Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I be concerned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, I'm a a fresh newbie this is my first post. I'm looking at buying a 2014 model s 85 and it has 120,500 miles on it and he says at full charge it says range is 222 miles. Is that normal degradation or should I be concerned?

I tell everyone whom ask me about my P85D
You are talking about your extremely high end expensive finnicky sports car from the first couple of years of a brand new car manufacturer. That is a certain set of conditions, which will make it expensive to own. That's fine. That's your choice, but it's not average middle priced cars as they are now in 2023. This is a pretty grasping kind of red herring to try to use this as an example.

Normal society cannot afford EVs; they're just more expensive then ICE, period.
A little bit more expensive in up-front sticker price now, which then has a reasonable crossover point within several years.

You missed the whole point... I think we've hijacked this thread far enough. Feel free to keep your perspective.
No, I got what your point was. It's just blatantly dishonest and not realistic. This isn't my "perspective"; I'm just calling out the B.S.

Upvote 0
@dwbv I would quote you, but it seems others have taken care of that quite well. I did the math back in 2019 (when I bought my first Tesla) and I saved a lot of $$. I traded in a Tacoma (nice truck, loved it) for a model 3 SR+ thinking that if I ever needed a truck I would just rent one from Home Depot. Theory worked, I had to rent a truck roughly twice a year... cost me about $100 a year so not bad. The fuel savings was insane. In Florida (where I lived at the time) electricity was 7.5 cents per KWH... some of the cheapest in the nation I believe. You are buying into propaganda my friend, hopefully you will understand some day; though you may be in the part of the population that will drive their ICE cars into the sunset!

@Nexeus Man, your thread got hijacked! I apologize. So back to your question: a new Model S P85 should have gotten ~265 miles new. It was probably closer to 250 I would think... so if 9 years later you are seeing 222 that is really good IMHO. If I purchased a Model S that was a decade old I would be sure to have ~$10k in the bank to cover a new battery. Just be ready in case of failure. My philosophy has always been to either have $$ in the bank and buy used, or buy new with a warranty. Used is a bit of a gamble but it can really pay off!

Good luck on your purchase @Nexeus man, and welcome to the Tesla life where all the ladies be swooning over our cars.... lol na... but at least they are smart and fast! Hopefully your dates are too! ... Unless you are married then.. well, just make those other ladies jealous.

Reactions: gt2690b
Upvote 0
You are buying into propaganda my friend, hopefully you will understand some day; though you may be in the part of the population that will drive their ICE cars into the sunset!

No propaganda being followed. I'm just realistic that EVs are not going to replace ICE anytime soon. Plus, I will most likely always have an ICE until I die. My P85D is nothing but a "toy" at this point. Still hanging onto my A8 and not letting go anytime soon. The luxury amenities and build quality in that thing will trump any MS all day long.

@Nexeus I do apologize for contributing to your thread being hijacked. I think you should whole-heartedly experience what it feels like to own a Tesla EV. I don't think you will be disappointed. Just keep in mind what you're getting into and enjoy it for what it is for as long as it lasts. Good luck!

Upvote 0
Yes, it COULD be. But it could also range from anywhere between free to $20K. I don't think your $5K repair is representative of most people's battery repair. Sure there have been some inexpensive repair attempts made by shops that I won't state here, but they're generally likened to jury-rigging and not long term fixes. Tesla charges about $12K-$16K for a reman battery replacement, so I think your post understates the potential cost of repairs.

I read through the link and I don't see where it implies that most people drive a car for 200K miles. It states that the average age fleet is 12 years and that vehicles can last well over 200K miles, but that doesn't mean that is most. It would mean that most people would have to drive over 16K miles a year but according to a Google search the average US driver adds 13K miles per year. How this relates to Tesla, I would be very curious to know how many 2012-2015 Model S owners have hit 200K miles without a powertrain issue or a HV battery/drive unit replacement. I'd love to see a comparison of the moving average repair costs between the 2012-2015 Model S and the 2016+ Model S, and the Model 3/Y. I want to see how much more reliable the newer revised designs are compared to the earlier iterations.
@wk057 Today, is $5k about right for main battery repair service with a warranty that you include? I thought it was. If there is special transport involved then it might be closer to $7k?

Upvote 0
Lol, let's use real math.

We'll start with your plaid example even though talking about cars at the tip-top of the performance spectrum with super small sales is not particularly relevant to a broader discussion.

Assumptions:

Average annual mileage for a car in the us (US Federal Highway Administration): 13,500
Average US gasoline price for regular unleaded (AAA, May 2023): $3.53
Average US electricity costs per kWh (US EIA, March 2023): $0.1585

Starting with the Plaid vs S8:
Plaid base MSRP (including destination, order fee, etc): $110,130
S8 base MSRP : $120,500

Difference: $-10,370. The plaid is already $10k cheaper to own on day one, so this comparison is truly stupid.

Factoring in fuel costs, 13,500 miles in the Plaid at average electric rates and ~3miles per kWh = $713.25
13,500 miles in the S8 at 18mpg EPA combined and $3.53/gal: $2647.50
So, every year you drive the Plaid you save an additional $1934. Say you keep the car 5 years, that's $9,670 on top of the $10,370 MSRP difference, so ~$20k savings over 5 years.

But again, this is a stupid example.

Let's look at cars people actually drive and are buying in significant numbers, like a Model Y vs. say an Audi Q5.
Model Y MSRP: $49,130
Audi Q5 base MSRP: $45,990

Difference: $3,140. That's of course assuming you DON'T qualify for the $7,500 tax credit, which the vast majority do, but we'll let it go since not everybody does.

