Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TSLA could be setting up for a nice pop on ER day. It has been a bit fragile and institutions have been taking profits keeping the stock down or sideways.

Everyone expects good news from TSLA again but if there's great news, it could push it past 200 and let it run - especially if we're talking 50k 2014 guidance and China being a big deal.

This bull has been a total rager so I mean it's hard to be upset about anything right now. However, these next earnings could catch the market sleeping as all the attention is on Google, Facebook, Netflix, Amazon and a few others. Apple will be getting a lot of looks and possible pops in a couple weeks when they report a big blowout. TSLA is sort of forgotten right now - it's "out of gas", etc. But a big hit in November gets it over 200 and into the 225-250 range quickly.

I'm keeping a close eye on things and might just put a few thousand down on some calls ahead of earnings on a dip and see what happens. I plan on DATA getting a good boost from their reporting and dumping 50% of that and using that money to take a chance on the next TSLA ER if everything looks good.

usually after option expiration people use to exercise and go with the stock, today it looks like people prefer to sell, causing the price to go red after hours.
IMO technically we will see at least 175 next week :(
i'm starting to get frustrated as every thing i touch this days is going bad against me.

price action w/ volumes

well given all the discussion about the lack of interesting/informative posts in this short term prices thread, i thought i would post something that summarizes the price action over the past couple weeks, combined with the daily trading volumes as a point of discussion. here is a summary of the past couple weeks:

DateClosing PriceVolume
10/18$183.405,881,678
10/17$182.806,689,169
10/16$183.568,189,484
10/15$183.9410,955,250
10/14$179.727,757,278
10/11$178.708,296,133
10/10$172.938,836,616
10/9$168.7815,301,220
10/8$174.7313,724,220
10/7$183.0711,461,000
10/4$180.9814,367,650
10/3$173.3123,764,970
10/2$180.9520,717,780
10/1$193.007,754,694

to remind folks about what was happening at various points during this crazy couple weeks, 10/2 was the day of the baird downgrade followed by the TSLA fire, which was digested and impacted the stock on 10/3 as well (with huge volumes both days), and there was generally a lot of trading activity during the uncertainty of the government shutdown and the potential for a default (with 10/9 as the low point). then a move up on 10/15 (with reasonably large volume) as it became clearer that we were going to avoid a default.

since then, there has been no real TSLA news, which (in my opinion) has lead to low volumes and the generally sideways movement -- nothing new to drive the stock up. i'd be curious to hear if anyone has any other opinions or thoughts on any other factors that could have driven the low volumes. as someone else pointed out earlier, the rest of the market seems to have been driving higher.

personally, i would expect TSLA to begin inching higher over the next couple weeks leading into earnings. this could be driven higher or lower by analyst upgrades/downgrades or any other major news that emerges. as i'm sure is the case for many folks here, i already have my 3Q earnings bets in place and will be deciding what level of profit taking before earnings based on the magnitude of the price movement heading into november 5th.

surfside

Last edited:
since then, there has been no real TSLA news, which (in my opinion) has lead to low volumes and the generally sideways movement -- nothing new to drive the stock up. i'd be curious to hear if anyone has any other opinions or thoughts on any other factors that could have driven the low volumes. as someone else pointed out earlier, the rest of the market seems to have been driving higher.

personally, i would expect TSLA to begin inching higher over the next couple weeks leading into earnings. this could be driven higher or lower by analyst upgrades/downgrades or any other major news that emerges.
surfside

IIRC Tesla was either slow, flat or down price an volume wise for a while a couple of weeks before the last earnings call, up a bit before the call and down after the call. It didn't make a big jump until a few days later and people digested what Elon had to say over the weekend. It was rather quiet news wise before the earnings calls and Elon had some nice surprises. I think this will be the case again. There may be a few little things that grab attention and overshadow some of the good news at first, but the good news will trump all the questions about things like the fire and other old news.

It seems like there was similar action for the earnings call prior to the last one.

