Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I duct tape the passenger door to keep it closed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Somewhat OT: I don't know about everyone else's car, but my P85D refuses to let me move if I have the driver's door open. It's super annoying, actually. If I open the door while in drive or reverse at a low speed (like creeping up to grab the newspaper on the way out of the driveway, still fully seated) the car will jump to park by itself. This is one feature I really really dislike because I do run across occasions where I would like to have the door open at low speeds.

It doesn't seem to care about other doors, however... in an absentminded moment, I thought I heard the rear passenger door close after a swing by pickup (was already in drive ignoring the beeping to begin with) and I started to pull away before it was closed. Car didn't slam into park like it does with the driver's door.

That said, I've never had any issues with the doors popping open by themselves on any of my Model S or loaners. *shrugs*

Ditto I do the same thing at the mailbox, ATM, and parking very close to curbs on the driver's side. Pretty annoying how it slams it into park but I guess it's a safety feature that might have some merit?

Ditto I do the same thing at the mailbox, ATM, and parking very close to curbs on the driver's side. Pretty annoying how it slams it into park but I guess it's a safety feature that might have some merit?

I'll have to try this, I don't remember that ever happening for me. In fact, I kinda remember hitting one of our chickens in the head with the door while I was moving the car into the shade while doing my cam install

I'll have to try this, I don't remember that ever happening for me. In fact, I kinda remember hitting one of our chickens in the head with the door while I was moving the car into the shade while doing my cam install

It takes it a second to kick in. It will let you move the car for a brief moment, then you'll get the somethings wrong beep and it will abruptly throw it in park. Nice on the chickens. We will have some this fall or early spring after finishing our tractor build

Somewhat OT: I don't know about everyone else's car, but my P85D refuses to let me move if I have the driver's door open. It's super annoying, actually. If I open the door while in drive or reverse at a low speed (like creeping up to grab the newspaper on the way out of the driveway, still fully seated) the car will jump to park by itself. This is one feature I really really dislike because I do run across occasions where I would like to have the door open at low speeds.

It doesn't seem to care about other doors, however... in an absentminded moment, I thought I heard the rear passenger door close after a swing by pickup (was already in drive ignoring the beeping to begin with) and I started to pull away before it was closed. Car didn't slam into park like it does with the driver's door.

That said, I've never had any issues with the doors popping open by themselves on any of my Model S or loaners. *shrugs*

I have noticed that if you are in drive, and open the door, it will go into park.
But if you are in park, have the door open, then go into drive, I can drive slowly with the door open. (you get a warning to proceed with caution on the dash). It will jam into park over 5mph in this scenario. But it lets me pick up those newspapers on the driveway.

This happens if your seat belt is unbuckled, you're traveling < 5 mph, and your weight shifts in the seat for even a microsecond. I don't recall it ever doing it in drive, but definitely know it does it in reverse.

- - - Updated - - -

I have noticed that if you are in drive, and open the door, it will go into park.
But if you are in park, have the door open, then go into drive, I can drive slowly with the door open. (you get a warning to proceed with caution on the dash). It will jam into park over 5mph in this scenario. But it lets me pick up those newspapers on the driveway.

Ahh, this explains it.

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this but my passenger door sometimes makes a weird clunk noise when opened or closed. Opening it again it will sound normal, but it has to sit for a while and then it will make the noise again. I questioned this during a recent service call and one technician said he has seen this before and I should ask the manager, which I did, but he said it was because the passenger door was heavier than the driver door. The technician seemed to know something but couldn't say anything else when I questioned him after.

This happen to anyone else?

Glad to hear they are addressing your issue urgently. But as an aside, I do believe that either Tesla SCs already have or are very close to being overwhelmed with workload, causing some customers to get frustrated.

My local SC is always busy and it can take a month or more to get anything non-urgent looked at. That's fine now but is pretty unacceptable by other automaker standards who have the luxury of a dealer/service network. I hope they open new SCs and/or hire more technicians at the same speed they are selling cars and opening Superchargers. If they're going to talk the talk about not going the dealer route, they need to walk the walk and provide the same level of service. For example, I can get my Lexus looked at within a day or two of calling - for any reason. I would chalk this down as one of the negatives in the Tesla buying decision checklist.

Glad to hear they are addressing your issue urgently. But as an aside, I do believe that either Tesla SCs already have or are very close to being overwhelmed with workload, causing some customers to get frustrated.

My local SC is always busy and it can take a month or more to get anything non-urgent looked at. That's fine now but is pretty unacceptable by other automaker standards who have the luxury of a dealer/service network. I hope they open new SCs and/or hire more technicians at the same speed they are selling cars and opening Superchargers. If they're going to talk the talk about not going the dealer route, they need to walk the walk and provide the same level of service. For example, I can get my Lexus looked at within a day or two of calling - for any reason. I would chalk this down as one of the negatives in the Tesla buying decision checklist.

It is great that Tesla is selling more cars, but they now need to expand their service centres, or hire more staff for each location.
I would count this as a negative now also. I haven't experienced this yet, but I know both SC's in my area are always busy with at least a week waiting period.

It is great that Tesla is selling more cars, but they now need to expand their service centres, or hire more staff for each location.
I would count this as a negative now also. I haven't experienced this yet, but I know both SC's in my area are always busy with at least a week waiting period.

I'd take a week. I just set an appointment for 3 weeks out, it's not an urgent appointment, but still... (my parking sensors are acting up).

Closing service on Saturdays had made things worse. I've had a number of times I didn't mind driving the 90 miles to take the car to them on Saturday but because they were closed I had to use the ranger to pick my car up and drop off a loaner.

It's really getting ridiculous in metro areas. For example, there are probably 5-10 technicians each in of the 2 service centers in NJ. So these 20 or so people have to manage any issues with, I don't know.. 5 to 6 thousand cars (just a guess) in our area? This number will probably double in a year with the launch of a new Model X. And if that car has any new model issues (very likely) like falcon wing doors or whatever, say goodbye to getting your lowly Model S looked at any time soon.

"So your center console phone charger is not working? Let's see... the earliest appointment we have is in 2 months. Sounds good?"

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this but my passenger door sometimes makes a weird clunk noise when opened or closed. ...

This happen to anyone else?

Is it like a single cowbell note?
If so, yes.
Pearlie May developed this habit (or talent) after a few thousand miles. Non-urgent appointment, front passenger door inner panel had to come off. This got me a loaner of a white, less pearly S that had the exciting new TACC!
100% resolved.

I've read that one of the reasons Texas cited for not allowing Tesla direct sales was because of Tesla's insufficient service network within the state to properly service all of its vehicles. I can't disagree with this logic. Tesla is heading towards a world of hurt if this doesn't improve. Unfortunately, I don't think they have the financial resources to make this better in the short term.

I'd take a week. I just set an appointment for 3 weeks out, it's not an urgent appointment, but still... (my parking sensors are acting up).

Mine are too, rear right. The first time service couldn't reproduce it, this time they said there is a service bulletin, apparently the paint on them is too thick. They are taking another stab at it tomorrow.

Mine are too, rear right. The first time service couldn't reproduce it, this time they said there is a service bulletin, apparently the paint on them is too thick. They are taking another stab at it tomorrow.

Good to know, thanks.
Mine is rear center. I took photos of three separate occasions, as it's sporadic. It drives my wife nuts, otherwise I probably would've waited until something more serous was wrong.