Annual fuel costs in a Model Y assuming 4mi/kwh: $535
Annual fuel costs in a Q5 at EPA 25mpg combined: $1906

Annual savings: $1371. Break-even period: 2.3 years or 31,050 miles.

Let's say "blah blah blah Tesla is not a luxury car why are you comparing it to Audi that's stupid" and do a comparison with say a base Model Y including the tax credit almost everyone shopping these cars is eligible for and the volume-leader best possible fuel economy similarly equipped Toyota RAV4 XLE Hybrid. We'll close our eyes for a minute and pretend these are comparable cars.

Model Y MSRP: $49,130 (minus $7500 tax credit) = $41,630
RAV4 XLE Hybrid MSRP: $34,070

Difference: $7,560

Annual fuel costs in a Model Y assuming 4mi/kwh: $535
Annual Fuel costs in RAV4 at EPA 40mpg combined: $1191

Annual savings: $656. Break-even period: 11.5 years or 155,250 miles.

I'll leave it to the reader to decide if a RAV4 vs Model Y is a fair comparison or not.

This is easy enough to do with just about any other car. Bolt vs. Corolla, Model 3 vs. Camry or BMW 3 series, etc etc. You'll see similar results. For the average driver most EVs pay back their up-front premium in the first few years compared to a similar ICE.

Don't forget that there is a net good environmental impact for EVs, which have zero CO2 emissions. And time saved too since there are fewer things to maintain. Tesla's Supercharger network is powered either directly or indirectly with renewables like wind and solar energy now, thankfully.

Upvote 0
@wk057 Today, is $5k about right for main battery repair service with a warranty that you include? I thought it was. If there is special transport involved then it might be closer to $7k?
He doesn't have one general price quote on an unknown vehicle.

From that comment:

"Every case is different, and depends on stock/availability of the target pack at the time and our actual acquisition costs on those packs."
"The upgrade cost range for the Model S is literally about $4,000 to $40,000... which is a pretty useless metric,"

Upvote 0
The financials with an EV work very well if the resale fits.
If we accept that the average car will go 200k miles eventually, the resale on the EVs will be higher than a comparable ICE because of the gas savings which will go the entire 200k miles.
Example $40k for EV (theoretical, yes you can spend a lot less.) $30k for comparable ICE.
Say $2k saved per year based on average miles driven.
Each person sells car after 5 years
EV owner actually saved the exact extra cost (trying to be both easy and realistic).
The EV sells for $20k vs $15k for the ICE. Not just because of the same percentage, but also because the used car buyer saves $2k per year for the 5 years they own it.

Now - who is the more value conscious person - the used or new car buyer? Obviously the used car buyer. The used car buyer is smarter financially also so they really value that $2k saved per year.

In practice, the Leaf had such a poor range and a poor battery design that it screwed early resale so you can absolutely find numbers that say this isn't true. But have a good battery life and a good replacement cost and that all will fade into memory.

I paid $24k net after TC for my 2013 Leaf. Put 60k miles over 6 years and sold for $6k. I had 5c KWH electricity - so we can call it free and $4 gas was pretty standard averaged over that time. So maybe $1500 saved per year since my mileage per year was low. So $9k saved meant a new $15k car. So $9k for 6 years on a car that did have zero maintenance outside of tires.

I think anyone doing math can say that that is fairly cheap and well below average TCO costs. And that was with a terrible battery so the resale got crushed.

We bought a 2019 model 3LR for just under $40k after TC. I can sell it for $25k pretty easily I would think today. Probably saved $6k in gas secondary to reduced mileage during Covid and my higher electricity costs now (10 cents) and higher supercharging cost. So that is $9k for 4 years for a new (fast, fun, techy) car which again is well below average TCO. Just replaced the battery for $120 so not zero maintenance costs.

My 2 examples and, yes, I ignored the time value of money (or interest if you do that sort of thing).

Now I do have an S also. I paid $80k for it. It has 110k miles on it. If you want to compare to a 20 mpg car, that is about $20k in fuel savings. I can sell for probably $25k, so $35k for 8 years and more like $38k with maintenance/repairs. That is probably roughly average TCO for new car. Certainly not horrible and better than a higher end sedan most of the time. But not a slam dunk value argument for sure.

Now - if my S lasts me another 8 years with original battery, then that is another $20k in fuel savings. An outlier because I kept it. But still a good value. If, a $15k battery gives it another 8 years - it continues to be a pretty big win.

• Informative
Reactions: Dayreg
Upvote 0
Hello everyone, I'm a a fresh newbie this is my first post. I'm looking at buying a 2014 model s 85 and it has 120,500 miles on it and he says at full charge it says range is 222 miles. Is that normal degradation or should I be concerned?
That degradation seems a little high new it was 265 miles, My friend with a 2014 with similar mileage has just under 250 miles range on a 100% charge. My 2014 has 228 miles range on a 90% charge, but it's not got nearly the miles that you are working with. We recently traded a 2015 85D in and it had about 80K miles and a 90% charge was still 232 miles

Upvote 0
No propaganda being followed. I'm just realistic that EVs are not going to replace ICE anytime soon. Plus, I will most likely always have an ICE until I die. My P85D is nothing but a "toy" at this point. Still hanging onto my A8 and not letting go anytime soon. The luxury amenities and build quality in that thing will trump any MS all day long.

@Nexeus I do apologize for contributing to your thread being hijacked. I think you should whole-heartedly experience what it feels like to own a Tesla EV. I don't think you will be disappointed. Just keep in mind what you're getting into and enjoy it for what it is for as long as it lasts. Good luck!
lol! Like I said, ride your ICE into the sunset friend. The future is not for you.

Upvote 0