Right now, I think that the earnings reports from other companies is drawing attention and a few bucks away from Tesla. That will probably quiet down.

7-17-13 Closed at 120.25
7-24-13 Closed at 121.70

Basically a flat week, about two weeks prior to Q2 ER.

8-5-13 Closed at 144.68
8-6-13 Closed at 142.15
8-7-13 Closed at 134.23 Earnings released at close of market.
8-8-13 Closed at 153.48

Are we having our flat week, right now?

If history repeats itself, will we see $232 on November 6? I'd like to think so.

Thoughts on TSLA growth trajectory (TSLA at $183.40)

My kingdom for a DaveT megapost sometime again soon -- after the sting of the debt crisis wears off, perhaps?

As we head into Q3 earnings, here's some of my thoughts on TSLA and how growth trajectory is so important. (ps., thanks to all those fighting to keep the quality of posts high on this thread.)

Why growth trajectory is so important
As long as TSLA is growing at a fast pace, then TSLA stock will continue to rise. But as soon as the trajectory slows, TSLA stock price will slow or likely "correct". The reason for this is because the stock price reflects people's value on the future earnings potential of the company. And the future earnings potential of a company differs radically depending on their growth trajectory.

Let's take the example of compound interest. If I take $100,000 and can grow it at 6% per year, then in 12 years the $100k will be $200k. In another 12 years (total 24 years), it will double again ($200k to $400k). So, in 24 years at 6% per year growth, the $100k will be $400k.

At 12% growth per year, you might imagine you'd have $800k (ie., double the $400k of 5% growth) in 24 years. But because of compound growth, you'll actually have $1.6 million.

At 24% growth per year, at the end of 24 years, you'll have $25.6 million.

(see Rule of 72 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia to learn how to calculate these things in your head.)

This same principle applies to stock price. If a company is growing revenue at a fast pace, then that puts the company in a very steep trajectory that takes advantage of the principle of compound growth. That's why investors give high-growth stocks enormous P/E multiples. No company can keep up crazy revenue growth (ie., 100% per year growth) because at some point the trajectory slows as they penetrate (or saturate) the market more. However, as long as the high-growth company can continue to grow revenues at an impressive rate, then the stock price will reflect a high multiple.

Tesla's breath-taking revenue growth
Now, let's apply this to TSLA. Currently Tesla is growing revenue at a breath-taking pace.
2010 - $100m
2011 - $200m
2012 - $400m
2013 - $2 billion
2014 - $3.5 to 4 billion
*all numbers are approximate.

Once a company gets up in the billions of $ in revenue, it's gets even more difficult to keep up super high growth. Yet, Tesla is doing it largely because 1) it has a stellar product, and 2) the auto market is one of the largest markets in the world.

If you look at just the numbers above, you'd imagine the revenue to start growing at a much slower pace starting 2015… ie., $5 billion. But if Tesla sells 80k Model S/X in 2015, we're looking at probably $7 billion in revenue, thus this would continue it's close-to-100% yearly growth rate. This is astounding.

Then, in 2016 you'd imagine growth to slow because what company can continue near 100% yearly growth after reaching $7b in revenue. But in late 2016 (or 2017), Tesla is set to reveal Gen III. I think revenue growth could slow due to production ramping issues but still the revenue potential of Gen III is immense and can fuel astounding revenue growth for Tesla for many years to come. For example, when they sell 1 million Gen III cars in a year (whenever that is), that would be $40 billion (average selling price of $40k) in yearly revenue and that's not including any Model S/X sales.

My point being is that there are very few companies with revenue in the billions of $ that have estimated 50+% revenue growth rates for the next several years. Actually I can't even think of one. In this respect, I think Tesla's revenue growth potential is truly remarkable.

Stock price will usually follow revenue growth. So when you have a company growing revenue fast, then their stock price movements will usually reflect this.

However, not only does Tesla have crazy revenue growth, it also has impressive gross margins. This allows Tesla to actually make profit from their vehicles and to use that profit to re-invest into growth.

