Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smelly stinky socks / mold in Model 3 AC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. I guess I need to do this. Does anyone have instructions on how to get the drunk out?
If you like written:

Video:

Newer version is slightly different given the shape is a bit different and no bag hooks:

Reactions: Jejunjm
1 week update on the big bottle of 19oz Frost King + nozzle from Kool-it, it smells extremely fresh and clean, no hint of the stink at all and no scent to speak of, just clean air. The other foaming cleaners I used never smelled completely clean quite like this.

Looks like having a lot of foam directly spraying into the fins at a perpendicular angle did a good job cleaning.
I've managed to eliminate the terrible smell for good!

4 months update since I used a 19oz bottle of Frost King: bad smell came back after about 2 months of cleaning and changing filters, but I found a solution! Even though the car is supposed to run the fan with AC off after we get out, the smell remains terrible after short stops. What I do now is manually turn off AC 30 seconds before getting out of the car, and turn fan to 8-10 speed with recirculate off. This has completely eliminated the smell issue. I still use recirculate mode manually when I'm stuck in traffic, but as long as I remember to dry out the AC coils until the air blowing out isn't cold anymore, there's no smells.

Wish the car could do this properly automatically, I KNOW it's SUPPOSED to do this, but obviously, it doesn't work as well as what I do manually, because now the smell's gone.

TLDR: Before getting out of the car, run fan on max speed with AC off and recirculate off until air isn't cold anymore, smells gone!

I've managed to eliminate the terrible smell for good!

4 months update since I used a 19oz bottle of Frost King: bad smell came back after about 2 months of cleaning and changing filters, but I found a solution! Even though the car is supposed to run the fan with AC off after we get out, the smell remains terrible after short stops. What I do now is manually turn off AC 30 seconds before getting out of the car, and turn fan to 8-10 speed with recirculate off. This has completely eliminated the smell issue. I still use recirculate mode manually when I'm stuck in traffic, but as long as I remember to dry out the AC coils until the air blowing out isn't cold anymore, there's no smells.

Wish the car could do this properly automatically, I KNOW it's SUPPOSED to do this, but obviously, it doesn't work as well as what I do manually, because now the smell's gone.

TLDR: Before getting out of the car, run fan on max speed with AC off and recirculate off until air isn't cold anymore, smells gone!
Yeah this isn’t a solution. This sucks that you have to do that

I changed the air filter and sprayed Lysol into the coils. I had fresh air maybe two weeks then today I got the initial burst of musk on start up. Kind of disappointed 😔.

It seems it always happens when I've had a couple of abnormally humid days or rain.

Retarded honestly I like running recirc as I don’t want disgusting smoke smells trash chemicals from the outside
If you must run recirculation, use the auto mode instead of manual recirculation. People have reported manual recirculation is the problem. If you turn off recirculation and turn on auto and let the system decide when to recirculate, it seems to not cause as much problems.

Reactions: XPsionic
If you must run recirculation, use the auto mode instead of manual recirculation. People have reported manual recirculation is the problem. If you turn off recirculation and turn on auto and let the system decide when to recirculate, it seems to not cause as much problems.

I only use auto so those reports are just people that think they solved it until it happens again. I never use manual mode.

I only use auto so those reports are just people that think they solved it until it happens again. I never use manual mode.
Yes there are plenty that use auto mode with the problem, but manual recirculation seems to cause it to happen rapidly, and some people have seen relief when they disabled that, so that clearly is a significant contributing factor and may be the primary factor in some cases (in those cases it may be that pushed things just over the line).

Reactions: XPsionic
Tesla could probably tweak the SW to automatically run the fan for 30min or whatever after the AC is turned off as a bandaid, hopefully the refreshes will address this issue. Kinda defeats the "lower maintenance" costs if you have to replace air filters every year and use a can of kool-it. That's just as much as an oil change.
Yeah it’s honestly stupid… I used a different cleaner $10 bucks worked well but I basically missed the whole radiator it shot to the other side.

When I took the original filters out there were even leaves in there…..

But yeah majority of people do 1 oil change a year and paying Tesla mechanic to change them for you is basically the price of a high end oil change

Honestly only had funky AC smells in vehicles with 150K miles not brand new ones

Yeah it’s honestly stupid… I used a different cleaner $10 bucks worked well but I basically missed the whole radiator it shot to the other side.

When I took the original filters out there were even leaves in there…..

But yeah majority of people do 1 oil change a year and paying Tesla mechanic to change them for you is basically the price of a high end oil change

Honestly only had funky AC smells in vehicles with 150K miles not brand new ones
The Klima foam cleaner is a large can with more than the compartment can hold and a multi directions tube that is thorough is filling the compartment.

I had stink smell yesterday. So last night I opened up the frunk, got access to the intake vent and with the fan running on full, I sprayed Ozium deodorant amd let it sit overnight. No stink this morning.

OZIUM® 8 Oz. Air Sanitizer & Odor Eliminator for Homes, Cars, Offices and More, Original Scent - 2 Pack https://a.co/d/9M3cZhs

1688841390625.png

I’m really at a loss at this point I replaced the filters about two months ago in my model Y and I cleaned the coils and the bad smell is back. I can’t keep buying new filters and coil cleaner every few months. Does anyone else have any recommendations or something that I can try?

I’m really at a loss at this point I replaced the filters about two months ago in my model Y and I cleaned the coils and the bad smell is back. I can’t keep buying new filters and coil cleaner every few months. Does anyone else have any recommendations or something that I can try?
Did u read the bandaid fix people are suggesting? Turning off the AC but keeping airflow for the last couple minutes of your drive. I think the real issue is moisture/water coming in from the right below the wiperblades where the intake is. Its just a big hole that water can get through. There are products that sorta block it Amazon.com but will restrict a ton of airflow.

EDIT: I'd skip the above item and go for the OEM winglets that @Adam3 suggested or if your car already has them and still has the problem: https://www.amazon.com/Motrobe-Mode...model+3+hood+seal+winglet,aps,150&sr=8-1&th=1
these look like they may do.

Last edited:
There are products that sorta block it Amazon.com
but it will restrict airflow.

Tesla part # 1504932-00-A is now standard equipment. "Wings" on each side of frunk (#14 in diagram) with some rubber seal. However, it's listed as NVH cowl trim so maybe it only helps with cabin noise. I ordered it from service center but haven't installed yet - hopefully the holes line up.

teslawings2.jpg

teslawings1.jpg

teslawings3.jpg