Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smelly stinky socks / mold in Model 3 AC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just had mine cleaned today they don't even spray a cleaner in the system anymore. Just change the filters. Tech told me to buy carbon filters from1PZ. He also said it was a big problem with the Y/3 and he has heard rumor there may be a fix on the way
Any updates? When I only changed filters, it didn't eliminate the sour smell at all after short stops (5-20 minutes).

20230214_134439.jpg

Trying something new today, this is the 4th cleaning I've done for the AC system due to smells...

Attempt 1: Interdynamics AC Vent cleaner ($10) + new filters - Worked for about 3 months but left a bit of a pungent/cheap cleaning agent smell, has a nice little spray nozzle tube to help spray into the fins a little
Attempt 2: Klima cleaner ($18)+ new filters - Highly recommended by people, comes with a strange 360 deg extension tube, worked for about 2 months for me, the spray nozzle doesn't direct foam right into the fins so the coverage was a little suspect. Left the car smelling quite clean and scentless.
Attempt 3: Microban anti viral spray ($6) + new filters - Worked for like 2 days... doesn't seem to get deep enough into the fins even though I sprayed with the fan on, do not recommend!

Attempt 4 today: Unloaded a giant can of Frost King AC cleaner ($6.5), used a coat hanger to direct the spray nozzle from a can of Kool-it ($15). Frost King is 19oz, vs 6oz of Kool it. I haven't used the Kool it yet, saving it for next time the car stinks. The spray nozzle setup directs a fairly powerful jet of foam right into the coils. I moved the coat hanger around to jet the foam to the entire surface of the coils. After about 1/2 a can the foam was building up and started over flowing out of the filter access hole. I waited 15 mins and sprayed the rest of the can into the coils again, then waited 30 mins for the foam to dissipate and liquidfy. Everything drained out. Frost King can doesn't come with a spray nozzle extension, so it wouldn't be very effective for the Tesla if you don't already have one from a different product like Kool-it.

So far the car smells very clean with no strange cleaner scent. In my case I'm 100% certain the sour smell does not come from the filters. I'll update the thread when it starts to stink again!

• Informative
Reactions: Rmchrger
1 week pdate on the big bottle of 19oz Frost King + nozzle from Kool-it, it smells extremely fresh and clean, no hint of the stink at all and no scent to speak of, just clean air. The other foaming cleaners I used never smelled completely clean quite like this.

Looks like having a lot of foam directly spraying into the fins at a perpendicular angle did a good job cleaning.

1 week pdate on the big bottle of 19oz Frost King + nozzle from Kool-it, it smells extremely fresh and clean, no hint of the stink at all and no scent to speak of, just clean air. The other foaming cleaners I used never smelled completely clean quite like this.

Looks like having a lot of foam directly spraying into the fins at a perpendicular angle did a good job cleaning.
Yep Kool It worked for me too. I think like you said you have to make sure you coat the fins properly to get the full effect

Reactions: XPsionic
Anyone know if they have revised and fixed this issue in newer Model 3s? It's potentially a serious issue for Tesla, not because it's actually serious, but because it will make people not buy them. Like, seriously, I won't buy a Model 3 again unless I know this will not be an issue. It's just such a big turnoff.

Well the stink came back after 9 months (Tucson az so very dry environment) ran one can of kilma and new filters. Good for a week. Then it's came back. Did the same thing and added 70% isopropyl into the filter box, with another set of filters. Still stinky on startup. Argh!

Any suggestions?

Well the stink came back after 9 months (Tucson az so very dry environment) ran one can of kilma and new filters. Good for a week. Then it's came back. Did the same thing and added 70% isopropyl into the filter box, with another set of filters. Still stinky on startup. Argh!

Any suggestions?
Check the drain. It drains into the undertray, so there may be dirty water there or the drain may be clogged (or where the water drains from undertray is clogged.
Mold/Vinegar Smell from A/C

You do need to remove the frunk to see the drain however. The other way people say is if you used cleaners, they should drain within 15 minutes to the ground. If you don't see anything drain, that means drain is likely clogged.

The other possibility is the mold is growing somewhere your cleaner can't reach.

If you use AC a lot, it doesn't really matter if you are in a dry environment, the AC area will still be wet and humid. It only plays a factor if you use fan only.

Last edited:
Check the intake by removing the full length plastic shield. Inside the intake there will be a water drain check for blockage and a screen where the actual intake to the condenser is located. Check for debris. Also try running with recirculate off as much as possible.