Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker radio stuttering?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Updated to 2017.50.3 yesterday (it claimed failure, but the car appears to be running 50.3 and has the auto-sensing wipers (beta)). It seemed like it was doing better with Slacker with my limited use, but I've also learned that only time will tell if it is better or not.

That said, I've had a productive dialog with Slacker Support since I first contacted them December 27th. They shared today that Tesla acknowledged an apparent issue affecting the East Coast LTE service (no issues with 3G, and definitely not WiFi). The thought is that it's a network routing issue on their (Tesla) side. A subsequent update from Slacker Support stated that a configuration change was made around 4pm PST today, with a request to see if the buffering issues still exist.

I tested in my garage for about 30 minutes - WiFi connection disabled, one bar of LTE coverage. It did indeed seem to be working well for me. Buffering was good - always faster than the playback rate in the half hour I was bouncing around stations and songs.

So... Tesla Slacker fans - would be great to hear if anyone notices any similar improvements in buffering after 4pm PST today - and if you are on the East Coast or not. Firmware version might be helpful as well.

Keeping fingers crossed...

As of this afternoon, I'm seeing 1-2Mbps LTE throughput and excellent Slacker streaming quality. It seems some others are alse seeing this as noted in the LTE Throttling thread. This is with one 15 minute drive under my belt. For the past few days, since posting the quoted update, I've been seeing problem-free Slacker streaming, although limited buffer filling due to an apparent cap on LTE throughput in the car of 240Kbps. The increased LTE throughput today has a dramatic affect on buffer pref-fill and song-to-song transition responsiveness.

Referring to the 4pm PST change on January 3rd I noted, it was actually a Slacker-side configuration change. It may be the reason why things started working for us around that time, even if speed-throttled. Kudos to Slacker Support for engaging in this, and making changes to try to improve a situation which appears mostly outside their control.

From Slacker Support:

It was a change on our side. We normally serve everything over HTTPS but noticed that over the LTE Network, it seems like the proxy network that Tesla is using was using a quick "Timeout" setting. Since we know that HTTPS takes marginally longer than HTTP, we switched all of the traffic to HTTP for Tesla to see if that helped (and also to help confirm that it may be the lower timeout settings that Tesla/Proxy has in place. It seems to have helped out marginally, as the reported timeouts have decreased by about 30-40%. We continue to work with Tesla on this though, as we would certainly like to get traffic serving back to normal with Tesla like everyone else by using HTTPS again.

• Love
Reactions: NicB72
As of this afternoon, I'm seeing 1-2Mbps LTE throughput and excellent Slacker streaming quality. It seems some others are alse seeing this as noted in the LTE Throttling thread. This is with one 15 minute drive under my belt. For the past few days, since posting the quoted update, I've been seeing problem-free Slacker streaming, although limited buffer filling due to an apparent cap on LTE throughput in the car of 240Kbps. The increased LTE throughput today has a dramatic affect on buffer pref-fill and song-to-song transition responsiveness.

Referring to the 4pm PST change on January 3rd I noted, it was actually a Slacker-side configuration change. It may be the reason why things started working for us around that time, even if speed-throttled. Kudos to Slacker Support for engaging in this, and making changes to try to improve a situation which appears mostly outside their control.

From Slacker Support:

It was a change on our side. We normally serve everything over HTTPS but noticed that over the LTE Network, it seems like the proxy network that Tesla is using was using a quick "Timeout" setting. Since we know that HTTPS takes marginally longer than HTTP, we switched all of the traffic to HTTP for Tesla to see if that helped (and also to help confirm that it may be the lower timeout settings that Tesla/Proxy has in place. It seems to have helped out marginally, as the reported timeouts have decreased by about 30-40%. We continue to work with Tesla on this though, as we would certainly like to get traffic serving back to normal with Tesla like everyone else by using HTTPS again.

Update: Slacker Support just got confirmation that Tesla has indeed worked with their network provider (ATT?) to increase LTE bandwidth.

Edit: See also LTE Throttling post from @JaredBanyard confirming resolution communication from Tesla Executive Support, and the fact that it may require a console reboot to resolve (LTE modem disconnect/reconnect)

TESLA CONSIDERS THIS ISSUE RESOLVED.

Last edited:
Update: Slacker Support just got confirmation that Tesla has indeed worked with their network provider (ATT?) to increase LTE bandwidth.

Edit: See also LTE Throttling post from @JaredBanyard confirming resolution communication from Tesla Executive Support, and the fact that it may require a console reboot to resolve (LTE modem disconnect/reconnect)

TESLA CONSIDERS THIS ISSUE RESOLVED.
Uh-oh. Maybe not resolved? In Arizona we're back to not loading again after two weeks working fine. Sigh.