Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seriously considering S -> 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supercharging is super cheap compared to gasoline, so I wouldn't factor that into the S vs 3.

Reports say the 3 drives very similar to the S, so you still get the full Tesla EV experience driving a 3. Plus autopilot is available on the 3 as well. So it basically boils down to do you need luxury and a lot of interior space. If the car is just a daily commuter car, then nope. Go for the 3, save some money. If you like bells and whistles, go for the S.

Supercharging is super cheap compared to gasoline, so I wouldn't factor that into the S vs 3.

Reports say the 3 drives very similar to the S, so you still get the full Tesla EV experience driving a 3. Plus autopilot is available on the 3 as well. So it basically boils down to do you need luxury and a lot of interior space. If the car is just a daily commuter car, then nope. Go for the 3, save some money. If you like bells and whistles, go for the S.

He wont save money, he will lose money. Your advice only applies to someone buying a new Tesla. The question is does it make sense to take the depreciation hit and get the 3 for better range and a smaller/simpler car but lose out on some of the other aspects. Interestingly this thread is bringing out some other comparison factors that aren't usually discussed or reviewed like road noise, charge efficiency, DU variations etc.

Reactions: Ken7
I see it from a different angle. Luxury and technology.

If you are seeking space and more traditional luxury interior. Model S.

If you are techie, who only cares about latest technology and especially those in battery, motor and other build aspect of the car. Model 3.

3 is undeniable most advanced car Tesla is making today.

IMG_4081.jpg
If you are techie, who only cares about latest technology and especially those in battery, motor and other build aspect of the car. Model 3.

As a techie I miss the 2 displays. And does Model 3 really have the trip graph? If it has then it cannot display it together with navigation/map anyway. I should test Model 3 (I guess it is not yet available to test in Europe) but I do not think I will be able to give up on the 2 displays.

Uhhh, that's a thousand a week, not a couple thousand a week. That I can believe. And why, I wonder, are you needing the full number of miles pumped into the battery when you know that's where the degradation lies, and you don't really need it since you don't have to have it. I know that even in WA there are enough superchargers to get around. And leaving it at 100% for only "a few hours" several times a month....

Oh. I get it. You bought the small battery, right?

Oops, guess a person shouldn't do math when they're really tired! our particular use structure does mean we need the Charge to be near a hundred percent when we start. In my signature you'll see that it's an 85. Which is why we still get around 260 when we charge all the way.

As to dendrite formation, this happens mostly at full charge when sitting for quite some time. I've been meanng to write up and article on this. Maybe I should do it. So, short of it is, a hundred percent charge is not so much a problem as long as you don't leave it sitting there. Leaving it sitting at a hundred percent is almost the worst thing you can do for your battery. Short of running it all the way dead, of course, and leaving it there.

I see it from a different angle. Luxury and technology.

If you are seeking space and more traditional luxury interior. Model S.

3 is undeniable most advanced car Tesla is making today.
I’d have to disagree. But maybe I’m missing specifics of what makes the model 3 more “advanced”? That’s not how I felt after driving both. The battery maybe. But not the motor as we discussed earlier. The motor was chosen primarily because it was cheaper.

He wont save money, he will lose money. Your advice only applies to someone buying a new Tesla. The question is does it make sense to take the depreciation hit and get the 3 for better range and a smaller/simpler car but lose out on some of the other aspects. Interestingly this thread is bringing out some other comparison factors that aren't usually discussed or reviewed like road noise, charge efficiency, DU variations etc.

never mind I thought he was buying an S versus a 3. didn't see he already had an S.

As someone who has been ping-ponging back and forth between our S85D and 3LR almost daily for five months ...

My initial feeling was 3, all the way.

It's now much more 50-50, or even leaning slightly S ... until one compares price. The fair comparison will be 3LRD at $60-65K loaded and an S100D at $110-115K loaded. (Each will be at roughly 340 EPA range test miles). Consider cost, and it becomes a little tougher to justify the S.

Only justifications I've come up with:

The fun factor of having one of each does go way up. Each day, one looks forward to the fun of driving a new car. (One needs to have a like-minded spouse for this. In my case, it was actually her idea.)

It is useful to have one vehicle with massive road trip capabilities. Our S has swallowed furniture, assorted recreational equipment, and several small northeastern states.

So, why leaning now 55-45 in favor of the S, though? Mainly the display(s). The dash display is the least of it. Nice, perhaps. But the speed is easily blocked by the wheel. And, the new nav is nice ... but nicer when shown on the M3's center display.

No, the problem is with the center display itself. Super nice. Super sharp. But small. And landscape (in order to optimize phone charging, I guess). I've realized that I prefer the larger portrait map display on my S, even though it's the less-sharp-and-vibrant MCU 1 version. A portrait version of the M3 display would have been a home run. Something I'd use far more often than front-and-center phone charging.

More importantly, the 3's display is not canted towards the driver. And, the map is shoved towards the harder-to-view far side, all in order to leave plenty of room for ... um ... a giant empty white space ... which contains an Autopilot car display which only rarely shows much info of real use and interest. (Suggestion: Slide the map all the way left. Leave the speedo where it is, against a blurred-out map corner, joined by other useful info ... including time and temp, which are currently off in the northeast Siberia corner of the display. And, put the toy-car display, narrowed, on the far side. It's big enough that all key info would still be visible.)

Beyond that, the S does have modest, yet meaningful edges of looks and road noise, with a more modest edge in ride smoothness.

If a fully-optioned were $90-$95K ... and not approaching a probable significant refresh, it would be an easy call to upgrade 85D to 100D, to enjoy alongside our 3LR (which we'll probably upgrade to D).

As it is, our choice is 3LR + 3LRD vs. 3LRD + S85D. Leaning towards the second, but it seems a bit silly to keep a "great road trip car" that has significantly shorter range, earlier Supercharger taper, and slower per-mile Supercharging.

I'm in a similar situation. I started leasing my Model S 100D in December 2017 for a 4 year period in Switzerland (with an amazing 0.75% interest rate). A friend wanted a Model 3, so I placed a pre-order on my account (2019 delivery because I'm an existing Tesla owner). He later decided that the wait was too long, got another car now, so I have this reservation on my account tempting me. The Model S is an amazing car, but there are times where I wish it was smaller, especially in Europe.

So I started looking into the cost of ending the lease early so I can jump into a Model 3. All numbers are in Swiss Franks, but 1 CHF = 1 USD and exclude interest rates for simplicity. The total price of my build is 122,740 CHF. The residual value after 4 years and 80,000km is 48,700 CHF, so the depreciation is 74,040 CHF. However, the residual value after 3 years (shortest lease period) and 60,000km is 52,353 CHF. The depreciation is 70,387, only 3,653 CHF more!

Since depreciation is split into 48 equal instalments, restructuring the lease to 3 years would probably cause the Model S to cost me 1,955 CHF per month instead of the current 1,542 CHF. I would probably have to pay at least 14,857 CHF to the leasing company in cash. Assuming I can't resell the car for significantly more money on the second-hand market.

So I'll keep driving my amazing 100D for the 4th year for only ~3,600 CHF :)