Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's come up before, and looks like it just is the Setec adapter, repackaged? In fact, you can see the Setec logo molded into the plastic on the circular "boss" in the main image...
Suspect that they purchased them from Setec to distribute before Setec dropped the price. Setec customer support has been amazing, especially for a product shipped from China. Do hope that this is not a 'fire sale' to clear out inventory and drop the product. Also wondering if they are trying to position themselves as a provider to Tesla

I received the Setec CCS -> Tesla adapter yesterday, and started testing it at Electrify America (Volkswagon) and EVGo chargers.

Just to let everyone know, I also have the Tesla CHAdeMo adapter as well, and have used it successfully. I do have home 240V 40A charger at home and that's my primary charging method. The way I view this charger (and the Tesla CHAd), is that not having these adapters feels like owning a DIESEL car. Can't pull into every single fuel station out there. Most stations have Diesel, especially the ones along the interstates, but many do not, and Murphy's law dictates that all those are from where you live. If you have (especially the CCS) adapters, you can pull into any EV DC charging station, and use it.

So I updated the version to v141. I did NOT update to the experimental v149 for fear of bricking the car.

First stop was EVGo, and it was rated at 50kW. pushed the button on the adapter, connected the adapter to the station, then adapter to the car. then paid, and it was off without a hitch. 41kW at first, and rose to 49kW. stayed there for 15 minutes. All good!

Next stop was EA(V). and that was rated at 150kW. However, I was pretty sure I was only going to get 50kW max-> and I certainly did. It ran to 50kW and stayed there for the rest of the time.....until I reached 80% and that's when I left.

So all good! I'll be continuing to try out more lesser-known brands out here when I come across them, but I don't foresee any issues.

But I will say I disagree with almost everyone else here, in that I don't want Tesla to make a CCS adapter. Hell, I actually want the prices on these adapters to be $1,000 or more!

Why?

Because as bad as the long lines at Superchargers can get, I certainly don't want long lines of Teslas at the EA(V) or EVGo chargers too! At those chargers, there'll be a few Bolts, Long range Leaf's, maybe a Niro or TAYCAN, but hardly any Teslas. I'll be honest, I don't mind other Tesla owners, (really) but only so much as not having to wait behind them to charge my car! So yeah, for all those who think it's overpriced, well, yes, it sure is! Not worth it. Wait for Tesla to make one. And....... don't buy it until the price drops to $99.00 or so.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I also hope no one buys this adapter. ;) I’m at an empty Electrify America station, while every supercharger around me has a line.
9C91A877-A4F6-4654-AB4A-1FB3E2CC1719.jpeg

I received the Setec CCS -> Tesla adapter yesterday, and started testing it at Electrify America (Volkswagon) and EVGo chargers.

I am down here in the San Diego area and have not had luck with the EVgo chargers. I see you are in the LA area. Can you tell me where you charged successfully with the EVgo? I would like to compare to the ones in my area.
I am not sure why, but I can't find a way to Direct Message. Am I missing something..
Loopie

Fwiw I’ve been on 1.41 since mine arrived and so far had success at multiple EA and EVGo locations. No failures yet, but I’m using pretty popular providers so likely best case scenario for working properly.
I've been using v1.41 and v1.49. Same results for both firmware. EA all work, EVgo all fail. I've been taking pictures of the manufacturing plate on all the stations and sending them and the capture logs to Setec.
It looks as the charger starts the operation, my M3 starts showing charging happening, then charging stops after two seconds. It looks like the report back to the charging station from the car is not happening properly, or on time, and the charging station stops. Usually, the car reports back on how full, and current it wants. I've seen many other cars work at these stations, so it looks to be a CCS adapter issue.
I'm looking out to try some EVgo stations that have worked for people and comparing the logs.

I've been using v1.41 and v1.49. Same results for both firmware. EA all work, EVgo all fail. I've been taking pictures of the manufacturing plate on all the stations and sending them and the capture logs to Setec.
It looks as the charger starts the operation, my M3 starts showing charging happening, then charging stops after two seconds. It looks like the report back to the charging station from the car is not happening properly, or on time, and the charging station stops. Usually, the car reports back on how full, and current it wants. I've seen many other cars work at these stations, so it looks to be a CCS adapter issue.
I'm looking out to try some EVgo stations that have worked for people and comparing the logs.
That would be good data to compare. i’m wondering if the EVGo cabinets down south are different than the ones here.

For the Greenlots station I tried, the CCS adapter kept blinking, the car said *ready to charge*. The cabinet said *initiating* and a few seconds later stated *failed to initiate, unplug and try again*. Tried a few times at that cabinet, then again at another cabinet, and same message.

I ordered mine directly from Setec during the preorder (November). For a while it was only available on Alibaba. Now appears to be link on the webpage for direct paypal purchase (which is the way I bought). Their shipping was relatively quick (considering it came from China)
Thanks I’ve been on the site and I can’t find a link to purchase it on the Setec site. I’m nervous to buy it in Alibaba but it’s only 660 there.