So why am I sharing all this? Well, I'm giving you the keys to learn how to interpret earnings reports (and other substantial news) in the coming years and to gauge their effect on TSLA's stock price.

As long as TSLA is able to keep an impressive growth trajectory that meets or exceeds expectations, then the stock price should be fine. However, if TSLA disappoints in some way and their growth trajectory is affected in a meaningful way where it now is lower than expectations (of those invested in the stock, not just observers) then this is bad news for the stock price.

Currently, I think we've got substantial upside potential over the next couple years with TSLA. The reason being is because I don't think investors are expecting Tesla to earn $7 billion in revenue (ie., 80k Model S/X cars) in 2015. I think the expectations are more in the order of $3 billion in 2014 and $4.5-5 billion in 2015. (At the end of 2014, if investors have caught up with expectations and expect $7 billion in revenue for 2015 then I can expect a stock price of at least $350. The reason is because with $7b revenue TSLA could have $1b earnings and investors will likely give at least a 50 forward P/E, making TSLA's market cap at least $50b which is double today's market cap. Investors could give a higher forward P/E and the market cap could be much higher as well, which is probably the more likely scenario if at the end of 2014 Tesla has sold over 40k cars in 2014.)

In order for revenues to continue to grow and outpace investor expectations, two main things are required; namely, production and demand. For example, in order for Tesla to sell 80k Model S/X cars in 2015 there needs to be the demand for that many cars, and Tesla needs to be able to produce that many cars to meet the demand. So, when you're interpreting earnings reports (or other substantial news items) you want to ask the question, "how does this impact demand and production?"

Q2 Earnings Report
Last quarter's (Q2) Earning Report was very impressive but enthusiasm was tapered because of production constraints. Elon Musk noted that they can't grow production as fast as they'd like and they didn't raise FY 2013 guidance. If Tesla has less production constraints and had raised FY 2013 guidance during Q2 Earnings Report/Call, then you'd see TSLA stock have a lot more momentum then it does have now.

So, one of the bigger questions for TSLA price action is when will TSLA overcome their production constraints and start producing significantly more cars.

Hopefully, Q3 ER might answer this question.

Q3 Earnings Report
Q3 ER is super important because it will likely shed light on Tesla's production goals for 2014 via their FY 2014 guidance they will likely share. Here's a Q3 ER good/blowout scenario:
1. Tesla shares they've overcome most of their production/supplier constraints and have ramped production to over 600 cars/week by end of Q3, have sold over 6000 cars in Q3, and have achieved 20%+ gross margin.
2. Tesla gives FY 2014 guidance of 35k-40k cars sold citing super strong demand in U.S. and Europe.

Currently I'm about 80-90% confident that Tesla will announce at least 35k cars guidance for 2014 and will sell 6000+ cars in Q3.

There's a big difference though between guiding 35k cars vs 40k cars for 2014. If Tesla guides 40k cars for 2014, then it will truly be a blowout ER because investors will have to significantly revise their expectations for future revenue/earnings (and we'll see a whole slew of analyst upgrades as well). If Tesla guides 35k cars in 2014, then I think it will be enough to not disappoint investors. However, if they guide less than 35k then I'd be concerned. For example, if TSLA guides 30k cars for 2014, then investors might actually have to lower their future revenue expectations and this could really hit TSLA stock price quite hard. 30k cars vs 35k cars might not sound like a lot but when you factor in the principle of compound growth then it's a huge amount.

China
China has potential to do wonders to TSLA stock price, but it's unclear when this will be realized. Personally, I think it's too early to expect China to have any impact on TSLA until after they have been selling cars in China for at least a couple quarters. But that's just my opinion and it could be sooner that we realize China's impact.

Here's how I'm looking at China. China's auto market is huge and foreign cars sell well. It's almost an ideal market for Tesla. They only problem is the high tariffs for cars made outside of China; and this will apply to Tesla because their cars are made in Fremont. It's my understanding that Tesla is not able to get around this tariff by simply doing final piecing together of powertrain and body in China like they do in Europe. In other words, Tesla will have to set up a factory (as a joint venture) to manufacture cars in China to get around the import tariff.

