Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode for AP2.0 released!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
None of this excuses a blatant lie to customers. Spin it all you want.
I don’t know what lie you are referring to. I am not talking about FSD, just sentry mode. The notes never said it records to USB drive did it? It just says record, it never said to a place where you can easily retrieve it (but maybe Tesla has a way). That level of ambiguity may be necessary for the deterrent to function for AP2.0 sentry.

Guys give it a break. Even if sentry mode for AP2.0 doesn’t actually send the image anywhere today, it is still a plus. It lets us blend in with AP2.5 cars (majority of cars with sentry mode) with real sentry mode and enjoy the same deterrent effect. Same reason people put dummy security cameras up. We didn’t expect or was promised this when we buy the car, so it is a bonus. I am not complaining with a AP2.0 MCU1 S100D

Agreed. Tesla just needs to be better about having accurate release notes.

I don’t know what lie you are referring to. I am not talking about FSD, just sentry mode. The notes never said it records to USB drive did it? It just says record, it never said to a place where you can easily retrieve it (but maybe Tesla has a way). That level of ambiguity may be necessary for the deterrent to function for AP2.0 sentry.
Does recording to /dev/null count?

It records to nowhere. The release notes say clips are uploaded to the “Tesla cloud”, which is a complete and total fabrication. That is not “ambiguity”, that’s a lie.

How do you know the clips are not being uploaded? A honest question.

There was a thread a while back where a member with root access to his car confirmed as much. I have no reason to doubt the veracity of his claims. I think it would be relatively easy to prove the concept doing nothing more than watching uploads over wifi after triggering some events.

There was a thread a while back where a member with root access to his car confirmed as much. I have no reason to doubt the veracity of his claims. I think it would be relatively easy to prove the concept doing nothing more than watching uploads over wifi after triggering some events.

I've done it events triggering and no uploads sufficient for video even when compressed.

Reactions: Jan Fiala
I've done it events triggering and no uploads sufficient for video even when compressed.

Pre-response to the inevitable “maybe they’re doing it over cellular” retort:

We’re talking about a company that is currently requiring the CFO to personally sign off on every single page of outgoing expenses. I’m thinking terabytes per day of additional mobile data consumption isn’t consistent with current company priorities.

For the past several days, I've had auto high beams and Autopilot not working on my 2.5 2018 Model S P100D. Also TeslaCam has been writing 595-byte files and nothing else.

Reboots with 2 dials (with and without holding brake) didn't do anything.

Today, I have an update on the situation: Couldn't reach 3 service centers for days by phone. Mobile did call me back. Told to keep scheduled appointment but they'd push 2019.16.3 firmware.

The firmware update fixed TeslaCam, auto high beams, and Autopilot issues, probably because the car fully rebooted. Wonder how long till it happens again.

For the past several days, I've had auto high beams and Autopilot not working on my 2.5 2018 Model S P100D. Also TeslaCam has been writing 595-byte files and nothing else.

Reboots with 2 dials (with and without holding brake) didn't do anything.

Today, I have an update on the situation: Couldn't reach 3 service centers for days by phone. Mobile did call me back. Told to keep scheduled appointment but they'd push 2019.16.3 firmware.

The firmware update fixed TeslaCam, auto high beams, and Autopilot issues, probably because the car fully rebooted. Wonder how long till it happens again.

Anytime I get a new update I do a short (around the block) drive (usually to check out what they said changed), then a 'four touch reboot' followed by another short drive and a 'full' reboot. For the last 4 updates I have done this, I have not seen any odd behavior. Before this 'process' of mine, I too would have random weird things happen (which, when I called the Tesla help line, they would walk me through one or more of the reboot options).

While a full reboot should happen after the software update, and a 4-touch reboot should do nothing different/more than what happens with a full reboot, I have become superstitious and continue to do this with fingers crossed :eek:

As they say, YMMV...

Dashcam works with MCU1 and AP2.5 now. The MCU is not the problem.

If you get HW3 you will still be left with a camera difference but that could probably be overcome without actually changing the cameras.
Again, I hope you are correct and when the new FSD chip is installed into my HW 2.0 car, the dashcam and sentry mode recording will start to work (even if the camera is inferior). FSD of course is a bigger deal. I don't think anyone knows for certain about what functionality is likely for HW 2.0 cars after the new chip is installed.

Reactions: Art VandeIay