Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something I'm also noticing about all these EVGo's and EA's whenever (if ever) Tesla should release their CCS1 charging adapter. And another "if" it can reach upwards of 150kW max charging speed:

Not all these DCFC's can push more than 50kW. Most of the ones I've charged at during my testing happen to be older 5+ year old models, and max out at 50kW which sucks, but it is what it is!

• Informative
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Something I'm also noticing about all these EVGo's and EA's whenever (if ever) Tesla should release their CCS1 charging adapter. And another "if" it can reach upwards of 150kW max charging speed:

Not all these DCFC's can push more than 50kW. Most of the ones I've charged at during my testing happen to be older 5+ year old models, and max out at 50kW which sucks, but it is what it is!
If you are asking "if/when Tesla makes the adapter, can it reach upwards of 150 kW charging speed" then technically it is possible with some chargers.

I'll take my "classic" 2018 Model 3 LR as an example here as I know its charging curve.
The classic Model 3 has a 400V battery so will charge at 400V. Power (kW) is calculated by voltage*current, so the current is going to be the rate of charge.
(note that at lower state of charges the battery voltage is slightly lower - Superchargers will bump the current higher to accommodate the lower voltage - but CCS/CHAdeMO chargers have an upper current limit so that is why CHAdeMO/Setec CCS charges slightly slower at lower state of charge unlike Superchargers which charge faster at lower SoC)
The 350 kW charging stations can go up to 1000V with cars that have 800V+ batteries. To get this rate you need an 800V battery, which does not apply to current generation Teslas.
But what a Model 3 CAN go to is 400V, so the charging power is 400V * the max output current.
Take a BTCPower nameplate
BTC.png

On the Output specs, it can go to 1000V DC, but the Model 3 will only ask for 400VDC max.
The charger output can go up to 350A.
400V (requested by Model 3) * 350A = 140,000W or 140 kW,
That is the maximum this charger can go using a Model 3.

Then pull up a Signet nameplate from a few posts above.
Output Power: 200-920 VDC, MAX 500A
400V (requested by Model 3) * 500A = 200,000W or 200 kW.
This is the maximum this charger can theoretically obtain.
The installers however can set an upper charging limit. Likely the installer would have set this to "150 kW" to match the front rating, so it will then be soft limited to 150 kW even though the charger is capable of 200 kW.

Then there of course is the limit on the car and adapter. Tesla if they do release the adapter domestically may have a limit by physical limits of the adapter on how much current the conductors in the adapter can safely take, so they may also restrict the current or power in the Tesla's charging electronics, so it may be limited to lower than the above theoretical limits.

Also note that different models of Tesla may have different battery voltages, with "classic" Model S and X being lower than 400V and hence a lower maximum power given the same charging current. Their charging limit will be (battery voltage)*(charging current).

Last edited:
The BTC dispenser labels shown above don't tell the whole story. That dispenser could be connected to a charger cabinet that has different limitations. For example, BTC makes a charger cabinet that is limited to 200kW. That is less than the 1000V * 350A capability of the dispenser.

Reactions: Jeff N
I Checked the tags, some look capable of more than 50kW, but the one below, Veefil, looks to max at 48kW.

It doesn’t show amps like the tags above.

Attachments

• 27373BB8-0903-408E-98FC-BB62F4CF9854.jpeg
    27373BB8-0903-408E-98FC-BB62F4CF9854.jpeg
    397.2 KB · Views: 51
  • A15AF3D4-C72E-4B86-8AF5-08CD5B48A8CE.jpeg
    A15AF3D4-C72E-4B86-8AF5-08CD5B48A8CE.jpeg
    306.6 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
The BTC dispenser labels shown above don't tell the whole story. That dispenser could be connected to a charger cabinet that has different limitations. For example, BTC makes a charger cabinet that is limited to 200kW. That is less than the 1000V * 350A capability of the dispenser.
Correct, the dispenser rating doesn't specify what power cabinet(s) it is connected to nor what the programmed maximum is. It can only tell you (by itself) what it can't exceed (in this case, 140 kW theoretically on a 400V vehicle, limited by the 350A maximum).