Until Tesla gets around the high import tariff, the Model S will be priced at a large premium and this will affect demand. I think the Model S will still sell well (ie., 8,000-10,000 per year) but if they can manufacture the Model S in China and get around the import tariff, then I think the cost of the car could be up to 1/3 cheaper and in that case they could likely sell in the range of 40,000-50,000 Model S cars per year (probably double the demand as the U.S. or Europe).

I'm guessing that Tesla's strategy is to roll out the Model S in China early 2014 and to see how high demand is. If they're on pace to sell at least 10k cars/year in China, then Tesla will likely announce that they will be making a factory in China to produce the Model S domestically (which might take a couple years to realize). That announcement could be a catalyst for a TSLA stock price bump because it profoundly affects demand and production for Tesla's cars.

Data Points
Going back to Q3 ER, I wish we had more data points that would help us to determine what actual production numbers were for Q3. In Q1 we had reliable VIN analysis. In Q2 we had quarterly production numbers from factory tours. But in Q3, we're lacking some reliable "first data" points. We have general VIN analysis but it's not super reliable because of gaps and Europe shipments. We have had a few people mention store visits where employees mentioned (or didn't deny) production numbers of 700/week achieved in Q3. But we haven't had much discussion on this.

I wish we had some more people share any info or data points (ie., from factory tours or store visits) for Q3 production.

Part of the value of these forums is that we're crowdsourcing the info, data and analysis available for Tesla cars and the company. As we freely share info, more people are encouraged to freely give and they've received. But if we decide to hold back info, then I'm afraid this investor section will no longer hold the value it did previously and many people will lose interest. Part of the reason I share these megaposts freely is because I receive freely and want to encourage others to share as well. So, if you have data points that could be helpful, please share.

I'd also like to ask Sleepyhead to re-post his article about his store visit (the article that was taken down from Investnaire). To sleepyhead - please post the article in this investor section as a new thread or under Q3 earnings thread. To me that article was an interesting data point (ie., conversation with store employee) that we need to openly discuss. Maybe others can share experiences that confirm sleepy's data point, or maybe people have other info that contradict it. However, if we don't share these data points (or have them removed), then it's truly a loss for everyone here. Also, I wouldn't worry about people on the Street looking at these forums and taking info. It's not just the info shared here but it's also the depth of how we interpret info and also the timing that gives us an advantage. So, let's all freely give as we've freely received.

Please share any data points for Q3 production on the Q3 ER thread, Q3 2013 results - projections and expectations .

Last edited:
Dave T. Thanks. hope the house hunting went well. You alluded to the VIN data as being 'not super reliable'. Unfortunately, it is the only data we have to try to project deliveries in Q3. I think we can use Craig's (cfOH) graphs to give us the best approximation of production in Q3 and deliveries. His projections were over 8,000 VINs assigned in Q3.
Assumptions: (sorry no hard data) that many sigS for European delivery produced in Q2 were delivered in Q3 (Norway alone reports near 1,000 deliveries in Q3). There appears to be a 'push' by TM to get many of the 85s and particularly 85P+ delivered the last two weeks in September and end of quarter sales of loaners at the SCs. I believe it is reasonable to predict a minimum of 6,000 Q3 deliveries of high GM vehicles. That would be at least 10% above guidance from Q2.

Personally, I believe the number to be closer to 6,500.

Last edited:
We have had a few people mention store visits where employees mentioned (or didn't deny) production numbers of 700/week achieved in Q3. But we haven't had much discussion on this.

I for one would not take this as a reliable data point. Unless *every* store employee is saying it, or a regional-or-higher employee is saying it. Otherwise it just sounds like one employee who might have the number wrong, or heard some number from somewhere, or got mixed up, or whatever else.

____

This is not to say that I don't think it's up to 700/wk, just that one retail employee is not reliable evidence. I happen to think the VIN assignments are probably roughly accurate.

