Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart summon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if the rumor is true, smart summon should be here in two weeks. With all the distractions over pricing, not many people are talking about a feature that will be coming this month. Has anyone seen how smart summons work, how is it able to make turns and pull out of spots? I feel like this is going to be super challenging. As much as I wanted to be excited about it, I am not sure how it is going to work. Right now the car can’t even see some curbs!

if the rumor is true, smart summon should be here in two weeks. With all the distractions over pricing, not many people are talking about a feature that will be coming this month. Has anyone seen how smart summons work, how is it able to make turns and pull out of spots? I feel like this is going to be super challenging. As much as I wanted to be excited about it, I am not sure how it is going to work. Right now the car can’t even see some curbs!

Electrek has an article on it. 150ft range but requires supervision. Can pin drop onto map or call to your position if <150ft away. So its not quite what Musk talked about (of course). Its another parlor trick but one that might grow into something useful.

Reactions: BestRadar
Whether its a parlor trick or not depends largely on how well it works.

As an example I have three vehicles, but I can only keep 1 vehicle in the garage. The other two are left outside side by side in front of my 2 car garage (which I have a half of set up for working out).

So that means it's shuffle time if I want to take the car in the garage (which is the Tesla). I also live alone so I don't get any assistance when shuffle times comes around.

Obviously smart summons can make the shuffle a lot easier.

As all I'd have to do is get in the vehicle behind the Tesla to move it somewhere, and when I'm parked I'll use smart summons to move the Tesla out of the garage and into the cup-de-sac, and then I'll drive the other car into the garage.

Parlor trick?
Useful feature?

I'm lazy so I'm going to say useful feature as it saves me from having to move the Tesla out of the garage my self.

Summons as it is now doesn't work as it's not reliable enough. It also has issues with the slight dip out of my driveway.

My other use for smart summons would be when I pick up my mom at her retirement community. She can't walk that well so I aways have to grab my car (which I parked a ways down) and reverse it to meet her. You might ask why she doesn't meet me there, but that's because I have to help her get to there.

Sure that's not a big save, but again I'm lazy. Plus I'd rather be outside the car when backing up then looking at the screen/mirrors/etc. Usually it's dark too.

Whether its a parlor trick or not depends largely on how well it works.

As an example I have three vehicles, but I can only keep 1 vehicle in the garage. The other two are left outside side by side in front of my 2 car garage (which I have a half of set up for working out).

So that means it's shuffle time if I want to take the car in the garage (which is the Tesla). I also live alone so I don't get any assistance when shuffle times comes around.

Obviously smart summons can make the shuffle a lot easier.

As all I'd have to do is get in the vehicle behind the Tesla to move it somewhere, and when I'm parked I'll use smart summons to move the Tesla out of the garage and into the cup-de-sac, and then I'll drive the other car into the garage.

Parlor trick?
Useful feature?
.... we shall se, eh?

It
Electrek has an article on it. 150ft range but requires supervision. Can pin drop onto map or call to your position if <150ft away. So its not quite what Musk talked about (of course). Its another parlor trick but one that might grow into something useful.

It still doesn't answer my question. 150ft of straight line or through curves or cars or what?

I am interested because sometimes when I go skiing. I am the last person to leave. In a parking lot with no people, I would love to be able to make the car drive to me through couple easy curves so I don't have to walk with the ski boots.

Reactions: Doctt
There was a thread in the model 3 forum early this morning from someone who claimed to have seen it in action and tested it extensively on an early access program car.

Their general description was that it’s a parlor trick at best and flat out failed to work in most situations, behaving exactly the way you’d think it would if you’ve been following along with any AP2+ feature releases for the past 2 years.

The description and details seemed believable to me, I didn’t see much reason to doubt the OP was genuine. But the thread was suddenly deleted and I assume the OP was banned (they said in the first post they were not using their normal account to protect the identity of the EAP participant).

Can a mod confirm what happened?

I don't agree with EAP participants releasing information as that's counter to the voluntary rules of the program.

But, what does that have do with TMC? TMC should be a free flow of information. It's not like Reddit is going to censor a post.

So why would I post here if this is simply going to be an echo-chamber that's pro-Tesla.

That doesn't do owners like myself any good. This should be an owners forum BEYOND that of a Tesla forum.

I think we're mature enough as a whole to know the difference between a product being tested, and a product that's been released. Of course it's going to have issues. Of course it's going to be broken. It's still another month until the promised release date, and we know the promised release date isn't when it actual gets sent out.

I still don't even have Sentry Mode, and it was released weeks ago. Supposedly it's still under "validation".

I just have to wonder, navigating parking lots == high probability of curb rash on your rims.
Then think about potholes, run away skate boards, and may other type of low profile obstructions... that is going to require next gen type of scanning an analysis over what AP currently suggests it can do.
Wanting to be impressed, but how? As it's a tall order to get near 99.999% accuracy.

Random... but my summon just worked at over 500 ft away (via app). Has it always had this capability? I seem to remember that if I was too far away, it'll give me an error message.

I was sitting in my office and decided to see if my car would summon forward. I pressed "forward" and just let it run for a few seconds. When I didn't get an error message, I was scared my car actually did move itself forward some in the parking garage. I walked to the parking garage to check on the car and sure enough my car (which was backed in) had moved forward a good amount where half the car was sticking out.

Is it b/c summon from the app is internet based, so as long as the app and car have connection, then it should work?

In canada, there are 3 checks...
1-You have to be holding on to the button in the app, dead man switch
2-Your phone and the car have to be close together as determined by their GPS
3-Your keyfob has to be within range of the car

These three together makes summon nearly useless. When it does work, number 1 demands a constant on connection with the internet. Takes 15 seconds to start, which starts 50% of the time, and you have a 5% chance of disconnection every second during summon which you have to start the initializing sequence over again.

Reactions: BestRadar
In canada, there are 3 checks...
1-You have to be holding on to the button in the app, dead man switch
2-Your phone and the car have to be close together as determined by their GPS
3-Your keyfob has to be within range of the car

These three together makes summon nearly useless. When it does work, number 1 demands a constant on connection with the internet. Takes 15 seconds to start, which starts 50% of the time, and you have a 5% chance of disconnection every second during summon which you have to start the initializing sequence over again.
Yup. Fun when it does work though. I wish it didn't need the key #3. Just relied on GPS fencing. I have had situation where I drive home and want to move wife's Tesla in driveway . I've done it from within my car to get around her's , but only when she leaver her keys in her car does it work.

We've had difficulty getting Summon to work with our X, even when standing next to it.

Plus they've limited the speed so much, it can't make it up the lip into a family garage we use during visits, requiring us to sometimes help by pushing the vehicle while also using Summon with the smartphone app.