Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Enjoying my free charger!!! New Castle DE

A71FCE42-D2D7-43F9-AED5-D01D557A8537.jpeg

Those Stafford, VA units are Signet from all appearances. The reason why I'm mentioning the vendors is because EA uses 4 different vendors: BTC Power, ABB, Signet and Efacec. They all look different and have labels to indicate their supplier. If Plugshare entry doesn't have a pic of the label(s), adding them can help.

I've personally charged my Bolt (which has CCS) using EA chargers from 3 of 4 of those vendors and for all of those vendors, multiple sites.

I've never personally seen EA Efacec but Is my battery defective (or am I)? Level 3 Charging... is an example report where EA ripped those out and replaced them w/another vendor. That person at More frustration with Electrify America mentioned EA's Efacec chargers are extremely unreliable.

I made a rant/point at Tesla CHAdeMO adapter about people conflating all sorts of problems when some of them are user error, non-CCS related problems (e.g. credit card reader probs), besides not checking Plugshare first. To top it off, the firmware on the Setec adapter is a moving target, as is the software across 4 different models of Teslas, built at different times w/who knows what other hardware differences to boot. This is coupled w/an adapter that hasn't undergone much testing by the adapter maker (esp. on DC FCs deployed in the US), automaker (likely near 0) nor the provider (e.g. EA's lab mentioned at Electrify America Talks Charging Network Problems, Has Solutions).

Also, besides the above acknowledging CC reader problems, I probably skimmed or didn't read Interview: Electrify America expects you to raise hell if chargers don’t work from Nov 2019 but this quote stood out to me that I wasn't aware of and is yet another read to use their app (or better yet, charge during free juice time when app nor CC are needed :)).
One of the biggest problems is faulty credit-card readers. Not only do many of Electrify America’s stations have connectivity problems, but even when a connection is made, a charging session can be dropped halfway through. That’s because the financial session is open until a final payment amount is determined. The connection gets lost in the middle, causing the driver to start all over again. Using the Electrify America app solves the problem.

Last edited:
Thanks. That helped me find it again... (evhub.shop). Let me see if I can find anyone trying it.
I bought one and it arrived Thursday. It doesn’t work without rather difficult modifications. They appear to just tie PP to PE with a resistor, and the car is not cool with this fakeout, at least in the newest ECU. They don’t pass through the PP pin, so I added it with a very invasive mod and got it to work.

My recommendation is: Don’t buy this. If you absolutely must have ccs before the Tesla adapter ships, or your car is older, buy the setec and deal with it being 50kW.

I bought one and it arrived Thursday. It doesn’t work without rather difficult modifications. They appear to just tie PP to PE with a resistor, and the car is not cool with this fakeout, at least in the newest ECU. They don’t pass through the PP pin, so I added it with a very invasive mod and got it to work.

My recommendation is: Don’t buy this. If you absolutely must have ccs before the Tesla adapter ships, or your car is older, buy the setec and deal with it being 50kW.
What kind of speed do you see?

Or get the CHAdeMO adapter. It has the obvious downsides of (sometimes) being expensive, no faster than 125 Amps, and dependent on CHAdeMO chargers but it is reliable and safe.

Or get the CHAdeMO adapter. It has the obvious downsides of (sometimes) being expensive, no faster than 125 Amps, and dependent on CHAdeMO chargers but it is reliable and safe.
You do you.

I have the chademo adapter, and while the adapter itself may be reliable, my experience has been that the stations are not. I’ll gladly sell my chademo adapter soon, as it has been of limited use.

Hi. I wasn’t able to change using adapter this evening due the button on the adapter not lighting up and not activating the latch in the Tesla charge port to lock. Did anyone experienced this behavior before?

Until yesterday was able to charged 7 times in the last three days.

Thanks.

Hi. I wasn’t able to change using adapter this evening due the button on the adapter not lighting up and not activating the latch in the Tesla charge port to lock. Did anyone experienced this behavior before?

Until yesterday was able to charged 7 times in the last three days.
Is it possible that the battery in the adapter is dead and needs charged? (Or maybe it is too cold to provide enough power?)

Reactions: wildguess
Is it possible that the battery in the adapter is dead and needs charged? (Or maybe it is too cold to provide enough power?)
I’ll charge overnight and try again tomorrow. Sometime ago I asked here about the need to keep it charged using the USB port when the adapter has been in use regularly and the answer that was necessary.

Maybe I drained the battery because I used 7 times the last three days.

Thanks again for tip.

Reactions: wildguess