Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay, seems my limit order for the tomorrows $175 calls went through at $3.15 that was my break even price and then tanked :) The daily high is $3.20 so definitely caught that ;) Now got to hope that the idiots come to an agreement and that next week is a rising trend that will give me nice profits from all the other investments. The portfolio is already creeping closer to green from the fact that it's in the $170's and not falling ;)

I should have listened.... I have another week though, not like its going to make a difference.

Hi Hershey, I think there will be a day or two in the near future where the stock will spike on open. You should take advantage of that and sell those weekly options immediately.

Longer term, everyone should know that the US politicians are worthless at doing their jobs. Boehner will suggest something ridiculous in the next day or two. The stock will move up a little thinking there's a chance. The democrats will reject it, and the stock market will fall hard. This will repeat a few times until they warn that the US credit rating will drop. The stock market will fall hard again. The politicians will get yelled at by the banks that fund them and come up with a weak compromise that delays solution for few months. This is when we buy!

Also remember that October 17th is not the deadline for default. It's just the date that Jack Lew thinks he'll be out of his tricks. I think this circus will go on longer. The actual possibility of default is very low; the tea party should be jailed if that actually happens. But I think it's very real for the country's credit rating will drop again. The last time that happened in 2011, my portfolio took a 30%+ hit in couple of days.

I would be very careful with weekly options at these times. Myself, I'm going to wait until I see the light at the end of the tunnel and buy a LOT of December calls. This will position me well for the earnings in early November and I'll be able to weather out the crazy daily swings that will surely follow.

Sorry for the long rant. Good luck everyone!

I'm in for some more common shares at 172 (also grabbed some CSIQ thanks to Sleepy's great analysis). The meeting taking place as I type between Dem and Repub leadership makes me more confident than not that a deal will be reached, if not today then soon.

If things progress further, I'll dip back into some calls, but not quite yet.

Kudos to DaveT and everyone who actually contacted their congressperson to make their voice heard. Our democracy isn't perfect, but in many countries citizens can't even do that. That makes me proud. :)

Hi Hershey, I think there will be a day or two in the near future where the stock will spike on open. You should take advantage of that and sell those weekly options immediately.

Longer term, everyone should know that the US politicians are worthless at doing their jobs. Boehner will suggest something ridiculous in the next day or two. The stock will move up a little thinking there's a chance. The democrats will reject it, and the stock market will fall hard. This will repeat a few times until they warn that the US credit rating will drop. The stock market will fall hard again. The politicians will get yelled at by the banks that fund them and come up with a weak compromise that delays solution for few months. This is when we buy!

Also remember that October 17th is not the deadline for default. It's just the date that Jack Lew thinks he'll be out of his tricks. I think this circus will go on longer. The actual possibility of default is very low; the tea party should be jailed if that actually happens. But I think it's very real for the country's credit rating will drop again. The last time that happened in 2011, my portfolio took a 30%+ hit in couple of days.

I would be very careful with weekly options at these times. Myself, I'm going to wait until I see the light at the end of the tunnel and buy a LOT of December calls. This will position me well for the earnings in early November and I'll be able to weather out the crazy daily swings that will surely follow.

Sorry for the long rant. Good luck everyone!

Thanks for the advice.. I hope I have a chance to break even soon like Mario did. I was taking a small hit in the morning (15% or so) and wanted the stock to move up another point so i can sell for break-even or a small profit.

Question for you guys who've been here long enough.
Did any of you remember that there was a deal in the works with Mercedez? Whatever happened to that?

Hi Causalien

Maybe it was this: Tesla provides the drivetrain, motor and battery pack of the all new Merc B-Class Electric Drive. Range of 200km (28kWh) 0-60 in 7.9. As a german car mag posts today, deliveries will start in the US in spring 2014, later in EU. The cars gets a good review here.Mercedes B-Klasse Electric Drive: Souveräne Fahrleistung - B-Klasse - Mercedes-Benz - Automarken A - Z

I don't know if potential revenues of this joint-venture are considered in the ....(fill in your favourite adjective) valuation of TSLA.

Thanks for the advice.. I hope I have a chance to break even soon like Mario did. I was taking a small hit in the morning (15% or so) and wanted the stock to move up another point so i can sell for break-even or a small profit.

The reason I broke even was that I gambled and bought some more $175 calls when it dipped to below $164 at $1 per call. It was risky, but I doubled my position bringing the cost basis down from $5.2 to $3.1 and then put immediately a sell order out that was good till cancel at $3.15 (purchase price+commissions) and that got executed within the first few minutes of todays trading at very close to the top ($3.2 was the top) so got very lucky. The calls have been trading for $1 again now so overall I closed that for $16 profit :D And at the same time my hedge which I closed yesterday or the day before netted me a nice $441 profit so overall this has paid for next weeks $175 call that is nicely in the green :)

So my recommendation is that if you want to just get out have a good till cancel sell order out there that might get lucky at the first minutes of trade tomorrow or some time today if there's a freak spike (calls do go up with momentum if there's momentum in the stock, the market makers sometimes predict ahead if there's a run and that can net you higher call value even though if the momentum stops at a price the call price comes down fast, hence having the order out there might net it to you when you yourself possibly couldn't catch it...).

Talking not much money at this point, but do I close out my Oct11 185's for pennies on the dollar or just let them expire at this point and pray for some sort of miracle to make them worth more? Seems almost pointless close out now to get back the last 5%, but it is 5% I could reuse later I suppose.

Talking not much money at this point, but do I close out my Oct11 185's for pennies on the dollar or just let them expire at this point and pray for some sort of miracle to make them worth more? Seems almost pointless close out now to get back the last 5%, but it is 5% I could reuse later I suppose.

my personal take on that is if its under a certain amount you make up in your head. (lets say $50) then i just let it ride because who knows what tomorrow could bring.

So if TSLA is knocked down because of political BS, then shouldn't it lead the way on the way back up, and be up more than $3 today?

This circus is far from over. GOP is getting pressure from Wall Street to end this mess. Boehner just announced that they'll offer a short-term deal that kicks the can down the road until Nov. 22nd. We may see a small rally today. When the democrats reject this deal (and they will), the market will fall again. Anyone with weekly options, I advise you to take advantage of the small rally you may see today.

This is a repeat of 2011 debt ceiling 'debate'. It was a painful experience for me that I will not forget. The only difference is that the democrats may have learned their lesson and not cave in. I hope everyone here is careful in the following weeks. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.