Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I be concerned with a low VIN that’s been around the country?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla called me today to work out pickup details and when I asked for an earlier pickup date, the sales advisor said it’s currently in transit.

As I am picking up from the Fremont plant, I asked why it’s in transit if the car is built there, and he said that’s just what the system is telling him.

VIN is 31521. Could this be a reject?

• Funny
Reactions: gaswalla
Low VIN in and by itself is not an issue, as has been discussed in other threads. My car was built on 6/16 and got a 27xxx VIN assigned.

As far as "in transit", that can mean anything or nothing. Ask your ISA to get you the birthday of your car and don't let them tell you they can't. Mine (Eddie) had to go to his mentor (Jackie), who got the info, which he relayed to me.

Why do you think that the VIN has been around the country.
In transit can mean a number of things. I don't expect that they drive the car from the factory to the Delivery Center, I'm sure that it probably has to from one lot to another and the paperwork has to be updated before it appears at the Delivery Center.

Chill.

Ponzu
I would be very very concerned if my car was built in 2016, do you have panel gap, paint issues, I assume it was built by hand as the early ones were? :) ;)
Since the OP knows it's VIN 31521, we know it wasn't built in 2016. :)

In Transit might just be the code they are using for all those cars sitting in lots, waiting to be delivered in July.

Reactions: TT97
Just take a good look at the car as you should anyway and don’t worry about it.
If only people knew how often regular car dealers swap, repair, and a host of other things. Probably why they avoid transparency so much.
Ignorance=Bliss

Bad advice, especially when it comes to a Tesla vehicle. The buyer needs to know EVERYTHING about the history of the car, so he can set his expectations accordingly. Tesla is not very forthcoming with what's been done on a used vehicle.