Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Silver Metallic Paint Price Increase.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a Y a few weeks ago. after placing the order I receive the purchase agreement and was provided a very reasonable delivery date. I selected the silver metallic paint because there was no charge for it (white was also a N/C option). I received my VIN immediately after ordering the car. now that I am ready to pick-up the car this week, Tesla now added the $1000 charge to my order (the color prices changed a few days ago). I called the local Tesla rep, who claimed it was outside of their control. Of course I can “walk away,” but I want the car. Is there a way I can someone at Tesla to address this? Thanks in advance

As I said - I’m grateful for the across-the-board fesla price reduction. it would have happened whether I ordered a Model Y or not. the issue is, “Can [clearly they did] or should Tesla raise the price of a n/c item (MSM at the time the order was placed and a purchase agreement was issued)? is it good/acceptable business practice from a brand/image perspective. Regardless of the Tesla across-the-board price reduction impacting all models - can and should they honor the original purchase order (MSM at no charge)? Versus the change they made of $1K after the order was executed and the VIN was assifend?

The answer, no matter how many times you rephrase the question, is no.

You can choose the old price book or the new one. You cannot mix and match. That’s it. This is the only answer.

The “brand/image perspective” angle you seem to be pushing here is not a particularly defensible or reasonable defense. Tesla just lowered the price of your transaction substantially. Like $10k plus substantially. Being mad that it’s not $11k or $12k isn’t really reasonable.

If you want a config under $55k, switch to white. Or take delivery under the new pricing terms.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
Legally, it is definitely questionable whether they can increase the price of an option with a price previously agreed to in writing.
You should read the order agreement before offering any more legal advice. 👍🏻

Tesla will be happy to honor the original terms if that’s what OP wants. It’s 100% their decision. Take the old or the new. Making your own a la carte agreement is not on the table.

Last edited:
Reactions: itch808 and WyoDude
Upvote 1
Order agreement doesn't trump laws which vary by state.
The only legs you would have to stand on to pursue this is the order agreement. Without that, you've got nothing. Even though we have many ridiculous state laws I find it hard to believe there would be a state law anywhere that would force a company to give you a $13K discount instead of the unexpected and extremely generous $12K discount they are offering. What would such a law even look like?

I doubt there is even a state law that would force them to sell you the car at the price in the order agreement. At the very worst, they would have to return your $250:

Limitation of Liability. We are not liable for any incidental, special or consequential damages arising out of this Agreement. Your sole and exclusive remedy under this Agreement will be limited to reimbursement of your Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation Fee.

Upvote 0
Ever think that paint cost was rolled into the increased price. I'm sure Tesla would be happy to honor the old price w free MSM paint if you want. They probably just separated it out. Again you have 2 options, be very very happy w a 12k discount or complain and pay 12k more to save 1k on paint. Up to you.

Reactions: WyoDude
Upvote 0
and remember while the MSM paint was offered for FREE on the 3/Y it was an optional color on the S/X. Never understood that. Makes sense they made that adjustment. But having paid $71K for my 2022 PMY back in Aug I wouldn't bitch about having to pay $1500 for a paint color when I was just given a $12K price reduction.

What's next folks complaining their Trade-In values have tanked?

Upvote 0
I’m not sure why so many people are coming at the OP here. It’s actually an interesting legal question. Can a company lower the overall price but now decide you will be paying for an option they previously agreed was free?
Of course they can. Read the order agreement. There is no “interesting legal question” to ponder here.

Again: Tesla is voluntarily reducing prices and changing the overall pricing book for the car and its options. OP can choose that new pricing structure if they wish, or proceed under the original price book and terms of the sale. OP has all the choice in this matter. There is zero legal basis for Tesla to be compelled to honor some arbitrary mish-mash of the two pricing structures because that’s what OP wants.

Upvote 0
Wins lottery ticket but complains about the Fedex delivery fee to receive the check. When did we raise so many entitled *#$@'s.
I can assure you I’m not entitled at all. The question was a simple one - whether I got a huge discount - like anyone else or not - can (clearly they can) or SHOULD a company (in this case Tesla) charge a customer for something they offered the customer for n/c after the order deposit and on the original invoice sheet as no charge? I’m just curious if this is a standard Tesla practice, and whether others knew the answer.

BTW, it has zilch to do with “entitlement.” The question is relevant regardless of the car price.

Brand, customer satisfaction, deal reputation and consumer perceptions should be important to companies.

Upvote 0
I’m not sure why so many people are coming at the OP here. It’s actually an interesting legal question. Can a company lower the overall price but now decide you will be paying for an option they previously agreed was free?
Thanks - it has nothing to do with greed or entitlement. It’s just a simple question to a peer group regarding whether this is standard or acceptable Tesla business practice. I’d be asking the same question regardless of whether Tesla dropped prices last week or not. Thank you for your time.

Upvote 0
I can assure you I’m not entitled at all. The question was a simple one - whether I got a huge discount - like anyone else or not - can (clearly they can) or SHOULD a company (in this case Tesla) charge a customer for something they offered the customer for n/c after the order deposit and on the original invoice sheet as no charge? I’m just curious if this is a standard Tesla practice, and whether others knew the answer.

BTW, it has zilch to do with “entitlement.” The question is relevant regardless of the car price.

Brand, customer satisfaction, deal reputation and consumer perceptions should be important to companies.
You are full of entitlement. Look it up in websters. You think you are entitled to choose which price you accept and which you don't. You ignore difference in cost structures, and only focus on the MSM because it get's you what you want. It's damn obvious to everyone.

Upvote 0
Thanks - it has nothing to do with greed or entitlement. It’s just a simple question to a peer group regarding whether this is standard or acceptable Tesla business practice. I’d be asking the same question regardless of whether Tesla dropped prices last week or not. Thank you for your time.
Answering the question being asked:

Tesla’s general practice in this case is to pass on overall favorable terms changes to customers that have not taken delivery yet. That’s what they’ve done.

What they DON’T do is let people mix and match new terms and old terms.

For example, you can’t say “thanks, I’ll take the $13k MSRP discount but refuse the increase in the destination fee.” Just like you can’t say “thanks, I’ll take the $13k MSRP discount but refuse the increase for the color I want”.

It’s really very simple. You get the old package or the new package. Thinking you’re somehow entitled to both is… well, entitled.

Upvote 0