Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“Sentry Mode must be enabled each time a driver wants to use the feature..”
Sounds like, we will need to reenable each time to activate it as it would default back to an off status.

Hope it doesn’t drain too much battery; example leaving the car at the airport for a few days with it being on.
Hope app will have the option to turn off/ on as well.

Another wish is the ability to view the cameras remotely. Likely won’t happen due to bandwidth/ cost to Tesla.

Still happy getting it for free.
We've found a 10 miles of range drain overnight. And you can arm the car from your app (under Controls).

• Informative
Reactions: ebmcs03
Still waiting for my update, but it occurs to me that a command line script (best, e.g. ffmpeg) or micro-utility (okay) that would paste together the snippets timewise, and all three into a single wide format video, would be handy. Bonus points for chyroning any metadata (even if it's just times synced from the filename and framerate.

I'm working on this, using ffmpeg and a Powershell script. Since I don't yet have the update, if someone has a small set of sample front-left-right files they're willing to share for dev/test, please PM me.

So parking at work today with front of the car facing the parking lot road, I got 10 incidents in about 10 hours. I lost 11 miles while parked. My 16 GB USB Drive (actual usable 14.2 GB) was over 11 GB full. The recentClips folder contains 177 of 1 minute files (front, left, right). I think it is supposed to be 180 (3 x 60 min) but somehow 1 min (3 files) are missing. The savedClips folder contains 10 folders (10 incidents). Total size is 6GB. It is not 10GB because some of those incidents happened within 10 min of each others so some incidents have less files. All of them were people walk past the front of my car. The last incident was me coming back to the car (on the left camera). So if you activated Sentry Mode, you are going to have at least 1 incident saved (about 1 GB) of yourself coming back to the car. Unless you disable Sentry Mode on the phone first.

When it detects an incident (someone walked within 2 feet of your front or side), It saved that min of video and the previous 10 minutes. The incident usually occurs in the newest full 1 min files (set of 3) within the incident folder.

So today, I parked at work with the front of the car facing the front of another car. I got 0 incident on the flash drive. I also disable Sentry Mode remotely before I got back to the car after work. So It is working pretty good, just have to make sure the front of the car is not facing high traffic area. Or if you park on the side of the street... the passenger side cannot have lots of foot traffic.

BTW, I used my OTG adapter that came with my Pixel 3 XL phone today and I was able to watch the clips on my phone and delete the folder after.

Incidents are saved until you delete them...

This is both good and bad - sentry mode in a busy parking lot will fill up a drive so quickly. From some reports, about 1gb EACH event since its writing the past 10 minutes from all 3 cameras onto the drive

If you plan on using sentry mode - do NOT get anything under 128gb. Amazon has a 400gb microsd right now for $62, might try that for TeslaCam even though I don't consider Sandisk high quality and a lot of teslacam corruption seems to happen with sandisk usb drives that Ive seen

I still don't have Sentry Mode update for my Model 3, LR RWD. I checked my app in the Play Store and it's fully updated, with last update 2/21. Would the app still show an update was due to the car if the car was having a difficult time installing due to crappy WiFi? It seem like my car is the last to get updates. I'm on version 2018.50.6 4ec03ed.

I still don't have Sentry Mode update for my Model 3, LR RWD. I checked my app in the Play Store and it's fully updated, with last update 2/21. Would the app still show an update was due to the car if the car was having a difficult time installing due to crappy WiFi? It seem like my car is the last to get updates. I'm on version 2018.50.6 4ec03ed.

I doubt even 10% of people have the new update. It could be that Tesla is rolling it out slowly, will make some improvements based on customer feedback (false activations of Sentry Mode spring to mind) and then most customers will ultimately receive a later release with the feature in a more polished state.