Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should the Gen 3 to be a smaller version of the Model S but otherwise identical?

Should the Gen 3 exterior simply be a smaller version of the Model S?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They dont necessarily need to be able to fit three adults in the rear seat, but the ability to put a rear facing child seat in the middle between the two font seats is critical. This is a MAJOR issue with the Volt, and has prevented a lot of sales. The guys over on GM-VOLT.com complain about it all the time.

Interesting, I've never put a rear facing seat in the middle as it would be a huge PITA to put a child in/out of it.

I expect intitial price point in the high 40's or 50's. Just wishing in one hand.:rolleyes:

There may be a Performance version (a la P85 Model S) that is closer to $60K which would compete with the S4 and M3. For the starting price point, though, I think Tesla is hoping for a number closer to $30-$35K to compete head-on with A4, 3-series, TL and IS 250.

Tesla has drum beat "$30,000" so much now that I don't think they will get significantly away from it.

But they have some ways:

Inflation: So in ~5 years we are looking at most; probably: $35,000 (~3% inflation for 6 years)
Tax break: As vigorously as they spout the Model S price with $7,500 tax incentive we can easily add that on top: $42,500.

I honestly am expecting a base price of $37k to $42k. There will probably be a de facto base price increase with a hard to ignore option (think Tech Package) for about $5k. So probably in the mid 30s with the federal tax rebate. I expect there to be about 50k - 75k tax rebate slots left for Tesla when Gen III starts shipping.

Consider TCO that will be really close to a Camry price over 5 years. And equal to a somewhat optioned BMW 3/Audi A4 base price. It will sell like bananas if they can pull it off.

With the recent LEAF price reduction I think it is doable. VW quality interior (not cheap, not great, probably not quite BMW/Audi level).

The performance version is going to be $75k+. And make the Model S look even more portly than it already is, and seem quite slow.

NHTSA says that is the safest place for it.

Not only is it the safest place, but due to the fact that modern car seats are huge, most will not fit behind either of the front seats if the occupant is not very short. I had to try 5 different rear facing seats before I found one small enough to fit behind the passenger seat in my volt and still allow my 5 foot 8 inch wife to be comfortable in it. I was unable to find any rear facing seats that would fit behind the drivers seat and still allow me to fit in the car.

Ahh yeah, that is a huge problem! Our van got 99% of the driving duty when we had kids in rear facing seats....

Not only is it the safest place, but due to the fact that modern car seats are huge, most will not fit behind either of the front seats if the occupant is not very short. I had to try 5 different rear facing seats before I found one small enough to fit behind the passenger seat in my volt and still allow my 5 foot 8 inch wife to be comfortable in it. I was unable to find any rear facing seats that would fit behind the drivers seat and still allow me to fit in the car.

The performance version is going to be $75k+. And make the Model S look even more portly than it already is, and seem quite slow.

I sure hope not. Seems a bit excessive to double the price for perf. I would think more like a 35% premium a la Model S ($94,900 / 69,900 = 1.358), so let's say 1.35 * $40K = $54K. (Prices not including any rebate.) Plus, they did say the margins would be lower on Gen III.

No way, not even close to possible. Plus Tesla needs to keep some element of exclusivity as well.

Agree on the element of exclusivity. I think as long as as the price starts under $40k (consider inflation) Elon's goal of having a car for the masses will be satisfied. The average new car price today is almost $31k and that will certainly be higher by the time Gen3 comes out. Upper price will be close to $60k with the largest battery size and performance package.

Franz von Holzhausen made this comment to Worldcarfan web site in the past couple of days:- Telsa has started work on their entry level sedan. The designer said the car won't look like a smaller Model S because we "do not want a unit face like Audi."

I don't understand the categories. How could it be possible to get more mainstream than the current Model S styling?

I expect the GenIII to look like a scaled down Model S complete with a cramped interior. I would prefer it to be something other than a three-box design so that interior room isn't sacrificed to the gods of boring.

Franz von Holzhausen made this comment to Worldcarfan web site in the past couple of days:- Telsa has started work on their entry level sedan. The designer said the car won't look like a smaller Model S because we "do not want a unit face like Audi."

Interesting. Do you have a link to his comment? I am neutral about the current nose but would welcome something different.

It all depends on how you define the words "scaled down". The Gen III could retain the overall "look" of the S but the proportions could be slightly altered to increase rear seat headroom.

I suspect it may look slightly more "boxy" so as to provide adequate interior room for 5 passengers with a shorter wheelbase than the S.

I suspect it may look slightly more "boxy" so as to provide adequate interior room for 5 passengers with a shorter wheelbase than the S.

Of course, if it's more boxy, aerodynamics go right out the window.

The reason for the three box design is that is the design carriages had over 100 years ago. When cars were first made, they were converted carriages. In the first box the engine replaced the horse. In the second box was the passenger compartment of the carriage. In the third box was the trunk. Aerodynamics weren't important for carriages and the slavish adherence to the carriage style has wasted a lot of energy over the years. Cars are not carriages and they really shouldn't look like them.