TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Should I be concerned with a low VIN that’s been around the country?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Vaxe, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Vaxe

Vaxe Member

Tesla called me today to work out pickup details and when I asked for an earlier pickup date, the sales advisor said it’s currently in transit.

As I am picking up from the Fremont plant, I asked why it’s in transit if the car is built there, and he said that’s just what the system is telling him.

VIN is 31521. Could this be a reject?

• Funny x 1
  2. ponzu

ponzu Member

Low VIN in and by itself is not an issue, as has been discussed in other threads. My car was built on 6/16 and got a 27xxx VIN assigned.

As far as "in transit", that can mean anything or nothing. Ask your ISA to get you the birthday of your car and don't let them tell you they can't. Mine (Eddie) had to go to his mentor (Jackie), who got the info, which he relayed to me.

3. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

Why do you think that the VIN has been around the country.
    In transit can mean a number of things. I don't expect that they drive the car from the factory to the Delivery Center, I'm sure that it probably has to from one lot to another and the paperwork has to be updated before it appears at the Delivery Center.

Chill.

4. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

It is not even that low of a number. Keep in mind that they are supposedly building them faster so you might see bigger gaps in the VIN numbers

5. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Member

Just take a good look at the car as you should anyway and don’t worry about it.
    If only people knew how often regular car dealers swap, repair, and a host of other things. Probably why they avoid transparency so much.
    Ignorance=Bliss

6. M3Denver

M3Denver Member

Ponzu
    I would be very very concerned if my car was built in 2016, do you have panel gap, paint issues, I assume it was built by hand as the early ones were? :) ;)

• Funny x 1
  7. 40milecommuter

Maybe it's a showroom car that they are shipping back to sell. Maybe they are swapping out all showroom cars with newer VINs because of the new seats. Maybe none of this is true.........:eek::D:p

8. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

30K+ is a low vin?? (mine is 2k)

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  9. Henchman

Henchman Member

That's not a low VIN#.
    My God.
    The drama

• Like x 7
    • Funny x 3
  10. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.42.2

Since the OP knows it's VIN 31521, we know it wasn't built in 2016. :)

In Transit might just be the code they are using for all those cars sitting in lots, waiting to be delivered in July.

• Like x 1
  11. pcpro

pcpro Member

That is not a low vin. nothing to worry about

12. ponzu

ponzu Member

That's funny, I think.

13. dendenyc

dendenyc Member

262XX and my car was built 6/18, I think they just staple on the first VIN badge the bots pick out the basket.

• Informative x 1
  14. David L

David L Member

30k is not low! Mine's in the 9k, built at the end of March, and I've been very happy with it.

15. Darren Donovan

Bad advice, especially when it comes to a Tesla vehicle. The buyer needs to know EVERYTHING about the history of the car, so he can set his expectations accordingly. Tesla is not very forthcoming with what's been done on a used vehicle.

16. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Member

And car dealerships are, even on a NEW vehicle? LMAO! :D
    (based on first hand experience, not speculation)

17. adaptabl

adaptabl Member

Maybe rejected by a previous buyer and "reworked"? Check it out very carefully.

18. adaptabl

adaptabl Member

Maybe rejected by a previous buyer and "reworked"? Check it out very carefully.

19. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.42.2

There's nothing to indicate the car has been around the country, was rejected or needed rework. It's just "in transit"..meaning it is probably sitting in a lot, waiting for July. Once July hits, there will be thousands of deliveries.

20. Vaxe

Vaxe Member

Thanks everyone for the response. Based on Model 3 VINs (@Model3VINs) on Twitter, this VIN was registered in late April.

Does Tesla register the VIN while the vehicle is in production, or after once everything’s completed? After reading all the horror stories here I just don’t want to be sold a previously rejected then reworked car.

Reserved 4/18 and picking up on 7/2.