Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did he say report a loss? I do believe it but I just didn't hear this. I would think a loss due to the continuous ramp up for the globe and increased logistics.

This isn't a surprise for anyone. Every analysts has a negative EPS next quarter. They still have the ability surprise by have a less negative number.

I don't think it's a big deal and believe they will make their number.

This isn't a surprise for anyone. Every analysts has a negative EPS next quarter. They still have the ability surprise by have a less negative number.

I don't think it's a big deal and believe they will make their number.

Well, the experience so far has been that even the most anticipated news (e.g. Q1 profitability) has still given a substantial reaction in the share price. If that still holds, the Q2 results could still give a negative reaction.

I share your optimism in Tesla's long term future, but I think there is reason to believe that a sustained period with little news followed by the Q2 CC would see the share price stagnate a bit. I definitively would not buy the stock at ~$100 now - I'd wait to see whether it is $70 or $100 in October (which to me feels like the most likely range).

I very much agree with you! However, Tesla has an advantage over BMW, serious growth potential. So it depends tremendously if hope (you may even replace "o" with "y") will prevail against fear when the stock will hit a rough patch. If investors decide to value Tesla on EPS as a grown up company, we are in for a serious jump of the cliff (way below $50), as Q2 and Q3 will see negative EPS (with lots of "explanations" why this is not really it, à la Amazon - profits are evil etc.). If the present euphoria continues and the long term story prevails, analysts start talking about that mythical 500k / year with 25+% GM, then we could see $150 or $200 in a few months. My bets are on both sides, and I openly admit I have no clue which way it will go. But a trading range of $80 to $110 for more than 4 months seems very improbable to me.
Oh I agree that TSLA has huge growth potential, but it will be a few years before that's realized. A lot of this price rise was short squeeze and knee jerk from people just becoming aware of the stock. After two quarters of small losses, a lot of them who don't understand the vision will go away and we'll see the stock settle down a little bit. Once Model X is successfully launched I'd expect to see the price jump, and it will really jump with Gen III, but those are years away.

Funny. I just got short squeezed.

I woke up this morning with a massive TSLA short position and a margin call. And I mean MASSIVE - my TSLA short position today was 5 times the rest of my account value combined. :crying:

What happened is that I bought a whole bunch of $100 5/31 puts when the stock was at $105 on Friday (They were like 25c's each, so I picked up lots). I read through the brokers options expiration email, and it said that if you don't have the stock into your account, or the money to cover it, they will exercise, and then automatically cover and just send the profits your way. I couldn't nearly cover it so I just let it expire, figuring out they'll close it and just send me the profits.

Except... that's not what they actually did. They actually opened a short position at $100 on me. With over 95% of it on margin (I'm option heavy in my account). I can't open a position like that myself if I tried.

Now luckily I was able to buy it pre-market for $99. But not quite at the $97.77 that we closed at on Friday though. So I lost most of the profits I had on the put but at least didn't make a loss.

But it could have been disasterous. If we gapped up $10 today it would have wiped out half my holdings...

I don't know how people get any sleep at night when they actually short TSLA on purpose :(.

Funny. I just got short squeezed.

I woke up this morning with a massive TSLA short position and a margin call. And I mean MASSIVE - my TSLA short position today was 5 times the rest of my account value combined. :crying:

What happened is that I bought a whole bunch of $100 5/31 puts when the stock was at $105 on Friday (They were like 25c's each, so I picked up lots). I read through the brokers options expiration email, and it said that if you don't have the stock into your account, or the money to cover it, they will exercise, and then automatically cover and just send the profits your way. I couldn't nearly cover it so I just let it expire, figuring out they'll close it and just send me the profits.

Except... that's not what they actually did. They actually opened a short position at $100 on me. With over 95% of it on margin (I'm option heavy in my account). I can't open a position like that myself if I tried.

Now luckily I was able to buy it pre-market for $99. But not quite at the $97.77 that we closed at on Friday though. So I lost most of the profits I had on the put but at least didn't make a loss.

But it could have been disasterous. If we gapped up $10 today it would have wiped out half my holdings...

I don't know how people get any sleep at night when they actually short TSLA on purpose :(.

Wow, nasty! I held some speculative MayWk5 calls that expired out-of-the money on Friday. After market close i recieved an automated e-mail from my broker notifying me that if I wanted to exercise the calls I have to give notice within 24 hours... Uhm - NO thanks.

dropping like a stone..... anybody have a guess on how low it will go?

There is an article in Value Walk today about how Tesla has failed in the Texas legislature. So will be prohibited from selling or servicing cars in Texas for at least another 2 years.
Do you suppose this kind of news is suppressing the stock now?

Guys, low volume on this drop... at the moment $92 with only 2.2 million shares traded... Wouldn't worry too much about it at this volume. IMO buying oportunity for those looking for shorter term plays... That's just my opinion though. Also by the way: $92 is such a natural support in my mind, since the offering happened at that price and a lot of smart money comitted at that price point...

Status
Not open for further replies.