But in this case the user power label on the dispenser showed "up to 350 kW" (and per the dispenser, this is exactly 1000V * 350A) so this was on power cabinets that could provide 1000V at 350A simultaneously* with the 350 kW programmed maximum for this dispenser
(*the actual power cabinet and dispenser spec shows maximum 950V so it is actually slightly less than 350 kW at 332 kW , but still would not affect the power capability to charge a 400V vehicle)

IMG_20210727_170538.png

Also all the BTCPower power cabinets (even the highest power ones) are limited to 200 kW or less. However, two dispensers can power share two 200kW cabinets in 50 kW increments depending on the requested load per vehicle, so the total load on two cabinets between two dispensers could total 400 kW (350 kW+50 kW, 300 kW+100 kW, 250 kW+150 kW, 200 kW+200 kW, for example)
For this particular dispenser pair, a Porsche Taycan at 800V could use 280 kW (800V*350A), rounded to 300 kW based on the 50 kW increment, leaving the other dispenser the remaining 100 kW for another vehicle. I'm not sure how it allocates this power split, as to what would happen if a Taycan started charging when the paired dispenser was free, then another vehicle started charging at the other dispenser, requesting more than 100 kW, whether it will decrease the power for the Taycan's dispenser, or keep the Taycan at 300 kW and start the other at 100 kW.

For this particular dispenser pair, a Porsche Taycan at 800V could use 280 kW (800V*350A), rounded to 300 kW based on the 50 kW increment, leaving the other dispenser the remaining 100 kW for another vehicle.
Unless things have changed recently, I don't think EA allows charging in pairs like that. Once one side is going, it has to stop for the other side to begin charging. They should, as the hardware capability is definitely there. That was a while ago when I tried using the CHAdeMO side when someone else was already on the CCS1 side.

I really hope I'm wrong on this because that's a really bad implementation. Why couldn't everyone just use Tesla's standard, EV's would be so much better off!

Unless things have changed recently, I don't think EA allows charging in pairs like that. Once one side is going, it has to stop for the other side to begin charging. They should, as the hardware capability is definitely there. That was a while ago when I tried using the CHAdeMO side when someone else was already on the CCS1 side.

I really hope I'm wrong on this because that's a really bad implementation. Why couldn't everyone just use Tesla's standard, EV's would be so much better off!
This isn't referencing the two connectors on one dispenser, you can only use one at a time.

Somewhat like Supercharger cabinets can power multiple stalls, and that multiple V3 cabinets can allocate power between themselves, the BTCPower system can have two power cabinets in parallel, powering two dispensers and allocating between them. A "dispenser" is the stall with two connectors on it. The two "dispensers" that are shared are two separate stalls. See the drawing on the BTCpower page linked, it might make more sense.

• Informative
Reactions: Exelion
Looks like that little thing that sticks out in the store picture was not a photoshop error. It looks like it is there to space out/stabilize the connector. But it looks quite fragile, like it would be easy to snap off by accident.
Some say it is part of the latching mechanism and won't allow the ccs plug to lock to the adapter unless the adapter is plugged into the vehicle.

I think this is a clever solution to a potential problem with a passive adapter, if it is the case.

Reactions: Big Earl
Some say it is part of the latching mechanism and won't allow the ccs plug to lock to the adapter unless the adapter is plugged into the vehicle.
From reading the instructions I think it is the other way around. You plug the charge station into the adapter, then you plug the adapter into the car, and that little piece sticking out probably locks the adapter to the CCS cable when it is pushed in while connecting the adapter to the car. That way you can't accidentally unplug the CCS cable while charging. (Like you apparently can with the SETEC CCS adapter.)

From reading the instructions I think it is the other way around. You plug the charge station into the adapter, then you plug the adapter into the car, and that little piece sticking out probably locks the adapter to the CCS cable when it is pushed in while connecting the adapter to the car. That way you can't accidentally unplug the CCS cable while charging. (Like you apparently can with the SETEC CCS adapter.)
Yeah I just used google translate on the manual.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/charging_docs/ccs-adapter/CCS_1_Adapter_ko-KR.pdf

2. Align the CCS Combo 1 adapter with the end of the charging station cable, slide it together and make sure it is securely attached.
3. Connect the CCS Combo 1 adapter to your Tesla vehicle and wait for the vehicle to engage the latch that secures the adapter.

There is a better picture on the store site and it does look like the little piece can retract:
1656565-10-A_2.jpg

Yeah I just used google translate on the manual.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/charging_docs/ccs-adapter/CCS_1_Adapter_ko-KR.pdf

2. Align the CCS Combo 1 adapter with the end of the charging station cable, slide it together and make sure it is securely attached.
3. Connect the CCS Combo 1 adapter to your Tesla vehicle and wait for the vehicle to engage the latch that secures the adapter.

There is a better picture on the store site and it does look like the little piece can retract:
1656565-10-A_2.jpg
That thing is a beauty! Need.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
That's basically what I was trying to say. It enables the lock once attached to the car in order to prevent the CCS plug from being disconnected from the adapter while charging. Its a clever solution, IMO, so I worry that it will be easy to break. I hope it comes with a good protective case.