Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Show me those Arachnid wheels / Spiders!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I foolishly hit a curb and got some rim rash on the lip of one of my silver arachnids. Any advice on a quick repair? Has anyone tried a touch up paint or something? It is only on the lip...
Can't speak for all service centers, but the SLC service center has someone who repairs rim rash. I don't think it's in-house, but it's the person/business that Tesla uses for their cars when they need rim repair. At least they did back when they actually refurbished CPO's before sale.

Point is, I've had several rims repaired through Tesla service and they came back looking excellent, you could only tell if you really looked. Billing was through Tesla also. Again not sure if all service centers offer this, but worth calling and asking. The only downside was it was a little pricey, but I def got what I paid for. If you only have a little knick, it might not be worth it as, (at least in SLC) it's a flat rate per rim regardless of what amount of repair is needed.

The rims themselves should be ok as long as they’re load rating is decent and the tires are correct

That's the thing, if I recall the rims are not rated for the weight of the X. I may be wrong though. Pretty sure I'm right as if they were rated for the X we'd see them way more often in the wild (with larger sidewall tires on them).

Looks aside, I thought the weight of the X was too much for the Arachnids. That's a dangerous setup.

FUD

That's the thing if I recall the rims are not rated for the weight of the X. I may be wrong though.
Pretty sure I'm right as if they were rated for the X we'd see them way more often in the wild (with larger sidewall tires on them).

The Forged Arachnids are stronger and lighter than the OEM Tesla cast wheels... only taller load rated tires are needed for the Model X :cool:

I foolishly hit a curb and got some rim rash on the lip of one of my silver arachnids. Any advice on a quick repair? Has anyone tried a touch up paint or something? It is only on the lip...

Call the Costa Mesa Service center and ask them for the name of "the guy that does rim rash". He is not Tesla, but does an amazing job for about $100/rim. He comes to you. I had him do some 21" rims on an old tesla and his work was amazing.

Reactions: Litigate28
IMG_E7225.JPG
IMG_E7226.JPG
IMG_E7288.JPG
IMG_E7327.JPG
IMG_E7324.JPG
IMG_E7323.JPG
IMG_E7288.JPG
IMG_7158.PNG
IMG_E7287.JPG

If its minor I do my own repair. I have the official Tesla touch up paint for my rims (dark color) so that the color macthes. I use 1000 grit sand paper and gently sand down as much of the rash area and then apply the paint over it. Its not perfect, but thankfully with the dark rims it hides it fairly well. If you are within 2 feet you will see it but for further its livable.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911