Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
. If you don't have a house or live in an apartment complex with your own charger, having the CCS adapter is going to make life a lot easier

Exactly my situation in Australia, where I've probably used third party CCS2 chargers (no adapter needed of course) more than Tesla Superchargers as they are closer and more convenient to my usual trips (and in some cases slightly cheaper)

On the flipside most of our public AC chargers are BYO cable (like this EO Universal EV Charging Station | 22 kW | Fast Charger - EVSE Australia) so we need to lug around a Type2-2 cable

Reactions: wildguess and LBM4
So what does everyone plan on doing with their setec adapters now that the Tesla adapter is here (almost)?
Keeping it. So long as they keep it working. Plus, they’ve already stated initially they will not support MS, and I suspect older cars like mine will require a hardware change (just like MS in Europe) to make it work. Still pissed though that Tesla slowed down the charge rate and played the let’s try to lock them out game

Yeah, they could probably make it a dumb pass-through adapter.
Probably not. Their adapter is only rates to what 200A? And the Tesla adapter is rated to 300A. So they would have to intercept the CCS communications to let the car know that the maximum current available is 200A regardless of what the CCS charger could actually provide. So they would have to re-program it as a CCS to CCS adapter. (That might be very simple, but I don't know.)

Reactions: kayak1 and Big Earl
They could, but likely won't as they likely wouldn't make any money. Are there any third party J1772 adapters sold that are cheaper than Tesla sells them for?
Yes, Lectron sells one for $83, vs. $95 for Tesla's adapter. That's not a huge difference, and I suspect that Lectron developed their clone simply because Tesla's is (or was, at one time; I haven't checked lately, except to find the link just now) out of stock so often that Lectron had a semi-captive customer base -- anybody who couldn't get Tesla's adapter and did a Web search would find Lectron's clone. The same thing could happen with the CCS1 adapter.

Reactions: kayak1 and Rocky_H
Yes, Lectron sells one for $83, vs. $95 for Tesla's adapter. That's not a huge difference, and I suspect that Lectron developed their clone simply because Tesla's is (or was, at one time; I haven't checked lately, except to find the link just now) out of stock so often that Lectron had a semi-captive customer base -- anybody who couldn't get Tesla's adapter and did a Web search would find Lectron's clone. The same thing could happen with the CCS1 adapter.
Interesting that their J1772 is limited to 60A. So if you use it with an older vehicle on a maximum capacity charger, 80A, you could get into trouble. Hopefully they wouldn't do something like that with a clone CCS adapter. (And that $83 is a sale price, their normal price is $100.)

• Informative
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Probably not. Their adapter is only rates to what 200A? And the Tesla adapter is rated to 300A. So they would have to intercept the CCS communications to let the car know that the maximum current available is 200A regardless of what the CCS charger could actually provide. So they would have to re-program it as a CCS to CCS adapter. (That might be very simple, but I don't know.)
I'm not sure that reprogramming the Setec adapter would even be possible.
the Tesla side uses CAN bus protocol/signaling, while the CCS side uses PLC protocol/signaling. If I was to guess, I would imagine that the transceiver on the Tesla side won't be able to handle the actual electrical PLC signal.

But if one was crazy enough, you can probably open the Setec adapter up, remove the electronics, and just wire the low voltage pilot signaling contact straight through from the Tesla side to the CCS side to make it a very bulky pass through adapter. But that can be risky if the DC charging conductors in the Setec can't handle the 300A that the real Tesla adapter can handle (the Setec is rated at 200A, but that may be due to limitations of the circuit board/monitoring rather than the conductors).

None, this is the status online:

Order #DQDFP87K8M​

19/10/2021

1 item

₩299,200.00

Shipping to 6739 Butte Place​

Unable to check delivery status
  • 1656565-10-A_1.jpg

CCS Combo 1 Adapter
    does not exist
    Quantity 1
    ₩299,200.00

Reactions: cwerdna and kayak1
Looks like the official adapter might also be limited to 70kW:

There isn't enough information to be able to determine that.
  • What Model 3 did they have? (Was it an SR? That will charge slower than an LR because of lower battery voltage.)
  • Was the CCS charger the limiting factor? (What is the amp limit on the CCS charger that was being used?)
  • Was the battery fully heated and prepared to charge?

It is likely used to lock the CCS cable to the adapter when the adapter is inserted into the car. (The nib is pushed in when it contacts the car.)
The pin definitely locks the charge cable to the adapter when the adapter is inserted into the car, protecting a user from arc flash in the event that they attempt to unplug the charge cord while the vehicle is still charging. The SETEC adapter has no such locking provision, resulting in a very dangerous arc flash risk.

The pin definitely locks the charge cable to the adapter when the adapter is inserted into the car, protecting a user from arc flash in the event that they attempt to unplug the charge cord while the vehicle is still charging. The SETEC adapter has no such locking provision, resulting in a very dangerous arc flash risk.
The real question, is it totally passive or is there any circuitry. (I willing to bet it is not passive). If not passive, it may be possible for Setec to reverse engineer (as they did the chademo adapter) and develop emulation for this.

Reactions: ager01