Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering if with window dressing and all with the end of the qtr for investment firms this Friday if dumping a bit of TSLA Friday and looking for a re-buy next week is in order? It's been a massive gainer and I'm sure some funds will be and have been adding it to look good.

Consider the tax consequences of short term gains. Positions can be protected with option hedges.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too. I've held these for awhile now and it makes more sense to buy some puts if I feel such conviction I think.

Even that may not be necessary, if you have sufficient risk tolerance. Many longs with large short term gains have likely been holding their TSLA shares and hedging with options due to tax considerations. That would explain the inability of the shorts to push the stock down much or for very long. Their shorting attacks no longer produce much of a cascade through stop limits set by weak longs. The remaining longs are steadfast. Belief in the long term potential of the company also keeps them onboard.

- - - Updated - - -

havent followed OBAMA update, any impact on TSLA or SCTY ?

Quite mild boost for TSLA. Huge jump for SCTY, especially when the president mentioned solar installations at Walmart and military bases. SolarCity has been the installer in both cases. I sold my original SCTY position on May 30 and bought back in yesterday afternoon in anticipation of a boost from the president. I updated my website as soon as I bought yesterday. That got my dentist excited, but I haven't learned if he actually bought.

- - - Updated - - -

The short interest in TSLA has returned to an increase: Tesla Motors, Inc. (TSLA) Short Interest - NASDAQ.com

Settlement DateShort InterestAvg Daily Share VolumeDays To Cover
6/14/201319,929,11910,040,7771.984818
5/31/201318,584,61515,751,2501.179882
5/15/201323,039,95614,757,3191.561256

The short interest in TSLA has returned to an increase: Tesla Motors, Inc. (TSLA) Short Interest - NASDAQ.com

Settlement DateShort InterestAvg Daily Share VolumeDays To Cover
6/14/201319,929,11910,040,7771.984818
5/31/201318,584,61515,751,2501.179882
5/15/201323,039,95614,757,3191.561256

Wow, interesting to see the short interest increase to close to 20m shares. I don't know what to make of this. Anybody?

TSLA added to IBD's Leaderboard today, first time for an automaker!

UPDATED 12:44 PM ET| Tesla Motors is forming a high, tight flag, reflecting solid price action while the market corrects. The potential buy point is 107.23, derived from a resistance level that is lower than what is normally used in these patterns. The high, tight flag is a rare base, but can lead to powerful gains. Historical examples of the base include other innovators, such as stun-gun maker Taser. The Accumulation/Distribution Rating and up/down volume ratio support the thinking that the stock remains under accumulation while most leaders are weakening. Backstory: Tesla is leading other automakers in alternative-fuel cars. It makes all-electric cars, which appeal to those who want to avoid the gas pump or the emissions caused by internal-combustion engines. Tesla has been ramping up production faster than expected. But Teslas are not for everyone: The cheapest Model S sells for $62,400 after tax credits. Tesla doesn’t have the profit history of winning stocks, but it does have a breakthrough product and the company is expected to have its first annual profit next year, 88 cents a share.

TSLA added to IBD's Leaderboard today, first time for an automaker!

UPDATED 12:44 PM ET| Tesla Motors is forming a high, tight flag, reflecting solid price action while the market corrects. The potential buy point is 107.23, derived from a resistance level that is lower than what is normally used in these patterns. The high, tight flag is a rare base, but can lead to powerful gains. Historical examples of the base include other innovators, such as stun-gun maker Taser. The Accumulation/Distribution Rating and up/down volume ratio support the thinking that the stock remains under accumulation while most leaders are weakening. Backstory: Tesla is leading other automakers in alternative-fuel cars. It makes all-electric cars, which appeal to those who want to avoid the gas pump or the emissions caused by internal-combustion engines. Tesla has been ramping up production faster than expected. But Teslas are not for everyone: The cheapest Model S sells for $62,400 after tax credits. Tesla doesn’t have the profit history of winning stocks, but it does have a breakthrough product and the company is expected to have its first annual profit next year, 88 cents a share.

Interesting. Stockmarketmentor.com is also calling for a $107 buy point (if volume is high), A look at Tesla Motors Inc. a Bear Killer or Bull Spit? .

Is tesla really reporting earnings on July 22, as stated in this article? That seems so soon, since the last earnings report was in early may.

NASDAQ expects it on July 24: Tesla Motors, Inc. (TSLA) Earnings Report Date - NASDAQ.com

- - - Updated - - -

So IBD is saying that if TSLA breaks out of it's current trend and makes it to 107.23 short term then IBD is recommending people buy in as it should continue it's run to possibly historic highs?

http://education.investors.com/investors-corner/594019-high-tight-flag-brings-big-rewards.htm

I'm a stock trading novice but I don't see it.

They are referring to a technical pattern in which a stock spikes to the upside, waffles for a while, and then spikes upward again. The chart to which you linked is based on weekly readings which may obscure what otherwise might be obvious. I discuss the pattern in the book I wrote for McGraw-Hill.

I was cleaning up my Macbook's desktop and came across this screenshot I took several weeks ago on May 8. Tesla had just reported Q1 2013 earnings and aftermarket was going crazy. This has got to do down as one of the most significant days in TSLA's history (as a stock).

screen.png

I was cleaning up my Macbook's desktop and came across this screenshot I took several weeks ago on May 8. Tesla had just reported Q1 2013 earnings and aftermarket was going crazy. This has got to do down as one of the most significant days in TSLA's history (as a stock).

Very nice! By posting it here it will be kept for the annals of history :)

I think I caught the first ever trade of TSLA at $100 in pre-market on May 28th with a screen shot. If you're interested see this post: Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - Page 241

Status
Not open for further replies.