Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Summon Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot_20191118-183412.png
Ever since the last update to my Model 3 (5% power increase etc) the summon feature has been acting up. In the Tesla app when I tap Smart Summon, it shows the car facing the wrong direction when parked and shows a wonky path the car will take. I tried rebooting the car, but that did not resolve the issue. Anyone else have this issue?

The path is largely dependent on your phone's ability to get a good gps lock itself. I like to launch the Tesla app and click on Summon and then just sit for several seconds to make sure the gps location has had time to get a good lock on me.

Give that a try

I had that issue most times in my parking garage (generally good signal) before the update. So I’m not sure if it’s necessarily a consequence of the latest update. Even so, I would test smart summon anyway and it still seemed to work if it eventually figured out its orientation. If not, then it didn’t work (and would head straight for a wall). It did still at least seem to be aware of obstacles and it would stop, hesitate, then usually just give up.

I attempted summon again today. This time the app AND the car's screen both show the car facing the opposite direction. I initiated smart summon and the car began to drive forward further into the parking spot and almost hitting the car parked in front of me. I guess I should call Tesla and see if they can fix this.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I have this same problem. It's somewhere around 75% of the time I want to use SS, it shows 180 degrees from correct. Today was the first time it showed about 90 degrees off. If I don't want to use SS, it looks fine (like it knows...). The location map has always shown the correct orientation. I can flip back and forth from location map to the summon map and they don't match. I wouldn't care except that it starts to come out of the spot the wrong way.

I'm having the same exact issue. Car orientation in summon doesn't match the cars actual direction. But it does match in the location section of the app.

I scheduled an appointment but they said it's a firmware issue and wait till a newer version comes out.