Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla not saying anything official about this lowering limitation speaks volumes. The uncertainty here IMHO is what is slamming the stock. It's why I sold this miring at 135.27. Why was this done? If it was a software bug, I think tesla would have announced that by now. If it was something that was forced by nhtsa this could get ugly. Tesla has one product right now, and if it's considered "defective" this will be bad news. Is Elon doing his blog post? Are they working with nhtsa on what they need to say? All these unknowns are the problem. IMHO.

Tesla not saying anything official about this lowering limitation speaks volumes. The uncertainty here IMHO is what is slamming the stock. It's why I sold this miring at 135.27. Why was this done? If it was a software bug, I think tesla would have announced that by now. If it was something that was forced by nhtsa this could get ugly. Tesla has one product right now, and if it's considered "defective" this will be bad news. Is Elon doing his blog post? Are they working with nhtsa on what they need to say? All these unknowns are the problem. IMHO.

Without reading more from the thread about the 5.8 software update, it seems prudent for Tesla to put in a feature to prevent the ride height from being lowered while at highway speeds in order to prevent further frenzy damage to the battery compartment and cause fires that would be costly in the future. But I agree that Tesla could've handled the software update better.

cs, what you wrote makes sense to me, except the part about the selling ;)

kidding aside, yes, Tesla might have nhtsa issues. Costly, not pretty short-term, sure. derailing the future of the company? I think extremely unlikely. Tesla might have to spend some money for a real or for show fix, but that won't change the promise of their EVs vs. ICE.

I think current market reaction is as if the company's future becoming derailed was a far more likely event than it is. So I bought today.

Quick note to everybody: please be careful with the speculations you post here about Tesla's future..... and please avoid replying to other people's guesses or hypothesis as if they were facts. The last thing we want if for some paper to start posting there are "rumors" circling about bad stuff happening. Make sure it is abundantly clear you are just speculating.

/end of paranoia induced post

Quick note to everybody: please be careful with the speculations you post here about Tesla's future..... and please avoid replying to other people's guesses or hypothesis as if they were facts. The last thing we want if for some paper to start posting there are "rumors" circling about bad stuff happening. Make sure it is abundantly clear you are just speculating.

I agree totally.

92.24 should hold. That was where the successful oversubscribed secondary offering was priced.

Yep, that event. It also get some Goldman Halo. By the rate we are dropping. We are getting there pretty fast. All within 2 weeks of work. What an amazing story for options.

The current stock price is factoringin a worst case scenario if NHSTA. Which is a forced recall. The reality will be something in between as the gov will not want to kill off one of its lucrative tax revenue stream with such an order. Some story will be made and in the end the popularion bearing the cost of getting killed by tow racks from underneath.

I think a change of sentiment event will be the announcement by NHSTA. Anyone remeber how long it took last time NHSTA got involved?

OK, so here's my own careless wild baseless speculation about good stuff happening. ;-)
Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) Considers Expanding Into Korea - TheStreet
This could make sense in a number of ways. Korea is affluent with a sizable population. Several indigenous car makers, with high-end models to cater for the wealthy. Korea has a couple of mega-companies, vertically integrated. At least two of those are capable of supplying battery cells for Tesla, large scale. Korea has a high level of technology, some might say highest in the world (but I can't read Korean ;-) ). As with China, many cargo ships go empty return from U.S. so freight is very cheap.
Well, then there is the usual dreary sound well-founded speculation about steady or increasing demand, rising production, bottlenecks about to be resolved, i.a. battery cell supply, imminent deployment of Superchargers in Europe, rapid expansion of sales and service networks world-wide, etc, etc.
To say nothing about the Climate Conference in Warsaw. Hey, could that be an incentive for Big Oil to trash-talk Tesla? Hmm. (That was another careless wild baseless speculation, by the way.)
How's that for raising the stock by tomorrow?

Yep, that event. It also get some Goldman Halo. By the rate we are dropping. We are getting there pretty fast. All within 2 weeks of work. What an amazing story for options.

The current stock price is factoringin a worst case scenario if NHSTA. Which is a forced recall. The reality will be something in between as the gov will not want to kill off one of its lucrative tax revenue stream with such an order. Some story will be made and in the end the popularion bearing the cost of getting killed by tow racks from underneath.

I think a change of sentiment event will be the announcement by NHSTA. Anyone remeber how long it took last time NHSTA got involved?

If IIRC, it was at most a week from when they got involved to their stating no current action needed (their gathering data was delayed a couple of weeks because of government shutdown).

I think the result of their data gathering will be the same this time as last time.

OK, so here's my own careless wild baseless speculation about good stuff happening. ;-)
This could make sense in a number of ways. Korea is affluent with a sizable population. Several indigenous car makers, with high-end models to cater for the wealthy. Korea has a couple of mega-companies, vertically integrated. At least two of those are capable of supplying battery cells for Tesla, large scale. Korea has a high level of technology, some might say highest in the world (but I can't read Korean ;-) ). As with China, many cargo ships go empty return from U.S. so freight is very cheap.
Well, then there is the usual dreary sound well-founded speculation about steady or increasing demand, rising production, bottlenecks about to be resolved, i.a. battery cell supply, imminent deployment of Superchargers in Europe, rapid expansion of sales and service networks world-wide, etc, etc.
To say nothing about the Climate Conference in Warsaw. Hey, could that be an incentive for Big Oil to trash-talk Tesla? Hmm. (That was another careless wild baseless speculation, by the way.)

Yes I agree, Korea is probably right up Teslas alley as far consumers go. Can't think of another country that is as developed as Korea in regards to technology.
This is good news.

I find it interesting that some of the "old timers" want to call out people that made a financial decision to sell their shares as TSLA was tanking. Turns out it was the smart move if you ask me.
Yeah -- I don't pay attention closely enough to do stuff like that; there are entire weeks when I don't look at the market. Kudos to those who can.
If I had been really smart I would have purchased near-the-money puts at the peak (hedging), then exercised and repurchased sometime around now. But I didn't.

I'm now waiting to see whether my *very large* (for me) cash-covered put position at the $100 strike price will exercise. If it does, that's cool... but that's about as much as I'm willing to put into TSLA. If it doesn't, well, I didn't expect it to...

Well it looks like the selling bots have been temporarily turned off and are no longer looking for stop losses.
I like the volume today, that's quite reassuring. I don't see any catalysts in the near term future that could change this other than the NHTSA coming out, investigating tsla and then finding out they are ok.

Sounds pretty good. Also it would help if everyone ended their posts by copy and pasting the following: "GO TSLA BUY BUY BUY"

Regarding the korea news.....it's definitely an interesting market....but that won't move the stock in any way in the short term.
I speculate that Tesla may only go back up once either of those two things happen: production ramp up is confirmed to be still ongoing and significant, OR some kind of event confirms to the market the reality of the car's high safety/reliability.
Those two events depend mainly on one thing: Tesla's PR department. They are the ones who need to communicate the Tesla story appropriately....So far Tesla has mainly ignored marketing/public relations: the company's culture (elon) is very much engineer-driven and therefore places the product as their top priority discounting the effects of marketing. And marketing has not been necessary to sell cars so far.... so this department is probably severely understaffed/underdeveloped within the company. This must change if Tesla wants to become a big player in the auto industry.

Sadly, in this world....market perception is just as important as the actual product.

Status
Not open for further replies.