TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Should I upgrade to MX 100D?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by viking2k12, Jan 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. viking2k12

viking2k12 Member

Put the order in for a 90D. I got the option of upgrading to 100D but have to give up supercharging and ventilated seats. What would you select? Tried searching in the forum but did not see any discussion about 100D vs 90D? If there is please redirect me there.

I originally selected a 75D, then upgraded to 90D for some extra range. Having 100D would be the ultimate range but I am not sure how much my need on superchargers will be. I rarely do long trips, but with the MX that can change.

2. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

#2 brkaus, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    Here is the most compelling reason to switch to the 100D (from the Model S thread)

* 60kWh cars have 62.4 kWh usable
    * 75kWh cars have 72.6 kWh usable
    * 90kWh cars have 81.8 kWh usable
    * 100kWh cars have 98.4 kWh usable

Look at cost of actual supercharging use for your location. A trip from Los Angeles to New York would cost under $100 at the current rates.

The upside of unlimited supercharger- no telling if there will be a huge resale boost for a unlimited supercharging car or not.

I'm still undecided on my order...

3. Tam

Tam Active Member

75kWh for 237miles->90kWh for 275 miles = 20 miles

90kWh for 275 miles -> 100D for 295 miles = 38 miles.

Range is king so currently, 295 miles is not comparable to an ICE.

You do know that your energy consumption will be higher in winter so you won't get 295 miles in real life usually, don't you?

And you do know that you don't always charge fully to 295 miles but only to 90% to avoid premature battery degradation, don't you?

Thus, if you can afford it, you should get a highest range that Tesla can sell you.

On convenience side:

1) More range, you might be able to skip a supercharger.
    2) Faster miles accumulated when Supercharge (same rate with non-Superchargers)

4. outie

outie Active Member

Depends how much you value unlimited SpC and ventilated seats, it's obviously different person to person. I'd definitely go with 100D.

5. Blastphemy

Blastphemy Member

The ventilated seats aren't worth it, but then you're still paying $4,500 for the Premium Package and getting less from it.

How often do you really expect to supercharge? Remember that you'll still get an annual allowance before having to pay for it.

6. viking2k12

viking2k12 Member

Ventilated seats is not a big deal. But Supercharging might be, and resale value is a consideration too.

7. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

Free Supercharging is overrated. For most folks it is less than $100 value per year.. or around $600 for the lifetime of any luxury car for the original owners. On the other hand, range is king. Especially for X, where you might only get around 200 miles on a 90D and 225 on a 100D on a cold windy day.

That 25 extra miles on a cold day to get you comfortably to a Supercharger on a subzero day - priceless. For everything else (including payment for your SC fees) you have MasterCard.

• Funny x 1
  8. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

Another thing to consider is that you paid $500 per range mile going from the 75D to the 90D. Going from the 90D to the 100D will cost you $78.95 per range mile. If you don't care about the free supercharging, the 90D doesn't make financial sense anymore.

9. ALLMYNE

ALLMYNE Member

In the same boat and been struggling which way to go but for me personally I chose to stay the course with the MX90D
    Reasons:
    1) travel a bunch so will love the free charging, mapped my travels and 90D range easily gets me to each Superchargung destination without anxiety (170 miles or less)
    2) really want ventilated seats even though their performance seems to be debatable, rather have then not, its hotter then heck here in the summer
    3) most importantly to me is im sure in the next 24 months or less there will be a larger battery and at that time I will probably jump on board
    4) this is my 1st Tesla so I'm sure I'll be trading in to newer once significant changes are offered

• Helpful x 1
  10. number12

number12 Active Member

Upgrade. Newer/bigger battery I would think trumps free SCing resale wise.

11. Quesder

Quesder Member

Sorry, what do you mean? Trump?

• Funny x 1
  12. number12

number12 Active Member

>
    Is better than

13. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

So you are saying Trump is better than? who? Obama?

I beg to differ

• Love x 1
  14. Screwbal

Screwbal Member

Don't forget too if you look @ the 2017 SC map they have intentions of greatly increasing the number of SCs which means less super long legs. It doesn't mean we want to stop every hour but knowing there's fewer very long stints will be nice to easy range concerns. I've been having this debate myself and I've mentioned it elsewhere here but I'm sticking with my 90D.

• Like x 1
  15. hollywood

hollywood Member

I would keep unlimited supercharging. I have a feeling that either the new 90 batteries are just 100s that are lined and can be upgraded later, or at the very least swappable (again just speculating)

It's a 3k upgrade normally, but losing vent seats and unlimited SC... It's going to be a greater cost

• Like x 1
  16. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

We're going to need a new word for the card game analogy.

17. Quesder

Quesder Member

I don't think 90d is software limited 100d, and guess how much does it cost to swap? I estimated it to be $26000 in ten year

• Like x 1
  18. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

They have enough 90 batteries in reserve. I think the 90kwh option will be gone when those batteries are.

19. RonPrx

RonPrx Member

I modified my order to 100D. Free SC for approximately 1K miles is more than sufficient for normal city driving. Would rather have the extended range. Ventilated seats have mixed reviews. In SoCal they really wouldn't be used anyway. Ordered on 12/26. Still no VIN number with an approximate delivery date of March/April. Larger concern is reading all of the build issues. Continues to make me nervous. Will I get one of the good ones, or one of the bad ones? Just don't understand why they can't solve the build issues? Its almost as if they have guys just slapping the thing together and then let the Service Centers/Rangers resolve?

20. Brandon332

Brandon332 Member

Ventilated seats have never worked for me or the many others I've heard from. They are getting rid of them because they never worked. The loss of seats should not be considered any kind of material loss. :)