Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

severe range anxiety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was a stormy night (okay, it was really a sunny afternoon) and I was in the middle of an unplanned emergency road trip I had never attempted before. The only time I experienced "range anxiety" was when the next supercharger was 73 miles away and my Model 3 only showed 68 miles left of charge. No altitude changes in sight. Somehow, I was able to get there with only 7 miles left by slowing down to the speed limit. :D

I ran my 3 down to 0 miles, and drove it 4 miles around my neighborhood after that. I was watching to see if more low battery notices would pop up on the screen, and they didn't.

2 months later in July, I was driving home with a very low battery, and with a route in the GPS, it'd show the yellow or red bar across the top of the directions, in the top right of the screen.

I've only run it LOW low a few times, right before doing a 100% range charge. Typically I'll charge it at around 25% to 35%, depending on my driving plans for the next day.

• Informative
Reactions: halfricanguy
What is the closest to "empty" anyone has gone and on a scale of 1 to 10 what was your anxiety level?
Ben Sullins (Teslanomics) took his to flat empty, 290 miles, not 310. Particularly for people in the NorthEast or northern climates, mileage drops in winter, sometimes by a healthy amount. However, the advice is, especially important for northern climates, always keep it plugged in as battery heaters will run off of AC if available rather than battery plus you can keep your car at a reasonable temperature overnight and not freeze your butt off in the morning. Sure, PUP includes heated seats. Trust me, heated seats aren't automatic warm, i.e. a 70 deg interior beats heated seats every single time. Keep your recharge level to 80%-90% as full charges aren't helpful for the battery life. So you'll always have a pretty much full charge and a predictable interior environment in the winter (or summer) mornings.

Did most of you folks drive your ICE cars til the gauge red "E" because they mostly had 1-2 gallons left or 20-80 miles depending on the type of car. I would consider "E" in a M3 to be 10% or 30 miles.
A gallon or two?????!! Sheeeaaat, son(daughter?). You need to get into single-digit miles remaining to make that grocery store loyalty per Gal discount really pay out. :p

P.S. On occasion over the decades I'd seen fuel needles fully past the E mark. Not attempting to, just sometimes things work out that way. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
I think OPs question should be « what was your anxiety level? » AND « what was your wife’s anxiety level? »
FWIW, driving an ICE to empty is a AAA call or a walk to the nearest gas station. With an EV, it creates an instant bad day as a flat bed is involved. Deliberately running to Empty I don't believe is covered by Roadside assistance, if I correctly recall what Ben Sullins' said. Go to Teslanomics.co and look up that vid. It's very informative! In fact what he did didn't leave enough juice to safely park the car.
I inadvertently did that with the Prius plugin..not fun as it almost died in the middle of an exit ramp, effectively blocking the exit ramp.

A more interesting question would be has the range lied and ran out of charge?
That was the gist of what Ben Sullins was setting out to see. Range was supposed to be 310, he found absolutely flat empty was 290, or 20 miles off max range of 310. Cold weather effects range, as does going up hills, as does extra weight in the car. The reason I didn't go with SR is in winter I doubt I'd stress-free make a daily commute to where I used to work. 220 miles/charge can easily turn into 100. I know my Prius plugin range is dramatically less in winter. Consider 20 degrees outside, 75 degrees inside and what that would do to your range. ICE uses residual heat from engine block. EV uses pure electric heat. It may well be people up north, ME, VT, MA, etc Oregon, Washington St. they may not be terribly happy with a $35000 SR version.

Heh. Less than zero more than once, although less so now with the more ubiquitous SC coverage..

Hey, if you're not into the single digit percentages and see zero every now and then, you're not really trying, right? :)

How else would we know how to answer the frequent-asked question, "How long does it take to get a full charge?" /s

It was a stormy night (okay, it was really a sunny afternoon) and I was in the middle of an unplanned emergency road trip I had never attempted before. The only time I experienced "range anxiety" was when the next supercharger was 73 miles away and my Model 3 only showed 68 miles left of charge. No altitude changes in sight. Somehow, I was able to get there with only 7 miles left by slowing down to the speed limit. :D

I don't have my Tesla yet so I don't know how the range to empty responds to conservation attempts but surely adopting some hypermiling techniques should precede running out and having to call a rollback.

When I watched the YouTube of Ben Sullins running his Model 3 to zero mentioned by wcorey in comment 35 I was yelling at my computer for Ben to slow down and turn off his a/c when he he "knew" he wouldn't make it to the Supercharger. The hassle he went through for running out less than a half mile short of the charger showed how disastrous his strategy was (iirc the car needed to go to the service center because the Supercharger couldn't breathe life into the battery.)