Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The big question is whether to hold Jun 13 calls until after the announcement (Friday) or to sell tomorrow or Thursday if there is further gains before the announcement... decisions decisions... If we have a nice gain tomorrow or thursday I will probably sell some and keep some...

Hard to tell but hedging a bit is usually a good idea. I feel like this announcement won't have negative effects and as someone else said here a week ago or so this might be the rare case of buying on the news.

This stock has really clawed back from that massive 24% drop - it's doing well and steadily gaining and getting traction and support. But, as options have a time factor, you might want to dump some early.

Never regret taking profits.

The big question is whether to hold Jun 13 calls until after the announcement (Friday) or to sell tomorrow or Thursday if there is further gains before the announcement... decisions decisions... If we have a nice gain tomorrow or thursday I will probably sell some and keep some...

I'll probably split the difference. I'm betting we melt up in anticipation of the demo the next two days, but we sell of on Friday if nothing surprising is said during the demo. There is the chance of a surprise though (Elon is a loose cannon, and then there are things like this GM rumor that came out of nowhere) so I think I want to keep some exposure.

Elon just Tweeted again

"Battery pack swap works with all Tesla Model S cars, past and present, It was always there."

This eliminates the faint hope that EM was referring to swap of a secondary aluminum-air battery. I don't think it has ever been a burning question as to whether you could swap batteries out of a Tesla, or how long it would take. The real question which EM must answer this week is under what circumstances a battery swap would make sense for both the Tesla owner and Tesla Motors given the supercharging alternative.

Here's a tweet that Elon added at 07:57 PDT to this morning's twitter thread in response to a comment about Shai Agassi of Better Place: "Shai actually got the idea from a visit to Tesla. The idea is obvious (many things allow battery swap), but the technology is not."
This sounds a lot to me like the Boeing situation.

"Lithium ion is fine, but you have to use it the right way."

{moderator's plea:}
Let's keep the discussion about the business angles of the Thursday announcement here: June 20th Speculation
Please use this thread to discuss short-term price movements, including those linked (or not) to the swapping announcement.

I started to try to pry out the off-topic posts, but there's no way to do so without disrupting the thread. So let's agree to be more disciplined going forward.

Thanks, Robert
{/plea}

FYI, my broker (TD Waterhouse in Canada) has just decreased the loan rate for TSLA to 50% (down from around 70%) as of June 20, 2013. This affects those on margin and may result in a minor increase in margin calls on Thursday.

Thanks for this! Just logged in (was away last few days) and I'll top up the cash just to be safe in case we do see some mid 80's action...

Status
Not open for further replies.