A norwegian salesguy said it was 500 a week, and 200 of them to Europe.
This guy also said Toyota gave 50 billion(!) dollars in Tesla and that Mercedes owned 10% of the shares.
He said aswell that Solarcity also only provided superchargers with panels, and denied that they could set up at private homes.
When asked if Musk worked at Tesla or at SpaceX, he replied that he was kinda the face of Tesla, and didnt really work there. He could not answear if Tesla used the same kind of battery technology as other car companies. This guy was speaking at a conference infront of alot of Norwegian politicans and I was there. He said alot of other bullshit aswell as that the Leaf and BMW had 300 km range. (They have 170-200 km?) When Tesla send out their employes, the need to know the facts.

Last edited:
This guy also said Toyota gave 50 billion(!) dollars in Tesla and that Mercedes owned 10% of the shares.
He said aswell that Solarcity also only provided superchargers with panels, and denied that they could set up at private homes.
When asked if Musk worked at Tesla or at SpaceX, he replied that he was kinda the face of Tesla, and didnt really work there. He could not answear if Tesla used the same kind of battery technology as other car companies. This guy was speaking at a conference infront of alot of Norwegian politicans and I was there. He said alot of other bullshit aswell as that the Leaf and BMW had 300 km range. (They have 170-200 km?) When Tesla send out their employes, the need to know the facts.

Hi Norse,

So if I understand you correctly, the "Norwegian sales guy" is a Tesla employee? And is essentially disseminating The type of inaccurate information that Tesla has fought such an uphill battle to correct? And he's speaking to movers, shakers and decision makers that impact policy decisions? All I can say is Ouch! Norse, are you available to train this guy?

ZOMG!! even a hobby investor would know better than that.. This guy should be fired. Please escalate..

Hi Norse,

So if I understand you correctly, the "Norwegian sales guy" is a Tesla employee? And is essentially disseminating The type of inaccurate information that Tesla has fought such an uphill battle to correct? And he's speaking to movers, shakers and decision makers that impact policy decisions? All I can say is Ouch! Norse, are you available to train this guy?

I did, and I do everyday. Especially taxi-drivers. To me it is important to spread the word about the tight connection to Solarcity since solar energy is important to help EV cars become more friendly for the environment. Anyways Tesla should hire from TMC, even the clueless guys here knows more about the car.

As we head into Q3 earnings, here's some of my thoughts on TSLA and how growth trajectory is so important. (ps., thanks to all those fighting to keep the quality of posts high on this thread.)

Why growth trajectory is so important
Tesla's breath-taking revenue growth
Q2 Earnings Report
Q3 Earnings Report
China
Data Points

DaveT, your latest megapost was brilliant. May I recommend that you share this and future megaposts as well on the the Long Term Price Movements thread. Usually I don't have time to view this Short Term thread (too much noise for me to track on a daily bases, close to 11,000 posts now). Hoping the Moderator won't mind a double post, however your megaposts are clearly long term inspirational. Thank you and others at TMC for sharing your insights.
Best,
Words of HABIT

Been looking at the pre-Q2 options costs and volatility. The volatility was downright insane before Q2 earnings, ~190% according to the thinkBack history in thinkorswim (caveat, new to the tool, I could be misinterpreting it). In contrast, the IV is in the ~80% range today for the Nov8 options. Looks like it started in the 70-80 range a couple weeks before Q2 and rose to the 190s just before earnings, so presumably we'd see the same pattern this time around?

Last edited:
Been looking at the pre-Q2 options costs and volatility. The volatility was downright insane before Q2 earnings, ~190% according to the thinkBack history in thinkorswim (caveat, new to the tool, I could be misinterpreting it). In contrast, the IV is in the ~80% range today for the Nov8 options. Looks like it started in the 70-80 range a couple weeks before Q2 and rose to the instance 190s just before earnings, so presumably we'd see the same pattern this time around?

So how would one play this?

Status
Not open for further replies.