyond the realm of reason. Thinking a bit before unleashing that beast is worthwhile.

Nothing will ever change if we can’t share pics/videos of people committing crimes in public. Destruction of property is a crime, and this woman did it in a public place. I’m not sharing her name or any private details about her. I’m just sharing what anyone else in that public place would have seen. I feel that’s reasonable and within my rights.

Nothing will ever change if we can’t share pics/videos of people committing crimes in public. Destruction of property is a crime, and this woman did it in a public place. I’m not sharing her name or any private details about her. I’m just sharing what anyone else in that public place would have seen. I feel that’s reasonable and within my rights.

Just because you have a right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do. In this case, there are laws related to this sort of thing, and you have proof of the infraction, so you can get redress. Publicizing it won't help you personally, and could hurt you. You can argue that publicizing it will create an environment in which people will think twice before repeating this woman's mistake, and there is validity to that argument; but that's really what the laws are for. People already know that they should leave a note in this sort of situation, but some people don't do it for whatever reason. Public shaming, particularly on a national level for minor local infractions, will create a risk of outsized harm to the perpetrator, and contributes to a social environment in which people are punished by society, if not the law, for relatively minor infractions.

Tweet it to Elon. It’s time we start expecting more from each other and stop coddling the lazy and inept.

Reactions: VQTRVA and FlyErik
The odds of Tesla or Elon paying attention to something I tweet at him are infinitesimal, so I probably won’t bother.

Elon responded to a tweet about the video showing someone keying a Tesla...

What I wonder is will people having, and using, Sentry mode end up in a decrease in insurance rates for Teslas? (Since there should be fewer cases of having to cover hit-and-run parking lot and vandalism incidents.)