Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shoddy quality and poor QC and missing parts..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the photo in the first post - is that the air intake for the heater / ac unit? If so, where is the air filter for it located?
Yes, that is fresh air intake for Climate control. Filter I think is inside, right side of center console under glovebox. I have not checked, but I am guessing there is a drain in the lowest point of air intake for any water to drain that might enter via intake.

If this is now the worst (and all the previous issues have been fixed) I can't wait. My current ICE car had horrible firmware issues with both the transmission and engine where the manufacturer could not get it right until about 4 code releases. Firmware also killed my battery within the first year as well. My car is in the shop at this moment due to a known engineering issue that requires the AC clutch assembly to be replaced - it no longer works over 85F. A couple cars before that I had one where I opened the door the first week and one of bolts holding the door hinge to the car FELL OUT and the rest were loose. Temp sensor also failed. It was also the first year they started using a DSG transmission and I was lucking enough to be one of the people on the bad end of that early technology. I can deal with missing clips.

Knowing my luck I'll probably have dead battery, cracked window, failed drive unit AND missing clips. :)

Oh my god! Outrageous! I’ve been saying it for years and no one listens .... Elon, no clip, Musk and his playboy lifestyle tweeting and snaptexting needs to learn that clip management is a real problem. Tesla is doomed. I just went out to my model s and although all the clips are there, I know that they were like forgotten and replaced during routine service. I’m installing a Blackvue in the trunk and wheel well & I’m going to remove the clips and bring it in to service and catch them red handed replacing the clip. When they try to charge me for it, it will confirm what this thread so accurately describes - a massive clip coverup.

I guess you bought 1 every year. I do not change cars that often.

Remember, these I was not even looking for it. After coming back from service, each tire has different pressure, rear one esp had 45, others had 44 and 43. So I thought I would adjust all to 43 (door jamb says 42). Just casual look I can see the missing clip.

Something inside for trim is one thing, this rear one in the wheel well and hole is thru. Means any water on rainy day or when someone washes water goes inside. So far I have not driving in rain and I specifically instructed them to not wash the car after the service also.

So, two out of two turned out missing something. So what does the stats say based on sample size?
Sample size neglect is the statistical term. It refers to drawing conclusions on too small a sample size. If you check 500 cars and 250 are missing the clip that is likely to be statistically significant. If you checked a 100 clips on your car and 20 were missing that is likely to be statistically significant. Checking five clips and three are missing is too small a sample. None of that minimizes your concerns or that the clips should be there, just answering your question.

• Helpful
Reactions: DR61
If this is now the worst (and all the previous issues have been fixed) I can't wait. My current ICE car had horrible firmware issues with both the transmission and engine where the manufacturer could not get it right until about 4 code releases. Firmware also killed my battery within the first year as well. My car is in the shop at this moment due to a known engineering issue that requires the AC clutch assembly to be replaced - it no longer works over 85F. A couple cars before that I had one where I opened the door the first week and one of bolts holding the door hinge to the car FELL OUT and the rest were loose. Temp sensor also failed. It was also the first year they started using a DSG transmission and I was lucking enough to be one of the people on the bad end of that early technology. I can deal with missing clips.

Knowing my luck I'll probably have dead battery, cracked window, failed drive unit AND missing clips. :)

I guess its a VW! ;)

My Model 3 was delivered August 6. I see that this issue of missing fasteners was started 2 months prior to my delivery. I, too, just happened to notice some missing wheel well liner fasteners, and found that I'm missing 6 of the plug-type push-in fasteners and 4 of bthe nut-type. I emailed the Seattle service center (Sodo) and the respondent said they checked three examples on hand and those were missing them, too. So it's now almost 3 months, and the same defect is still showing up. So much for correcting things at QA at the factory!

On a more serious note, I also noted that one rear wheel had snug-tight lug nuts. "Snug" is not acceptable on lug nuts. Of course, I checked the others, and they were OK. What do you think the chances are that the factory will be alerted?

• Informative
Reactions: chinnam3
My Model 3 was delivered August 6. I see that this issue of missing fasteners was started 2 months prior to my delivery. I, too, just happened to notice some missing wheel well liner fasteners, and found that I'm missing 6 of the plug-type push-in fasteners and 4 of bthe nut-type. I emailed the Seattle service center (Sodo) and the respondent said they checked three examples on hand and those were missing them, too. So it's now almost 3 months, and the same defect is still showing up. So much for correcting things at QA at the factory!

On a more serious note, I also noted that one rear wheel had snug-tight lug nuts. "Snug" is not acceptable on lug nuts. Of course, I checked the others, and they were OK. What do you think the chances are that the factory will be alerted?

I heard that the holes and studs are used for fixture alignment and are not part of the vehicle assembly. I called BS on the snug lug nuts... how you measured how much torque you need it to remove them?

ssx0yk0hv3pwxojbn6rt.png

https://jalopnik.com/bmw-has-at-least-one-quality-control-inspector-who-play-1793020065

Missing clips are a very minor problem. One can buy matching clips for a song on Amazon and replace them. I keep a box of clips handy for use all of the time. If you remove many panels (as I do frequently for my various projects) they will frequently break or go missing.
I had missing clips. Tesla sent a mobile service vehicle to my house and they attached the clips in a few minutes.

Missing clips are a very minor problem. One can buy matching clips for a song on Amazon and replace them. I keep a box of clips handy for use all of the time. If you remove many panels (as I do frequently for my various projects) they will frequently break or go missing.

Nobody should be expected to do this when buying a new car. Lol.

What about a used car? I got a used Toyota from a dealership and it was missing the 12V battery bracket.

Some of my cars were bought used. It was on me to do a thorough inspection and bring up any issues with the seller, so that they can either reduce the price or fix those issues. I understand that for a used vehicle, the previous owner may have done some modifications to it, and may not have replaced all the parts, or the missing parts may have just fallen off from age, but we're talking cars that are nearly 10 years old or older. These Tesla vehicles are all new or relatively new, shouldn't be missing much, if anything.

Picked up my Model 3 on 9/12/18 with a large array of build quality issues. QA is horrible.
- came with a big black dirty hand mark on the upper headliner
- annoying rattle coming from the seat belt mount right next to my left ear
- my left rear door is mounted sunken in as if somebody pressed it in about 1/3 inch
- came with a deep paint scratch on the right mirror
- rear hatch is crookedly aligned with a huge gap on left side
- charge door would not stay closed and when pushed closed is misaligned
- dust is trapped in the paint on the rear bumper in inside the door panels
- more paint scratches by the rocker panel
- seals around the doors are buckled on two of the doors
- seal on one door hanging off
- and of course the missing grommets in the wheel well
- lumbar support keeps deflating on its own (broken bag)

Makes me think what else is wrong that I can't see.

And yes some auto makers are more perfect than others. My last car was a 1999 Lexus GS 400 and I could not find one thing wrong with it. 19 year later and still no rattle noises. All my seals and alignments are spot on. Even if they fix all these issues on my Model 3 I think this car will fall apart within just a few years at least the interior which feels very cheap compared to my Lexus.

Last edited:
Thanks to this thread, I also had missing clips in my left rear wheel liners. I didn't bother to check the rest since they'll most likely be missing too. Last week, I stopped by my local service center to have it remedied. I was told by the service advisor/technician that Tesla decided that these clips we're no longer needed. But they can put them on for me. Well, they did, but they ran out of clips to complete the job. So I'll have to swing by another time for them to finish.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna