Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think he really changed his mind. Most of his audience of advice serves a more conservative investment profile. Even when he didn't like the stock/company for it's risks to his clientele, he talked positively about Elon and the product itself. I'd surmise, At some point the risk profile will be a little more attune to his audience and he'll recommend it in small doses.

Yeah, most of the time I've seen it come up on his show he just says it is too risky for him and he wouldn't recommend it. When the young guys (20's) would say they owned it, he'd bless it as a speculative play. Now that the risk is lightening up, he might be coming around to it more.

Guess a huge chunk of folks felt it was time to take profits. Stock has been in a free fall since the open. Now, granted, so far that only brings us back to where it was a couple hours before closing yesterday :)

That CR news - if legitimate - sure was an unexpected boon for me. I will say I shudder to see TSLA mentioned (as in this Cramer link) in the same article as Herbalife. Ah well - that's a lesson to try to stay objective about the market....

congrats to those who got out at 60+. Please have your lunch and hop back onto the train before it leaves the station and turns into the hyperloop.

I think it's healthy to see some profit-taking by the longs into earnings, otherwise I'd be concerned. This is the most volume we've seen since April 1. Not due to additional shorts hopping on, all longs taking profits. Good news is that they're selling to someone who thinks 57-58 is a bargain. I think there are a lot of institutions that don't want to be left out of this story.

Massive volume so far. I'm thinking it's a combination of profit taking by the recent momentum buyers coupled with and triggered by a resurgent effort by shorts to make a stand above 60. Many shorts could have been margin called or stopped out above 60 and are scrambling to get back in.

Me, I bought at $27. While I seriously considered selling at $60 - for a few days I had a limit order in to sell everything at $60 - I've decided to hold on through earnings. Even if it tanks I'll be plenty ahead still. On reflection I decided the reason I bought in the first place was the 4 - 5 view on Tesla and the rollout of Gen 3. At that point I figure Tesla will be fairly valued at $150. So this is all just noise until then.

The Consumer Reports tease is real. Link to a screen shot of the page here.

Massive volume so far. I'm thinking it's a combination of profit taking by the recent momentum buyers coupled with and triggered by a resurgent effort by shorts to make a stand above 60. Many shorts could have been margin called or stopped out above 60 and are scrambling to get back in.

That would explain it. Kind of. Otherwise I can't understand why anyone would sell below $57.50, at this point. I guess if confidence is still so low, it only means that after the announcement, on Thursday, it will go up even more than I have expected so far.

It's just another raving Model S review, hard to see how that has to do with the current craziness. But in the July issue, that will keep Tesla in the spotlight over the summer, so that will be good.

I think the timing of the CR review couldn't be better. Last year when all the rave reviews came out the Model S still wasn't in volume production, and there was an expectation that you would have to wait 9 months to a year to get one, assuming that Tesla could live up to their promises and actually deliver them (they were already behind schedule).

I think a lot of people might have dismissed the car at that stage as perhaps flashy, but not realistic, and had no reason to look again. The CR review will come out now during a season when people are considering new cars and Tesla is cranking them out with only a small wait. In their larger markets (especially California) people will have been seeing them around as well. I think it should be a timely boost to ordering.

I agree, though, that it isn't a big part of the current stock craziness, which is all about the earnings.

Really close to an outside reversal on heavy volume, not a good technical move today.

(Edit) I am long.

Indeed, an awful day and heavy volume contributing to the potential outside reversal you've noted. There's certainly a domino effect going on and plenty of people saying the hel with it, I'm taking what I've gotten and moving on - or selling earlier and still waiting to get back in.

I expected a pullback from yesterday and today is certainly that. But it's really hit the wal hard. But this stock has been doing this. Big run-up, hits the wall hard and bounces back. Then runs up past those limits into new territory and repeats. And they've gotten larger and larger.

I sold a few of my May 60 C's at $62.00 today to cover my cost and then bought some May 62.5 C's later when the price was in the mid 57's. It went back into the mid 58's shortly after and I figured myself a genius. But since then it has deflated over this massive bear run.

Bad day for SCTY too.

The whole MUSK ETF I've made is struggling today. Still up overall by quite a margin though.

Status
Not open for further replies.