Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, easily the most money I've ever made on anything. Work bonuses, stock purchase, you name it. Probably 3x all those other things combined in my lifetime (I'm 44). Just a tremendous, I feel teary eyed :). I bought in 18 months ago at $28, so it was a 3x gain for me.

Same here. I started with a small bit in TSLA a few months ago, began adding options and then some more stock and just never expected this. I've sold all my options and a lot of stock at this point. I wouldn't be shocked if it went to $100 today or tomorrow but I got more than I bargained for much faster than I could have imagined and am sitting on a pile of cash I never thought I'd have.

Yay! I couldn't resist and dumped 50% at $85. The stock has risen enough that I can completely pay off my car and still keep 1/2 my shares. My auto loan rate is crazy low, but it's really more than I can safely handle each month and it was always my intent to put a lot more down on the car. I chose to gamble and took a larger loan hoping the stock would do what it's done. Probably wasn't smart being that overexposed to Tesla's success or failure, but it worked out.
Isn't that a contradiction? So you invested, say, $130k in TSLA at $30 or less ... stock gains 100%. You net $100k after tax. You pay off the car. Yet the assumed monthly nut of $1,100 (assuming 20% down), you can't really afford? Absolutely none of my business but the math? :)

Isn't that a contradiction? So you invested, say, $130k in TSLA at $30 or less ... stock gains 100%. You net $100k after tax. You pay off the car. Yet the assumed monthly nut of $1,100 (assuming 20% down), you can't really afford? Absolutely none of my business but the math? :)
I invested $50k. My loan is $75k with a monthly of $12xx (don't recall exactly). My plan had originally been to put most all of that $50k against the car to reduce the loan to something on par with my normal car purchase of around $35k, leaving me only $10k left to invest.

So, I gambled. I knew I could have made changes in lifestyle to handle the car payment so it wasn't an all or nothing thing, but it wouldn't have been fun.

I invested $50k. My loan is $75k with a monthly of $12xx (don't recall exactly). My plan had originally been to put most all of that $50k against the car to reduce the loan to something on par with my normal car purchase of around $35k, leaving me only $10k left to invest. So, I gambled. I knew I could have made changes in lifestyle to handle the car payment so it wasn't an all or nothing thing, but it wouldn't have been fun.
Thank you ckessel for holding through thick and thin. I've had the same success before with other stock, but TSLA is the only one where I was 99% sure and hence my risk reward algorithm allocated a bigger part of my net worth into. Now I know for sure that the #1 variable on any stock is the CEO. A CEO's etiquette will eventually get passed down through the rank and file.

So the naked shorts are forced to buy Tesla stock. What do they do with it? If they just keep it, they will eventually make money and own a quality company. They only get clobbered if they turn around and dump it. If they keep it, how many voting shares will end in the hands of reluctant negative owners? Does it make any difference?

So the naked shorts are forced to buy Tesla stock. What do they do with it? If they just keep it, they will eventually make money and own a quality company. They only get clobbered if they turn around and dump it. If they keep it, how many voting shares will end in the hands of reluctant negative owners? Does it make any difference?

Naked shorts have sold shares they do not have (or have borrowing rights too, which cost borrowing fees). When they buy stock they have already 'promised' it to another party. So they get NO benefits from buying the stock.

They hope that the stock price goes down, so that they can buy the stock at a lower price, having sold it to another party at a higher price.

I'm a little embarrassed to ask and it's the wrong thread, but I'm having trouble interpreting the IRS regs. Do I have to file an estimated tax on my recent stock sale?

Difficult to say w/o knowing your tax situation. But if you usually have to pay or come out even on April 15, then you should send in your marginal tax rate on the gain from the sale, or if it's long-term, your capital gains rate. If you normally have a significant refund, then you're probably ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.